The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homework Thread 2.0

UMB

Does anyone have a good source for scholalry articles/journals for biomechanics? Doing a lab experiment on the physics behind a basketball jump shot and SPORTdiscus sucks

Looking to find good articles/journals on what makes a jump shot "good" in regards to joint angles, angle velocities, take off velocities, jump height, forces produced by angles ..etc.

Does anyone have a good source for scholalry articles/journals for biomechanics? Doing a lab experiment on the physics behind a basketball jump shot and SPORTdiscus sucks

Looking to find good articles/journals on what makes a jump shot "good" in regards to joint angles, angle velocities, take off velocities, jump height, forces produced by angles ..etc.

Do you have access to academic journals through your school? I quickly browsed through Academic Search Premier through my school and there are a few articles on jumpshots (though I'm not sure how useful it'll be to you). Like these ones:

Alves Okazaki V, Rodacki A. Increased distance of shooting on basketball jump shot. Journal Of Sports Science & Medicine [serial online]. June 2012;11(2):231-237. Available from: Academic Search Complete, Ipswich, MA. Accessed November 7, 2013.

Lindner M, Kotschwar A, Zsoldos R, Groesel M, Peham C. The jump shot – A biomechanical analysis focused on lateral ankle ligaments. Journal Of Biomechanics [serial online]. January 3, 2012;45(1):202-206. Available from: Academic Search Complete, Ipswich, MA. Accessed November 7, 2013.

Amateur, need help, can someone help me with this:

B=7.5 A=15.3 h=?

h2 = a2 + b2

h2 = (15.3)2 + (7.5)2

h = √ (15.3)2 + (7.5)2

h = √ 234.09 + 56.25

h = 23.2

Okay, I'm super amateur, I'm guessing the square root of the h gets transferred into √.... how does this work?

I don't know how it works so what I did was, 234.09+56.25=290.34 which has the square root of 17.03 (Wrong answer)

+'s to anyone who can teach me in laymen terms lol

I think you might have written the question down wrong. If b = 17.5 then the answer is 23.2. If b = 7.5 then h = 17

Do you have access to academic journals through your school? I quickly browsed through Academic Search Premier through my school and there are a few articles on jumpshots (though I'm not sure how useful it'll be to you). Like these ones:

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can access academic journals through the school library, but most of them focus on free throws, or look at female jump shots. In our experiment, we had a skilled male and unskilled male. Was just hoping someone knew of an overseas database that I could search. If not, guess I'll have to go old school and read books :P

I think you might have written the question down wrong. If b = 17.5 then the answer is 23.2. If b = 7.5 then h = 17

Your answer should be right, might be an error in the textbook/solution manual.

The book: Page 5 out 20

http://www.surreyconnect.sd36.bc.ca/Secondary/Courses/Documents/SAs%20Jan%2027-2012/Grade%2011/Math%2011%20Apprenticeship%20and%20Worplace%20Reading%20Booklet.pdf

I wrote it down right, It must be a error, that's ridiculous.

A vertical spring with spring stiffness constant 305 N/m oscillates with an amplitude of 28.0 cm when 0.235 kg hangs from it. The mass passes through the equilibrium point (y=0) with positive velocity at t=0. Positive direction of y-axis is downward.

At what time will the spring stretch to its maximum length at first time?

HELP PLEASE

• 2 weeks later...

Ok need some help here again. Question asks for exact answer, this is a textbook example question.

a = √20

At this point you can calculate an approximation for this exact expression with your calculator to get a answer of 4.47cm however this question has asked for an exact answer.

Therefore we will try and find a perfect root that is a factor of 20. Perfect roots are found by multiplying an integer by itself. For example 2 multiplied by 2 is 4. Four is a perfect square root because the √4=2. Other perfect square roots include: 9,16,25,36,49.......

In this case 4 is the largest perfect root that is a factor of 20. That allows us to write the answer in the following simplified form:

a = √20

a = (√4) (√5)

a = 2 (√5) = 2√5 cm

http://www.surreyconnect.sd36.bc.ca/Secondary/Courses/Documents/SAs%20Jan%2027-2012/Grade%2011/Math%2011%20Apprenticeship%20and%20Worplace%20Reading%20Booklet.pdf

(page 7)

I don't understand where the 5 comes from?! or the answer for that matter......

Ok need some help here again. Question asks for exact answer, this is a textbook example question.

I don't understand where the 5 comes from?! or the answer for that matter......

The 5 is a factor of sqrt 20. Sqrt 5 and sqrt 4 multiply together and end up equaling sqrt 20. However, sqrt 4 can be factored further as its factors are sqrt 2 and sqrt 2. When they are multiplied, you get 2.

Since the sqrt 5 cannot be factored, your equation looks like 2 * sqrt 5, equaling 2sqrt5.

Basic Trigonometry question:

I'm being asked to find side "X", the missing side.

How do I know when to use Sin, Cos or Tan?

I know about SOHCAHTOA = Sin= Opp/Hyp .... Cos= Adj/Hyp ... Tan= Opp/Adj

Here's the triangle:

14avnkj.jpg

Am I suppose to use 62* as the angle, then 9.8 becomes ADJ, the side to the left is Hyp because its opposite of the right angle and then side X becomes Opp?

So does that mean I use Tan?

Basic Trigonometry question:

I'm being asked to find side "X", the missing side.

How do I know when to use Sin, Cos or Tan?

I know about SOHCAHTOA = Sin= Opp/Hyp .... Cos= Adj/Hyp ... Tan= Opp/Adj

Here's the triangle:

14avnkj.jpg

Am I suppose to use 62* as the angle, then 9.8 becomes ADJ, the side to the left is Hyp because its opposite of the right angle and then side X becomes Opp?

So does that mean I use Tan?

Yes.

When using SOHCAHTOA you determine which ratio to use based on what two sides you using.

Edit: just to make sure you have the answer right for this question...

tan(62) = x/9.8 so x = 9.8 * tan(62) = 18.431

Archived