107 replies to this topic

#91 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Can anyone who's seen the movie and read the book tell me whether going to see it would cause someone who's favourite childhood novel was The Hobbit to run screaming and crying from the theatre? What I mean is, how badly does he mess with the book, on a scale of 1-10?

I know this is generally a stupid reason to hate a movie but honestly it's the reason I'm still debating whether to go see it. I will definitely wait for the crowds to die down at least so I don't have the added insult of having to wait in line for an hour.

on the off chance that you haven't gone to see it yet, no the movie does not mess with the book. pretty much everything is touched on, and even a few things extra are thrown in for filler.

if you are worried about Jackson pulling another Tom Bombadil on you then don't worry, nothing is majorly left out. A lot of the scenes are basically exactly the same. Really there are only a few minor differences.

there's quite a lot of back story that wasn't in the Hobbit proper, though I'm pretty sure all of it was true to the canon. However there is an orc character in the movie who was actually killed like 100 years before the book actually takes place. Other than that though I was fairly impressed with how true the movie was to the book (I re-read it a couple days before going to see it)

edit: some differences (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Spoiler

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 19 December 2012 - 12:25 AM.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#92 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Loved it! Admittedly some parts bugged me. The sequence with the eagles, I imagined it differently but I can see why they did it the way they did. No problem with the Azog thing although he could have done with less screen time and better makeup. The orc chief in the book was Azog as well, not the same guy but the same name for sure. If I remember it right, the original Azog was so tough that they started naming their leaders after him? The Radagst sequence was long but again, if they're working the attack on Dol Guldur/rise of Sauron angle (and they obviously are) then it makes sense. Gotta like how they threw in some dope-smoking/mushrooms-eating jokes there too, it had to be done. Good movie, can't wait for part two. Glad they ended it where they did, exactly where I figured they would.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#93 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

If you ask me The Lord of the Rings was the one that needed to be made as multiple movies a book, not The Hobbit

Given the amount that Jackson missed in the LOTR series, I'd say the same.. maybe 2 parts for the Hobbit, and 6 parts for LOTR.

#94 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Given the amount that Jackson missed in the LOTR series, I'd say the same.. maybe 2 parts for the Hobbit, and 6 parts for LOTR.

Yes, that would have been best I think, but then again loTR are my favourite books.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#95 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,284 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Ha ha, yeah, that's the reason the studio wouldn't let Jackson make more than a movie per book, they didn't think the average moviegoer would want to sit through six, four+ hour movies.

Now I think Jakson is just saying F you to the studio by making The Hobbit into three movies.

to be fair, he's including a lot of canon Tolkien stuff outside of the book to add content.

Edited by avelanch, 19 December 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#96 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

to be fair, he's including a lot of canon Tolkien stuff outside of the book to add content.

Is that the reason? I haven't seen it yet so... The theatre in Grand Forks doesn't get it until the 28th...

Actually somewhere here or in the Rate the Last Movie thread someone talks about the assault on Dol Guldur being a sub plot in the movies.

#97 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Is that the reason? I haven't seen it yet so... The theatre in Grand Forks doesn't get it until the 28th...

What? Just drive 2 hours north to Winnipeg. Although, Winnipeg doesn't have Paridiso.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#98 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Actually somewhere here or in the Rate the Last Movie thread someone talks about the assault on Dol Guldur being a sub plot in the movies.

Dol Guldur was actually quite prevalent to my surprise (in fact in the film I would liken Dol Guldur in the first Hobbit film to Mordor in the first LOTR film as far as a "target" is concerned -- in fact now that I think about it, the tone of the film at certain sections of it almost matched FOTR), but for anyone that kept up with Tolkien works wouldn't be surprised by the inclusion of other Tolkien works with the Hobbit that were not there, including Radagast, and the plot which was altered by putting him there. Bilbo's acquisition of the One Ring seemed a bit off too.

I can tell that Jackson is indeed trying to tell the Tolkien works as best he can, but he's also limited given he cant do them all, and he wants to get some of the background across (remembering the presumption that must be made that the audience is clueless).. it seems inevitable like the LOTR film series that things that were in other works will be there (Frodo for example was there to provide background in respect to time of when the Hobbit occurred relative to LOTR), and some things will be modified to convey what Jackson is trying to paraphrase to a film viewing audience.

Edited by zaibatsu, 19 December 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#99 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

What? Just drive 2 hours north to Winnipeg. Although, Winnipeg doesn't have Paridiso.

I could drive over to Castlegar, it's about an hour drive, maybe hour and a half in this weather, but I can probably wait.

Dol Guldur was actually quite prevalent to my surprise (in fact in the film I would liken Dol Guldur in the first Hobbit film to Mordor in the first LOTR film as far as a "target" is concerned -- in fact now that I think about it, the tone of the film at certain sections of it almost matched FOTR), but for anyone that kept up with Tolkien works wouldn't be surprised by the inclusion of other Tolkien works with the Hobbit that were not there, including Radagast, and the plot which was altered by putting him there. Bilbo's acquisition of the One Ring seemed a bit off too.

I can tell that Jackson is indeed trying to tell the Tolkien works as best he can, but he's also limited given he cant do them all, and he wants to get some of the background across (remembering the presumption that must be made that the audience is clueless).. it seems inevitable like the LOTR film series that things that were in other works will be there (Frodo for example was there to provide background in respect to time of when the Hobbit occurred relative to LOTR), and some things will be modified to convey what Jackson is trying to paraphrase to a film viewing audience.

Yeah, that's the thing, trying to adapt a book to the big screen, especially a book like LOTR, is a very daunting job and you're more than likely going to piss a few hard core fans off but that's the sacrifice you need to make when you adapt a book to a movie, you need to make it accessible to the entire movie going audience.

#100 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

I think anyone considering that the Hobbit film is going to be the Hobbit book verbatim will be sorely disappointed, but their disappointment would be their own fault if they've ever seen any film adaptation of a book.. I've never seen such a thing.

For people who don't like long and drawn out, this is definitely not the film for them. For the first half of the film, the plot drags on, especially the Shire/Bag End scene.

I can only imagine when an extended version is released how long it will be. :lol:

I am a bit more confused though about the 48 fps thing.. as far as I know I only saw it in IMAX 3D but I keep hearing that IMAX 3D was in 48 fps anyways? If it was, I noticed no difference at all compared to other IMAX 3D films I saw (the last one being Avengers).

#101 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I loved it. Took a while to get going but when it did it was great.

Can't wait for the next one. I was a huge LOTR fan as a kid and it's all come flooding back haha. Will the third movie be bridging the gap? Seems like they can only get one more movie out of The Hobbit, but maybe I'm wrong.

#102 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

worst movie. too much talking

#103 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

Solid logic.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#104 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,056 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

Posted Image

#105 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,144 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

not enough singing

i would have liked a few more dwarf songs, tbh

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#106 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,056 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

Yeah, two good songs in Bag End and then that's it...

#107 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Yeah, two good songs in Bag End and then that's it...

the great goblin sang a song, sort of...

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#108 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,082 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

I loved it. Took a while to get going but when it did it was great.

Can't wait for the next one. I was a huge LOTR fan as a kid and it's all come flooding back haha. Will the third movie be bridging the gap? Seems like they can only get one more movie out of The Hobbit, but maybe I'm wrong.

An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug, and There and Back Again.

So it was worth seeing at the theatre?
I tend to prefer Extended editions...though I did see the LOTR's at the theatre...then buying the box set later...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.