The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Social media contribute to mass killings in USA?

WHL rocks

Actually when you insulted with the very first reply to my post in the other thread, is when I started ignoring you. Then you continued to ramble on about things which I didn't pay attention to. In fact when I saw your name I simply scrolled over your posts without reading.

Actually when you insulted with the very first reply to my post in the other thread, is when I started ignoring you. Then you continued to ramble on about things which I didn't pay attention to. In fact when I saw your name I simply scrolled over your posts without reading.

:lol: Just can't resist confirming my previous posts, can you?

In regard to the thread title - what originally instigated the thread being created was not about whether social media contributes to mass killings but whether or not Facebook and Twitter are the root causes of mass killings. Which is what Special Ed stated is the case. He has refused to back up this claim with any facts or figures.

For anyone wondering what my 'insulting' post was, this is it:

In response to this:

Why should I bother having a discussion with someone who only has things to say about my viewpoint 'that are not even semi-polite'. My viewpoint that social media could very well be contributing to these violent acts or at the least cause an increase in them as of late. I have presented some information which was also conveniently ignored. I let that go. Bottom line is our conversation wasn't going to work out between us as evidently shown in your original post, yet you ceased to relent. You had no intention of being polite to me and are surprised when I don't respond. Sound logic.

I don't know to what degree if any social media contributes to the frequency of events like this but I think in the aftermath it's harmful effects can definitely be witnessed. Today I've seen a witch hunt occur online where the perpetrator's brother was the target of abuse. I've also seen people use this event to inform reductive and discriminatory points of views. Let's face there is never any meaningful dialogue through social media. Things people agree with get the most likes or upvotes, there is no discussion. Just look at this forum for example, it's an example of online connection and yet I have very rarely witnessed any people approach discussion here with any degree of being open-minded.

Here is something that social media and the news media have created:

Connecticut School Shooter Media May Have ID'd Wrong Guy

1214-school-shooting-ap-article-3.jpg

Numerous TV news outlets and websites are scrambling after they named a man and showed his picture, claiming he was the shooter in the Connecticut school massacre, but it seems they had the wrong guy.

The outlets claimed Ryan Lanza killed at least 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School, including at least 20 children. Some of the outlets also splashed his pic on the screen.

Problem is ... it looks like Ryan Lanza isn't the shooter. Someone began posting messages on Ryan's Facebook page denying he's the shooter, even saying "F**k you CNN. It wasn't me." FYI ... CNN didn't post the pic -- it was iReportCNN, a user-generated forum.

NBC reported they may have gotten the name wrong because the shooter had an ID in his pocket that made them believe Ryan Lanza was the culprit.

Law enforcement sources now tell AP the shooter is Ryan's brother, Adam.

1214-ryan-lanza-article-feed-facebook-4.jpg

This isn't the first time stuff like this has happened (Anonymous, Amanda Todd case ring a bell?) Putting innocent peoples lives at risk because misinformation can be passed along so quickly and easily.

Bingo. It goes without saying the mental health system in the US badly needs an overhaul...even the halfway competent psychs are the pharmaceutical companies' bitches...and what they prescribe to these younger kids more often than not causes a hell of a lot more issues via side effects than they treat. You want to know the honest truth of what could actually be a root cause in a lot of these incidents...it's not social media...it's the swiss cheese mental health system in this country.

@IDFSpokesperson vs @AlqassamBrigades

Youtube anything to do with war or shooting

Google homemade bombs

Contribute to random mass shootings in the US? Probably tough to tell or prove... contribute to violence, murder, war, propaganda, bloodshed on a huge scale all around the world? Unquestionably

All due respect Wetcoaster but I only mentioned the US system because I live in the US and that's the one I'm most familiar with. I knew nothing of the problems with the Canadian one, however after reading your enlightening info in the post above, I now feel even worse knowing the mental health systems elsewhere aren't worth a crap either.

Archived