The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

The players from the 09 draft are developing.

I'll admit that the 08 draft was horrible. The only significant player to come out of that was Hodgson, and he pretty much landed right in Gillis's lap. However, Gillis had only been on the job for like a month at that point though. Not sure he had a whole lot of time to prepare.

The 09 draft was one of his strongest drafts. Just cause they haven't played in the NHL doesn't mean they're not good players. The Canucks have the luxury of developing their prospects properly.

Schroeder is a better player than some people on here will have you believe. I think people will be surprised when he steps in and starts putting up points.

Rodin has hit a little rut right now, but he still has a ton of skill, he just needs to bulk up. Not unlike Mason Raymond, who wasn't able to crack the NHL until he was 23.

Connauton is a solid offensive defenseman. He set records in the WHL playing for the Giants, and went on to play in the all-star game in the AHL while winning hardest shot. Right now he's trying to round out the defensive side of his game; which is why there's a drop in his stats. He's still gonna be a good player though.

Price was an awesome pick in the 4th round, probably our most underrated pick. He's putting up great numbers in college and is the captain of his team.

Andersson has been a pleasant surprise for a 5th round pick. He's got great size and skating. He could be a good depth defender in a couple years.

Cannata again looks like a real good late round pick. He's stuck as a backup right now, but he'll get his shot.

I would say that's a pretty solid draft if you ask me. It's too early to tell with 2010-2012 drafts, but there seems to be some real good players there too.

I've heard a lot of whining about Vancouver trading their picks in 2010 and then selecting McNally in the fourth round.

On the other hand they signed both Lack and Tanev as UFAs in 2010.

I'd say they pretty much compensated outside the box there.

Very hard to complain about pulling Jensen, and Corrado out of the 2011 class.

Henrik Tommernes (7th round) is a good young defenseman in the SEL who is overlooked.

"A mobile, offensively skilled defenseman, Tömmernes is a very good skater and playmaker from the back end. Has terrific hockey sense, his defensive game is solid as well. Often gets his point shots through the traffic in front of the net."

2012 - it's really too early, but I think Gaunce is a better outcome than we could have hoped for at 26 (at the right position) - if people are going to complain, do it now - or perhaps spare us the hindsight later on...

Calgary's 2008 picks...

Is Greg Nemisz, Calgary's 2008 first round pick is something to brag about? 15 games and a point in his NHL career so far. Calgary's 2nd round pick in 2008, Mitch Wahl has been demoted from the Heat to the ECHL...3rd - Lance Bouma? Totally underwhelming. Nicholas Larson? 11 points in 52 college games in the last two years....

BTW Calgary traded the pick that turned out to be Jake Gardiner....

Hodgson and Sauve look awful damn good in comparison.

2009 -

Calgary's 1st, Tim Erixon certainly isn't leaving Schroeder in his dust.

Rodin, Connauton... not exactly being outshone by Ryan Howse.

Not exactly striking envy into Canucks fans.

The only reason why Cannata hasn't been in Chicago is because there's a log jam at goaltending right now. He's good enough to play in the AHL, he showed that he was capable. I wouldn't worry about his ECHL numbers, the Wings best defenseman is Polasek.

As for Anthony, I don't think it's worth mentioning a 7th round pick. The odds are so low that these picks ever turn out. You can't blame drafting if they don't. If he somehow manages to surprise and make it in the NHL someday, it would just be a bonus, but it's very unlikely.

Oh that hurts. Critical words about player development from a Flames fan... You have to go back to 2008/Glencross, or 2004/Giordano to find a homegrown player worth mentioning hahaha!!

The majority of your favorite team was formulated by those guys before Feaster - and since Feaster arrived all he's done is add bad contracts. There's an awful lot riding on one Baertschi's shoulders!

I don't see Sauve as a bad pick. He is a solid defensive blueliner, aggressive with a mean streak - he was developing nicely and threatening to crack the Canucks roster when he was hit by a car, severely concussed, and missed months of the 2010 season. He was considered "pretty lucky to be playing after car crash" / "from hood ornament to the NHL|". Sauve is a solid guy who would have made the next step on many other rosters.

Irony - Flames fans making fun of Canucks blueline prospects.

Care to take a few shots at Canucks centers too lol?

And the one player that was able to play regularly in the NHL under the Gillis regime, he traded away! Nice try though.

Bad contracts were already here when Feaster took over. He added players in their prime capable of producing. Yeah, how awful. Try harder when trolling man, not challenging.

Right, because a 7th round pick is supposed to make the NHL rightaway the following year, lol. He's doing better than LaBate who I remember everyone was stoked about on here when he was picked

And why do you always circle back to the Sutter era? What good does that accomplish? Does that make you feel better about your current GM's poor track record?

Archived