The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lunch Lady Fired for Giving Free Lunch to Low-Income Student

dudeone

What happens is these food stamp recipients sell the food stamps at local corner stores or small grocery stores for less than face value. The store owner cashes out the full value but only provides the customer .75 cents on the $ but in cash instead of following the law and selling only approved items.

The govt needs to spend for effort enforcing the law and starting to go after the store owners. They have started to put more effort in this regard lately.

Then all you do is go in and buy a bunch of canned and dry storage goods and sell it for 50 cents on the dollar. Just buy you groceries from the local food stamp people with booze and smokes. Now they are the store owners. How you going to stop that?

It's foolish to think more enforcement and bureaucracy will make someone give up smokes or booze simply because they are poor.

No one thinks it will completely stop. It's impossible to stop ppl from drinking and driving in BC even when it costs over $5k and you have to take courses, counselling and install a device in you car when caught.

But I'll tell you what. This being a sports team forum and us being sports fans you should know many athletes (most in NBA and NFL and many in MLB) made it to the big leagues because of the school lunch program and food stamp program.

There are countless number who did not make it to the major leagues but went to college and got an education because of these programs.

Like I said earlier, some kids in my high school in the US looked like university/college athletes in Canada. They were all well fed and healthy. This is the reason they excelled in sports. Many others excelled in school because they got a descent meal and went on for higher education.

Imo a full stomach is just as important as having a text book. You can have all the books but if you are starving you can not concentrate on anything else. You won't have the energy to study, will power alone won't cut it.

I'll overlook your historical ignorance about Republicans and Democrats, especially prior to JFK.

I will, however, note that by any contemporary standards of Republican and Democrat, this wouldn't have happened under any Republican President, rest assured.

No one thinks it will completely stop. It's impossible to stop ppl from drinking and driving in BC even when it costs over $5k and you have to take courses, counselling and install a device in you car when caught.

But I'll tell you what. This being a sports team forum and us being sports fans you should know many athletes (most in NBA and NFL and many in MLB) made it to the big leagues because of the school lunch program and food stamp program.

There are countless number who did not make it to the major leagues but went to college and got an education because of these programs.

Like I said earlier, some kids in my high school in the US looked like university/college athletes in Canada. They were all well fed and healthy. This is the reason they excelled in sports. Many others excelled in school because they got a descent meal and went on for higher education.

Imo a full stomach is just as important as having a text book. You can have all the books but if you are starving you can not concentrate on anything else. You won't have the energy to study, will power alone won't cut it.

Archived