The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

why'd you come back here?

to live at home for the summer and save money :(

finally listening to the new The National album.

a lot of weird time signatures going on, which i like. second song pulls off 7/4 as well as anything.

they don't really blow me away, but when i think of them i think of words like "tasteful" and "relatable" and stuff. that dude is a hell of a drummer for sure though, he became the high-point of the band for me once i heard Fake Empire for the first time.

finally checked out that mikal cronin (am i spelling that correctly?) album

enjoyed it, not as much as ty segall's stuff, but i really dig the music (first and last songs are best, imo).

camera obscura was 'eh' ish for me, which sucks because i lo(ooooooooooooo)ve their early work

to live at home for the summer and save money :(

finally listening to the new The National album.

a lot of weird time signatures going on, which i like. second song pulls off 7/4 as well as anything.

they don't really blow me away, but when i think of them i think of words like "tasteful" and "relatable" and stuff. that dude is a hell of a drummer for sure though, he became the high-point of the band for me once i heard Fake Empire for the first time.

That album gets better with each listen.

I can probably already name it as my album of the year.

finally checked out that mikal cronin (am i spelling that correctly?) album

enjoyed it, not as much as ty segall's stuff, but i really dig the music (first and last songs are best, imo).

last song (piano mantra) is super good and peaceful. my favourite is "don't let me go."

"can't take this feelin from me"

That album gets better with each listen.

I can probably already name it as my album of the year.

yeah, High Violet grew on me soo much, it's still the most played thing on my itunes and i haven't listened to it in like a year.

I listened to Random Access Memories for the first time today to hear what the fuss was about, expecting it to be another one of the duo's electronic house albums. I was never a major fan of theirs, though I enjoyed "One More Time" when it was released as a single just over a decade ago; I was never too impressed by EDM. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it is a funk/art rock album.

It's nice to see a disco/funk revival, although I wouldn't say it's anything groundbreaking. The album is being carried into the public eye because of the artist's reputation. I certainly don't think it would appeal to the masses as much if the name on the cover was not Daft Punk. It is partially a jazz funk album, partially art rock; funk and disco dominated the late 1970s, and countless recordings were made in that style. It stands alone today because no other renowned artist is recording music of those genres, and I think most of its acclaim is based on its uniqueness in today's mainstream music scene.

Some of the songs remind me of The Alan Parsons Project. The fact they use sessions musicians and vocalists as well reminds me of APP, although it isn't written as well as APP's music.

The album is consistent with 70s funk music and art rock. I enjoy those genres. so I may listen to a few of the songs again. It isn't too impressive, though, as it's been done before. "Giorgio by Moroder" is one I might listen to again. The duo can release the album and be creative because their name is recognizable. Good for them. It's a nice album. I am glad to see some older genres receive some new-found recognition.

OK, I'm back-tracking a bit, because this came out last year...

Anybody hear the new Deerhoof album yet?

For some reason, I couldn't find it at first, and kind of forgot about it until recently. Man, it's a blast!

Not a fan of Deerhoof at all, although I like their name

And speaking of the animal kingdom

Modest Mouse have just canned their entire european tour to finally focus on completing their new album. Thank god for that. About 3 years late if you ask me.

After two major disappointments, I finally stopped giving the Flaming Lips the cold shoulder. Glad I did, the new one is outstanding.

Between that, VW, and The National, I've been a pretty happy camper. It's more than made up for the forgettable Phoenix album, and the terrible Yeah Yeah Yeahs monstrosity (I have been a big fan, but everything about that album is just horrible...even the cover!).

You're not a fan of the new Phoenix? I really (really!) enjoy the first half. Second half blurs together, but because it's so short I don't even really mind.

And how could you forget about Nick Cave!

I think it's one of his best, and significantly better than almost everything I've heard this year. I hadn't listened to it for a while until the last two weeks, and I've listened to it (start to finish) about 10 times since. Suuuuper good.

i remember loving a Drones album a few years ago. the one that had that Jezebel song on it? whatever it's called. such a great song!

anyone hear the new Smith Westerns album yet? can't find it anywhere online, but i'm really interested

Best albums Ive heard this year

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the sky away - Great lyrics and hooks, just great songs in general, the whole way through. If you havent heard this one yet, you havent been paying attention to new music.

Hayden - Us Alone - This underrated canadian folk rocker delivers again. Beautiful album, almost as good as 2007's In Field & Town. Saw him live at the RIo Theatre recently and it was the best show iv seen in a while, funny story telling, nice fan interaction, and of course great songs

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - Acclaimed? yes Popular? yes, but these guys deserve all the attention they get. Whereas electronica has become soulless, these guys continue to offer heart and humanity behind the beats, and of course still deliver the hooks like few in their genre can.

Edwin Collins - Understated - I had never tried Edwyn Collins, though i was always aware of his existence. Just knew him from his 'Girl like you' song which was on the Empire Records soundtrack. Glad i picked up his new one, its really good. He's got a great voice, and the songs are consistently good. It definitely gets better with every listen.

Decent albums

Kurt Vile - Waking on a Pretty Daze As a whole, its a nice laid back and chilled out piece, that serves as very good background music. Not saying i dont like it, i think its decent and i like how he stretches out the songs, but when i feel like listening to a single song to groove to on my ipod, i probably will revert to his previous album

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious Inconsistent, some great songs like the title track and Peach Blossoms, others i skip over. Love the Eels, but he hasnt delivered a consistent effort since Blinking Lights & other Revelations

Disappointments

Johnny Marr - The Messenger Not really feeling this. The instrumentation all kind of overlaps and blurs together, and his voice is bland. Couple decent songs, but nowhere near the level of a Modest Mouse or Smiths album.

Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood - Black Pudding - bunch of bluesy throwaways. Love Lanegan, but unfortunely theres not much memorable here, besides a couple instrumentals

The Ocean - Pelagial - I dont know, maybe im just not that into metal. Thought id like this though, but the vocals in particular do little for me. I can see metalheads being all over this, but not for me

French Films - White Orchid - Not much here worth coming back to. Was recommended to me on another forum, but i dont get it. Supposed to be a The Cure sounding type effort.

Born Ruffians - Birthmarks - Decent album, much better than their last one. But not up to par with their outstanding debut album. Poppy indie stuff, starts strong, but a few songs in takes a nosedive.

The National - Trouble will find me - Might need more listens as High Violet really grew on me. But so far, i find it to be mood pieces without the stunning sense of melody and atmospherics that they usually bring. Couple good songs though.

Baths - Obsidian

absolutely fantastic album. I used to know this dude through another forum, but for whatever reason never really bothered to check out his music. his new album, though, is great. it's like a really angsty version of The Postal Service or something

either way, definitely worth checking out, really good stuff.

Archived