The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Players are being blamed unfairly

Calicojack

I really don't get why anyone who posts in favour of the players gets a ton of negative feedback. Although I think both sides are to blame for this mess, the players seem to be getting the majority of the hate from fans. Am I mistaken, or were the players LOCKED OUT by the owners?

Its almost like some fans feel like they are the ones paying the player's salaries (and yes, indirectly they are) so they get angry when the players fight for a bigger piece of the pie. But its not like we fans are going to be charged less money if the the players make less, the only people who will feel this is the team owners. Us dumb fans are charged the same regardless.

We are doomed to keep reliving these lockouts until the system itself is fixed. The problem is that some teams make tons of money, and some lose tons of money. The only way the league will ever be fair is if the bottom feeding teams are moved or eliminated, there is much more revenue sharing for a healthy league, and there is a solid, reasonable salary cap.

I really don't get why anyone who posts in favour of the players gets a ton of negative feedback. Although I think both sides are to blame for this mess, the players seem to be getting the majority of the hate from fans. Am I mistaken, or were the players LOCKED OUT by the owners?

Its almost like some fans feel like they are the ones paying the player's salaries (and yes, indirectly they are) so they get angry when the players fight for a bigger piece of the pie. But its not like we fans are going to be charged less money if the the players make less, the only people who will feel this is the team owners. Us dumb fans are charged the same regardless.

We are doomed to keep reliving these lockouts until the system itself is fixed. The problem is that some teams make tons of money, and some lose tons of money. The only way the league will ever be fair is if the bottom feeding teams are moved or eliminated, there is much more revenue sharing for a healthy league, and there is a solid, reasonable salary cap.

I'd love for you to take an economics course and learn something about supply/demand, free markets, leverage, operational leverage, monopoly, elasticity or take a law course and learn about something called collusion, anti-trust behavior, or learn about the difference between negotiating and capitulating, or take a math course and learn about the difference between a million and a billion (hint: it's very large..a billion is a thousand million).

The lack of education shown by so many Canadians on forums is frightening.

i want you people to think about this:

Alexander Ovechkin is being paid top dollar, because he WAS one of the most exciting players in the game. Now, he's just a joke-- another whiny player who doesn't get what he wants when the coach calls him out for his BS, because what? he signed a big, fat cheque, you business experts here seem to know all about, and this is what you're paying for? this is what you're defending? i mean, really? you'd go to these lengths to make me look like a jack off? a supposedly talented player who just phones it in most nights?.

it doesn't take a business expert to know, without us fans, there is no NHL. There barely is an NHL, i mean, let's get real folks, this league is a complete joke.

I'd love for you to take an economics course and learn something about supply/demand, free markets, leverage, operational leverage, monopoly, elasticity or take a law course and learn about something called collusion, anti-trust behavior, or learn about the difference between negotiating and capitulating, or take a math course and learn about the difference between a million and a billion (hint: it's very large..a billion is a thousand million).

The lack of education shown by so many Canadians on forums is frightening.

it really doesn't matter. at the end of the day, all the players whine about how they put their careers on the line every night, yet they demand more than what they're actually worth. look at the guys who play baseball for crying out loud. some unknown dude gets paid 20M a year? does a police officer go out and earn 20M a year? Does a firefighter go out and make 20M a year? I really don't care what any one says here, telling me to go take a course, this and that. I'm just tired of this whole thing and I really don't care if the NHL folds. A hockey player is not worth as much as these people are demanding

it really doesn't matter. at the end of the day, all the players whine about how they put their careers on the line every night, yet they demand more than what they're actually worth. look at the guys who play baseball for crying out loud. some unknown dude gets paid 20M a year? does a police officer go out and earn 20M a year? Does a firefighter go out and make 20M a year? I really don't care what any one says here, telling me to go take a course, this and that. I'm just tired of this whole thing and I really don't care if the NHL folds. A hockey player is not worth as much as these people are demanding

Archived