The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Players are being blamed unfairly

Calicojack

Didn't 6 or more owners sit down with 12 or so NHL players in a barganing session a couple weeks ago in an attempt to move the talks along? Im sure all the owners were updated as to what went on in those meetings. If I were an owner of an NHL franchise, I would be demanding to know exactly what is going on, regardless if I'm apart of your ol boys club or not.

Didn't 6 or more owners sit down with 12 or so NHL players in a barganing session a couple weeks ago in an attempt to move the talks along? Im sure all the owners were updated as to what went on in those meetings. If I were an owner of an NHL franchise, I would be demanding to know exactly what is going on, regardless if I'm apart of your ol boys club or not.

The funny thing is, a lot of people see players making millions. (Jealous people) Not many see, that it's a buisness and the players are the ones playing the game not owners, yet owners want majority of the pie...sound fair??? I guess as long as buisness owners keep making making thousands every week and employee's make hundreads it's fair right. Protect your jobs and secure your future people...that's what we all want from our jobs, regardless if you love it or hate it!!!

The funny thing is, a lot of people see players making millions. (Jealous people) Not many see, that it's a buisness and the players are the ones playing the game not owners, yet owners want majority of the pie...sound fair??? I guess as long as buisness owners keep making making thousands every week and employee's make hundreads it's fair right. Protect your jobs and secure your future people...that's what we all want from our jobs, regardless if you love it or hate it!!!

I think this lockout can be blamed on both parties but for different reasons.

When the lockout first began I was on the side of the players. They gave up huge amount after the last lockout and finally bought into the salary cap idea and went with a economic plan that the owners desired and claimed would fix the problem. Then after increasing league revenue each season after the last CBA the owners come out and say we're still paying to much and the players need to take a pay cut. This to me was just ludicrous and I was 100% behind the players when the lockout began.

Now as time has past and the negotiations have continued the players have agreed to the economic demands of the owners( which was much more more for the players then the original deal proposed by the league). This brings me to where my support has changed from the players to the owners. A CBA should be done with the best interest of the league and the integrity of the game and while the economic issues are big part of that, the players stance on contracts and prolonging this lockout because of these terms is not in the best interest for anyone other then the players. The new contract proposals are all based on maintaining a team unity and the ability to retain/sign prospective players. By denying these new contract limitations the players are being selfish and only thinking about themselves rather then the good of the game. And that is why personal my support has changed from the players to the owners.

At the end of the day both sides need to get there heads out of there asses and realize that the longer this lockout drags on(and the season possibly gets cancelled) that it will affect the game much greater then nit picking over semantics in the CBA. If the fans don't return it won't matter how good the CBA is the league will struggle financially and we will be in this same situation come the expiry of the next CBA.

I look at it as calculated risk, not unnecessary risks.

Risk is built into the dna of every business man on this planet. From the guy who borrows and begs from family and friends to start a shoe shining business on the sidewalk of a slum in Africa to the owner of the Tampa Lightning who invests hundreds of millions $ in a professional sports team.

Owners will not relent, they will get the best deal possible. It's a calculated risk on their part, I'm confident they know what they are doing.

One billionaire could have a brain cramp and guide his/her company into going bankrupt, But not 30 billionaires siting together in a board room advised by the best lawyers, accountants and business school graduates in the world.

Calculated risk is justified. It's part of doing business.

Archived