The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US gun owners show off their Christmas 'toys'

dudeone

Basically any weapon that can fire rapidly shouldn't be allowed. There is no reason to own one. You want to hunt? Fine, shoot reload shoot reload that's fine. You want to shoot like crazy at a gun range? Fine, with their weapons in approved locations. Why people need guns, whatever you want to call them, that can shoot multiple rounds rapidly is beyond me.

People on this forum make me sick.

They have no idea about guns and make ignorant comments on the matter. Who cares that those guns are called "assault rifles" they are still semi automatic.

I can go purchase a mini 14 hunting rifle, semi automatic firing .223 rounds the exact same bullet as that ar-15 and shoot it just as fast. Also with full metal jacket bullets that will punch through a Bullet proof vest.

How about an sks firing ak-47 rounds with 30 shot clips.

That's just 2 "hunting" rifles I can go buy at any gun store in BC.

So city slickers that have ZERO idea about guns and believe everything they read should stop commenting. And also saying they have no purpose but to kill people is a retarded statement.

People like to target shoot, go out to the range and blast off a few hundred rounds, it's awesome but it doesn't mean we are red necks who want to kill people.

All the guns used in the recent shootings in the states might not be purchasable in Canada, but anyone with a gun licence can buy a gun that will do as much, or more damage.

I own lots of guns and have lots of ammo, semi auto, shotguns etc. does that mean I'm going to go on a rampage? Nope, it just means I like to hunt and have fun like 95% of people who hve guns.

Basically any weapon that can fire rapidly shouldn't be allowed. There is no reason to own one. You want to hunt? Fine, shoot reload shoot reload that's fine. You want to shoot like crazy at a gun range? Fine, with their weapons in approved locations. Why people need guns, whatever you want to call them, that can shoot multiple rounds rapidly is beyond me.

Yes I am.

Is it the rifles that scare you?

I'll say this, just because a rifle design doesn't date back to the 19th or early 20th century, it doesn't mean that the owner is a mass murder or an extremist.

AR-15s have been around for close to 60 years now, they are now mainstream just as all the military derived rifles (which is nearly all traditional hunting rifles) before them are mainstream.

Technology moves on, just as it would be unreasonable to expect people to be restricted to using 100 year old communications technology, so too is it unreasonable to restrict them to 100 year old firearms designs.

Even the older design firearms aren't safe from the control crowd, they've started to become stigmatized as "sniper rifles" and other things.

And AR-15s and its variants have been the weapon of choice in mass shootings.

I grew up around firearms and learned to shoot and safely handle them from a young age. And I was later trained to shoot handguns.

What scares me in the US is the number of weapons and the huge magazines that can find their way easily into the hands of people without much in the way of background checks or training.

More guns, less regulation and way too many firearm homicides.

There are a LOT of AR-15s in the U.S., its basically their default civilian rifle now, however rifles as a whole only account for like 4 or 5% of U.S. firearms deaths, IIRC.

As for the rest, if you can't trust your law abiding citizens, who can you trust?

I'll ask you--at what point do you admit you can't trust people to not shoot themselves? Yes, there are law abiding gun owners who would never do anything bad, but with the daily stories of multiple murders/accidents/etc...can you trust for public enough to own guns? Are all the unnecessary deaths worth upholding that 'right'? Is there ever a point where you say enough is enough?

Not unless I wanted to say "enough is enough" with the rest of the United States Constitution.

None of this stuff was a serious problem before recent times, and it seems the same '60s generation responsible for changing society for the worst are the ones insisting they need to control guns and the internet.

The checks and balances that used to apply to U.S. decision making have so been badly eroded, and the actions of the power elite have been so disconcerting in recent years, that any attempt to make changes to the Constitution are not going to viewed in the same light as in the past.

The checks and balances that used to apply to U.S. decision making have so been badly eroded, and the actions of the power elite have been so disconcerting in recent years, that any attempt to make changes to the Constitution are not going to viewed in the same light as in the past.

What does that mean? It might be hard so forget it? I just don't understand the all or nothing point of view. Restricting or eliminating access to certain guns is not banning them or denying anyone's rights. But start talking about it and its like you're denying them the right to breathe or something.

Restriction and registration inevitably leads to confiscation, as we've seen so many times in the past. And in many examples of when rights or power were stripped from a population, people *did* end up ultimately being denied the right to breathe...

In my family history, on both sides of the family, having guns made all the difference. I'm speaking of WW2 France and early 20th century Dixie America here.

When it comes down to it, people, whether individuals or organizations, respect strength and abuse weakness.

Archived