The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Accelerated Buyouts.... I like it!

nuck luck

Two reasons I'm thankful for this new accelerated buyout....

1) A few teams might have been out of the picture for Lou's services because of his Cap hit, this amendment might give those teams an option to put in a bid now. Increasing the number of bidders won't hurt and / or it might be the perfect trigger for a team like the Flyers to make a bold move now.

2) This should muffle the idi0ts who think that MG will use the buyout on Lou.... If he doesn't use it now than it's unlikely he'll use it at all.

i definitely like it too... i woildnt mind offering gomez minimum if we cant land arnott.

Luongo would never get bought out. He has one of the best contracts in the league. 5.3 For a goalie that is an elite top goalie in the league is an absolute steal. He will only get better the next few years. Hopefully he shows Schneider who is boss and gets the starting job back ASAP.

1) A few teams might have been out of the picture for Lou's services because of his Cap hit, this amendment might give those teams an option to put in a bid now. Increasing the number of bidders won't hurt and / or it might be the perfect trigger for a team like the Flyers to make a bold move now.

the only players being bought out are redden and gomez before the start of the season end of story watch the various sports shows the only reason the accelerated buyout was put in to place was the nhlpa thought it wasn't a good thing to have gomez and redden sit at home doing nothing just because their team doesn't want them to get injured

now redden and gomez can get new contracts and play this year

Why wouldn't they? They have a long history of failures between the pipes and they went nuts on the opportunity to pick up Bryz (not a proven #1 like Lou). Now, they got a gift of a clause to rectify their mistake and get a proven #1..... and lower their cap a little.

Pre-clause, you could argue that they won't carry two goalies with the cap situation and that, most likely, they would wait until the summer when the buyout came into effect. These arguments would now be mute.

Money has never been an issue with their organization, we know their not scared of long contracts and they have shown that they don't shy away from bold moves....so why wouldn't they?

the only players being bought out are redden and gomez before the start of the season end of story watch the various sports shows the only reason the accelerated buyout was put in to place was the nhlpa thought it wasn't a good thing to have gomez and redden sit at home doing nothing just because their team doesn't want them to get injured

now redden and gomez can get new contracts and play this year

I would take Lou over Bryz in a second... today, tomorrow and yesterday! They are in two different leagues....but I should have used "upgrade" instead ;)

And did the owner say this before or after the Accelerated Buyout? If it's prior...than my speculations are valid. If the owner made the statement after the Accelerated Buyout....than I must be wrong! I mean, NHL teams never lie in situations like these....

Why wouldn't they? They have a long history of failures between the pipes and they went nuts on the opportunity to pick up Bryz (not a proven #1 like Lou). Now, they got a gift of a clause to rectify their mistake and get a proven #1..... and lower their cap a little.

Pre-clause, you could argue that they won't carry two goalies with the cap situation and that, most likely, they would wait until the summer when the buyout came into effect. These arguments would now be mute.

Money has never been an issue with their organization, we know their not scared of long contracts and they have shown that they don't shy away from bold moves....so why wouldn't they?

Who didn't consider Bryz a proven #1 before he came to Philly? He had 4 years starting for Phoenix, finished top 5 for Hart voting and was a Vezina finalist in 2010. Then they signed him to a hefty contract...with Luongo they'd take on another proven #1 (somebody who's also shown some bad playoff performances) and a really long contract. Plenty of reasons for them not to jump on Luongo.

I'm not sold on it.

I know the deal was done to help players like Redden and Gomez...but not only them. Otherwise, they wouldn't have put a lowered cap minimum of $3 million on the Accelerated Buyout when their cap hits are $5.6 and $6.5 respectively. If you were right, they would have put the limit at $5.6 or $5 million minimum.

The $3 million minimum gives other teams options and a few of those teams might prefer to take the players cap hit now instead of next year when the league Cap is lowered. If a team was thinking about the buyout next summer, I'm sure they're more inclined to act now... I predict more players will be bought out than just the two we discussed.

Lots of teams need to sign or re-sign players next year and the lowered Cap is gonna create havoc....you think that they won't consider the accelerated buyout now so that they can use the saved cap space next year? If some teams don't...they should!

I thought that the Flyers would inquire about Lou before they made it official (not sure if the Flyers org admitted to it, but a few in the 'know' did). And the #1 goalie position is a little tougher to replace than a 2nd/3rd-line center or a bottom pairing Dman....not to mention that the odds of a serious injury are lessened at this position (These are viable explanations for Bryz not being sat out like Redden and Gomez).

I still think that there is a good chance....better now, that this deal might get done with the Flyers. Or at least serious offers made....increasing the value regardless.

Who didn't consider Bryz a proven #1 before he came to Philly? He had 4 years starting for Phoenix, finished top 5 for Hart voting and was a Vezina finalist in 2010. Then they signed him to a hefty contract...with Luongo they'd take on another proven #1 (somebody who's also shown some bad playoff performances) and a really long contract. Plenty of reasons for them not to jump on Luongo.

Im happy for the buyout process and how it was handled. Nobody should be sent home and told not to play the game they love (even though he is getting full salary). Its good that Gomez and Redden have the opportunity to still be in the NHL this year.... Gomez will be getting rewarded for his terrible season last year by getting his full salary from Montreal and a new salary from whoever signs him. I could see him going back to the Devils.

again the accelerated buyout was put in place for players that will be sitting out this year just because you can buyout 1 player before the start of the season doesn't mean teams are all of a sudden going to go panic mode and buyout players because of next years cap they will have more than enough time in the summer to buyout players if they choose so right now like many anyalists have already stated this was basically put in to help redden and gomez find new teams and they don't expect any other teams to use this option since their is no reason to

Archived