The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Credit where credit is due. He scored a goal.

Still, more is expected in terms of offense.

Just so we can be clear what are your expectations of him in terms of offense.

If he had 17 goals in 77 games last year is our expectations 10 goals in 48 games? Or are we setting higher expectations for a guy coming to a new team after an injury?

What exactly are your expectations of him Tort?

Just so we can be clear what are your expectations of him in terms of offense.

If he had 17 goals in 77 games last year is our expectations 10 goals in 48 games? Or are we setting higher expectations for a guy coming to a new team after an injury?

What exactly are your expectations of him Tort?

This is why I am tracking his Magic Number for points.

Some say he isn't producing offensively enough to justify his contract. He would need to score about 0.4ppg to equal last year's output meaning he would need 19p in 48gp. Currently sitting at 4 points.

15 to go.

Garrison keeps improving game after game.

Big goal last night and 5 sog.

Also was solid as a rock in the d-zone. Crisp tape to tape passes and no panic.

Great signing.

Totally agree. He is getting better every game. They asked more of him because the injury to Bieksa and I think he more than delivered. He was physical and kept his position and head. I think this guy was a great signing by Gillis.

I don't know if the injury is still slowing him down. But he looks like an average skater at best his mobility is a concern especially given the fact he is not very physical despite having good size.

Doesn't look like an upgrade on Salo so far. They miss Salo's calm demeanor and right shot.

No such thing. NOBODY is an upgrade on Sami.

But Garrison is just what the Canucks needed, when they needed it.

Big top 4 with shutdown ability, big shot/two way upside - reaonsable cap hit - and can also be counted on to eat up big minutes.

Sami is one of a kind, but he's a 35+ contract and Yzerman, who can afford to take the risk, offered the two year term and good money - I'm glad Sami is having a great season - 8 points and +11 - guy is amazing.

He signed for upper tier almost all star calibre money..

Not saying he wont gel and be a important defender on this team.

But he is not worth the value we pay him..

Not his fault but Im really starting to questing MG's signings, he doesnt see value in guys we have, but we take "chances" on other players with big money deals, and lets be honest they are not panning out, and were being stuck with large contracts for relatively ineffective players that will handcuff our team for years down the road.

I don't know if the injury is still slowing him down. But he looks like an average skater at best his mobility is a concern especially given the fact he is not very physical despite having good size.

Doesn't look like an upgrade on Salo so far. They miss Salo's calm demeanor and right shot.

I speculated that that could have been a part of what appeared to be laboured skating and agility.

That was a few weeks ago.

But i think his skating looks much better now, he is now joining rushes now, and his positioning has been rock solid.

A bit early to say if he is an upgrade. The plus is that he is younger, and can have similar upside.

But like many here have echoed, along with certain Hockey analysts, agreed that he really had a knack for calming down the team. When you would think the team was scrambling, or caught out of position from mad scarmbles and broken plays, there was Salo; making the right play.

Hamhuis has that sort of deft defensive ability, hopefully the younger guys can continue to learn from him.

I speculated that that could have been a part of what appeared to be laboured skating and agility.

That was a few weeks ago.

But i think his skating looks much better now, he is now joining rushes now, and his positioning has been rock solid.

A bit early to say if he is an upgrade. The plus is that he is younger, and can have similar upside.

But like many here have echoed, along with certain Hockey analysts, agreed that he really had a knack for calming down the team. When you would think the team was scrambling, or caught out of position from mad scarmbles and broken plays, there was Salo; making the right play.

Hamhuis has that sort of deft defensive ability, hopefully the younger guys can continue to learn from him.

Tanev has that calmness to his game. Edler shows it in spurts but still isn't consistent.

Still to me the Canucks seem like the only team whose left handed shot d-man can't flat out play on the right side.

The value of a right hand shot can't be overstated for a team like the Canucks who don't seem to have any left hand guys comfortable playing on the right side.

Ehrhoff is long gone yet he may have been the only one I remember play decently on the right side as a left shot when he was paired with Edler at times.

Tanev has that calmness to his game. Edler shows it in spurts but still isn't consistent.

Still to me the Canucks seem like the only team whose left handed shot d-man can't flat out play on the right side.

The value of a right hand shot can't be overstated for a team like the Canucks who don't seem to have any left hand guys comfortable playing on the right side.

Ehrhoff is long gone yet he may have been the only one I remember play decently on the right side as a left shot when he was paired with Edler at times.

Fully agree. Ehrhoff was great at breaking out the right side. It became almost a hallmark for the Canucks.

Hamhuis seems to be the only one that can play both sides.

Archived