Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Proposed Gun Control Legislation Does Not Violate Second Amendment - Say 52 US Law Profs

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#91 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

I don't know what point you're trying to make re: Pete Shields. The guy is long gone and any attempt to use a comment that he made more than three decades ago to strengthen the "slippery slope" argument is as weak as it gets.

As far as your other "sources" go, they're basioally opinion pieces from gun supporters. I checked the link that you posted and decided to do a search of my own. I was unable to find the original quote attributed to William Clay, however, I did find several more internet sites that had gun advocates referring to this quote. I'm not claiming that he never said it, but the fact that the only evidence I can find is that supplied by the NRA and/or it's supporters makes me question it almost as much as I do the Pete Shields quote.

Regarding the handgun bans in the three cities:

I was debating the issue of any type of gun control eventually leading to a ban on handguns with another poster. I referred to the fact that such a ban has already been declared uncostitutional by the Supreme Court.

You respond with an example of three cities that had bans in place before the Supreme Court decision, but despite the fact that you are well aware of the SCOTUS decision, you don't see your argument as disingenuos?

Uh, the ban had to happen before the SCOTUS decision, by no means was the SCOTUS decision inherent. There's no better proof of an intent to ban guns than gun bans put in place, I thought. I guess maybe you believe they were just kidding? I can only wonder what would be in place now should the bans not be overturned.

Edited by zaibatsu, 01 February 2013 - 01:39 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#92 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

You see Scott, that is the problem right there.

If something is going to change in the US, it has to start with people's attitudes. I refuse to believe that there aren't reasonable gun advocates out there who realize that there is no need for semi-automatic weapons or ammo clips that hold 30 shots.

These people need to make themselves heard. The need to stand up to the fear mongers in the gun lobby and refute the "slippery slope" argument. They need to let their fellow gun owners know that the handgun battle has already been waged in the Supreme Court. They aren't going back.

The reasonable gun owners need to stand up and be the voice of reason in the face of those who claim that the government is out to strip you of all your rights and impose the New World Order in Obamaland.

The reasonable gun owners need to try and change the attitudes of their less reasonable fellows.

Because until attitudes towards gun ownership begin to change, nothing else will.

Here's a newsflash then...NOTHING is going to change in the US. I hate to burst your bubble, but these people...these people who want moderation? They have been heard, ridiculed, and dismissed. No one in Washington really wants a compromise on this issue. In a lot of cases, it's my way or no way...and you know what? That's America for you. No one wants to give an inch, but they'll take a mile if they can. You are living in a dream world if you think reason and rationality is going to work down here in Jesusland. This isn't pessimism...this isn't cynicism...it's truth. As long as the gun lobbies have as much pull as they do, whether for or against gun control..NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 01 February 2013 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#93 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,025 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Here's a newsflash then...NOTHING is going to change in the US. I hate to burst your bubble, but these people...these people who want moderation? They have been heard, ridiculed, and dismissed. No one in Washington really wants a compromise on this issue. In a lot of cases, it's my way or no way...and you know what? That's America for you. No one wants to give an inch, but they'll take a mile if they can. You are living in a dream world if you think reason and rationality is going to work down here in Jesusland. This isn't pessimism...this isn't cynicism...it's truth. As long as the gun lobbies have as much pull as they do, whether for or against gun control..NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

I feel sad for your country if that is actually true...and I feel sad that you believe it to be so, if not.

Myself? I'm not so sure.

I've been following these incidents for quite a while. I remember the NRA holding a rally in Colorado less than a month after Columbine. I remember at the time thinking that the roar of outrage would be deafening. To my surprise (and disappointment) there was next to nothing.

I saw the same lack of reaction to Amish School shootings and many others up to and including Aurora...

But after Newtown, I'm seeing something different. There seems to be more of an "enough is enough" attitude out there. People are finally speaking out. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe the deaths of those 20 innocent children can have at least some positive effect on American society.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#94 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I feel sad for your country if that is actually true...and I feel sad that you believe it to be so, if not.

Myself? I'm not so sure.

I've been following these incidents for quite a while. I remember the NRA holding a rally in Colorado less than a month after Columbine. I remember at the time thinking that the roar of outrage would be deafening. To my surprise (and disappointment) there was next to nothing.

I saw the same lack of reaction to Amish School shootings and many others up to and including Aurora...

But after Newtown, I'm seeing something different. There seems to be more of an "enough is enough" attitude out there. People are finally speaking out. I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe the deaths of those 20 innocent children can have at least some positive effect on American society.

Yeah...I remember everything you mentioned...and that was precisely my point. Nothing changed after those tragedies...why should this one be any different? I'm not saying I don't want there to be change...I'm saying the track record so far after tragedies leads me to believe nothing is going to change this time either.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#95 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Myself? I'm not so sure.

I don't find overreacting to be a positive aspect, nor do I find a high amount of susceptibility to intense media coverage a positive aspect either. The crux of the problem with American politics in general lies upon the duopolist two party mentality which isn't inherently a problem itself except for the fact that the two sides are so extensively polarised with an agenda there is little room for cooperation.

I can't trust the gun control lobby and politicians favouring gun control to not take cited gun control (i.e. ambiguous assault weapons ban) to the next level as it's been tried several times before, I can't trust politicians, NRA, or second amendment supporters to give an inch because of this.

So in light of the two polar options, I side with the explicitly stated right, as I would any other right.. it is what it is.

Edited by zaibatsu, 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#96 AmericanRuse

AmericanRuse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

One thing I find sad about the gun debate in regards to bullets in magazines: if you're a duck hunter, you're only allowed to have about 3 bullets in your gun when you're shooting at ducks, and if you don't , the game warden can punish you for it, yet they don't have that limit on humans.

#97 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

One thing I find sad about the gun debate in regards to bullets in magazines: if you're a duck hunter, you're only allowed to have about 3 bullets in your gun when you're shooting at ducks, and if you don't , the game warden can punish you for it, yet they don't have that limit on humans.

Curious as to what sort of duck hunters these are who shoot ducks or game birds with 'bullets'. Hunted for years with my Dad and his buddies and never used and never saw any of them ever use 'bullets' to bring down a goose or a mallard or goldeneye or a grouse or a ptarmigan or a pheasant....... in fact, not one duck hunter I know of uses 'bullets' to go duck hunting.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 01 February 2013 - 06:21 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#98 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Curious as to what sort of duck hunters these are who shoot ducks or game birds with 'bullets'. Hunted for years with my Dad and his buddies and never used and never saw any of them ever use 'bullets' to bring down a goose or a mallard or goldeneye or a grouse or a ptarmigan or a pheasant....... in fact, not one duck hunter I know of uses 'bullets' to go duck hunting.

Here is President Obama shooting pigeons (made of clay) with a shotgun - it is not a semi automatic assault weapon so that is unlikely to satisfy the gun loons. The photo was released when his claim that he went shooting all the time at Camp David was met with disbelief by some "Skeeters".

BTW he decided to hunt clay pigeons when he was unable to locate any snipes after hours of trekking through the woods.

Just a piece of advice... do not go quail hunting with Dick Cheney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8jeLyCjltQ

Posted Image

Accompanying the release was this statement from the White House:

"This official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House."

NOTE - President Obama does not approve nor endorse my use of the photograph.

Some have doubted the President's claim of shooting as a hobby:

When President Obama mentioned last week that he had picked up a new hobby — skeet shooting at Camp David — it was a surprising disclosure by a president whose main identification with guns these days is his effort to ban assault rifles and high-capacity magazines.

To some, Mr. Obama’s newfound enthusiasm for shooting clay pigeons — he said in an interview that he did it “all the time” at the presidential retreat — also seemed a bit suspicious.

So on Saturday, the White House tried to silence the skeptics by releasing a photograph of Mr. Obama shooting on the range at Camp David in August. The president, wearing protective glasses and ear-muffs, is squinting down the barrel of a shotgun moments after pulling the trigger. Smoke is shooting from the front of the gun.

The White House said the photo was taken on Aug. 4, Mr. Obama’s 51st birthday. But it offered no further details on whether his target practice was a regular hobby or a one-time event.

The notion of the president taking aim at targets flung into the air captivated some in the political and social media worlds at a time when he is pushing Congress to enact sweeping restrictions on high-capacity rifles and magazines.

Conservatives scoffed, comics mocked, a congresswoman challenged him to a skeet-shooting contest, a fake picture of an armed Mr. Obama circulated on the Internet, and the White House tried to make the whole matter go away.

“It was a surprise to a lot of people in the industry when we saw that and heard that,” said Michael Hampton Jr., the executive director of the National Skeet Shooting Association, whose 35,000 members do not include the president.

Mr. Obama is hardly the first politician to draw scorn for boasting of experience with guns. In 2007, during his first presidential campaign, former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts was ridiculed when he said, “I’ve always been a rodent and rabbit hunter — small varmints, if you will.” In 2004, John Kerry, then a presidential candidate and now secretary of state, was lampooned for showing up in camouflage to go hunting less than two weeks before the election.

The latest commotion has its origins in the interview Mr. Obama gave to The New Republic, now owned by Chris Hughes, a Facebook co-founder and former Obama campaign aide. In the interview, Franklin Foer, the magazine’s editor, referred to the fight over gun control and asked if the president had ever fired a gun.

“Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time,” Mr. Obama said.

“The whole family?” Mr. Foer asked.

“Not the girls,” he said, “but oftentimes guests of mine go up there. And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations. And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake.”

Mr. Obama went on to say that the reality of guns in urban areas differs from that in rural areas. “So it’s trying to bridge those gaps that I think is going to be part of the biggest task over the next several months,” he said. “And that means that advocates of gun control have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes.”

The skeet-shooting comment caught many off guard because it is not something the president has talked about. While other presidents have used the skeet-shooting range at Camp David, database searches of Mr. Obama’s speeches and interviews turned up no mention of participating.

“I would refer you simply to his comments,” Jay Carney, the White House press secretary, told reporters who asked after the interview was published how often the president shoots. “I don’t know how often. He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I’m not sure how often he’s done that.”

Asked why no one had seen a picture or heard about it before, Mr. Carney said, “Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs.”

That did not satisfy the skeptics. The Washington Post’s “Fact Checker” column cast doubt on the claim, while Fox News quoted an unnamed person saying Mr. Obama had participated once during a Marine competition at Camp David but not “all the time.” Representative Marsha Blackburn, Republican of Tennessee, went on CNN to question the assertion.

“I tell you what I do think,” Ms. Blackburn said. “I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I’ll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I’ll beat him.”

Gun rights supporters said the president was evidently trying to reach out to gun owners to assuage their concerns about his legislative proposals.

“He clearly doesn’t get it,” said Chris Cox, the chief lobbyist for the National Rifle Association. “But in his effort to pursue a political agenda, he apparently is willing to convince gun owners that he’s one of us, that he’s a Second Amendment supporter.”

Mr. Cox said no one was fooled. “Skeet shooting, whether you’ve done it or not, doesn’t make you a defender of the Second Amendment,” he said.

While White House officials privately dismissed skeptics by comparing them to “birthers” who doubted that Mr. Obama was born in Hawaii, even some liberals found the skeet-shooting comment hard to believe.

Jon Stewart of “The Daily Show” made fun of Mr. Obama’s statement as well as those who doubted it. He essentially agreed with Mr. Cox that it was pointless for the president to try to reach out to gun rights supporters who do not believe him.

“The point is, Mr. President, what are you doing? Why try?” Mr. Stewart asked. “As far as most of your opponents go, no measure of detente, true or disingenuous, will ingratiate you to your opponents. It’s a fool’s errand.”

Indeed, the release of a single photo did not prove that the president went skeet shooting “all the time,” and in an age of skepticism, Mr. Obama’s team recognized it might not put the matter to rest. “Attn skeet birthers,” David Plouffe, the former White House senior adviser, wrote on Twitter as he posted a link to the photo. “Make our day — let the photoshop conspiracies begin!”

http://www.nytimes.c...ml?pagewanted=2
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#99 Electro Rock

Electro Rock

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Posted Image
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."

Norman Thomas

#100 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Well, you could probably find 52 law professors that say the opposite.

Banning assault type weapons will do little to stop gun violence because most gun deaths are caused by handguns.

The 1994 ban on assault weapons did nothing to stop gun violence.

So what happens next if the ban on assault weapons fail? A ban on handguns? That will never fly.

So you say that they shouldn't ban assault rifles because it doesn't make a difference? And what would be the most logical reason for not banning assault rifles? What are they used for and what purpose do they serve? The only people who oppose the ban to assault rifles are NRA nutjobs and street gangs like MS13, 13th street gangs and other gangs who like to use these weapons against cops and anyone that gets in their way.

Posted Image

#101 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Live by the gun die by the gun? Former Navy Seal, author (“American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History”) and sniper who claimed 150+ kills of "insurgents" from 1999 to 2009 was shot dead at a Texas shooting range along with an acquaintance. An arrest has been made by police.

Posted Image

Posted Image

GLEN ROSE, Texas — Texas authorities say a man has been charged with murder in the deaths of former Navy SEAL and author Chris Kyle and another man at a Texas gun range.

Sgt. Lonny Haschel with Texas Department of Public Safety said in a news release Sunday that 25-year-old Eddie Ray Routh of Lancaster was arraigned Saturday on two counts of capital murder.

Haschel said Erath County deputies responded to a shooting at the Rough Creek Lodge at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday and found the bodies of 38-year-old Chris Kyle and 35-year-old Chad Littlefield.

Police said they believe Routh shot the two men at about 3:30 p.m. and fled. Routh was found at about 8 p.m. Saturday at his residence in Lancaster, police said.

Kyle wrote the bestselling book, “American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History,” detailing his 150-plus kills of insurgents from 1999 to 2009.

Kyle was sued by former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura over a portion of the book that claims Kyle punched Ventura in a 2006 bar fight over unpatriotic remarks. Ventura says the punch never happened and that the claim by Kyle defamed him.

Kyle had asked that Ventura’s claims of invasion of privacy and “unjust enrichment” be dismissed, saying there was no legal basis for them. But a federal judge said the lawsuit should proceed. Both sides were told to be ready for trial by Aug. 1.

http://news.national...ce-make-arrest/

Edited by Wetcoaster, 03 February 2013 - 10:00 AM.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#102 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Live by the gun die by the gun? Former Navy Seal, author (“American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History”) and sniper who claimed 150+ kills of "insurgents" from 1999 to 2009 was shot dead at a Texas shooting range along with an acquaintance. An arrest has been made by police.

Posted Image

GLEN ROSE, Texas — Texas authorities say a man has been charged with murder in the deaths of former Navy SEAL and author Chris Kyle and another man at a Texas gun range.

Sgt. Lonny Haschel with Texas Department of Public Safety said in a news release Sunday that 25-year-old Eddie Ray Routh of Lancaster was arraigned Saturday on two counts of capital murder.

Haschel said Erath County deputies responded to a shooting at the Rough Creek Lodge at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday and found the bodies of 38-year-old Chris Kyle and 35-year-old Chad Littlefield.

Police said they believe Routh shot the two men at about 3:30 p.m. and fled. Routh was found at about 8 p.m. Saturday at his residence in Lancaster, police said.

Kyle wrote the bestselling book, “American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History,” detailing his 150-plus kills of insurgents from 1999 to 2009.

Kyle was sued by former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura over a portion of the book that claims Kyle punched Ventura in a 2006 bar fight over unpatriotic remarks. Ventura says the punch never happened and that the claim by Kyle defamed him.

Kyle had asked that Ventura’s claims of invasion of privacy and “unjust enrichment” be dismissed, saying there was no legal basis for them. But a federal judge said the lawsuit should proceed. Both sides were told to be ready for trial by Aug. 1.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#103 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a government plot to take guns away from veterans. PTSD is a fabrication of the government to push for gun control legislation. The timing is obvious and the government's plot is transparent. Government government freedom rights taken government. AMERICA!
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#104 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Caption the photo of Obama firing the shotgun... my entry:

"Shhh... be vewy vewy quiet... we're hunting Wepubwicans....haaahaahhahahha....."

Posted Image

#105 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Rambo supports the ban on assault weapons and other gun control legislative proposals... and who would know better, eh???

Sylvester Stallone says that despite his Rambo image and new shoot-’em-up film, Bullet to the Head, he’s in favour of new U.S. gun-control legislation.

Stallone supported the 1994 so-called “Brady Bill” that included a now-expired ban on assault weapons and hopes that ban can be reinstated.

“I know people get [upset] and go, ‘They’re going to take away the assault weapon.’ Who ... needs an assault weapon? Like, really, unless you’re carrying out an assault ... You can’t hunt with it. ... Who’s going to attack your house, a [expletive] army?”

The 66-year-old actor, writer and director said he also hopes for an additional focus on mental health to prevent future mass shootings.

“It’s unbelievably horrible, what’s happened,” Stallone said.

“I think the biggest problem, seriously, is not so much guns. It’s that every one of these people that have done these things in the past 30 years are friggin’ crazy. Really crazy!

“And that’s where we’ve dropped the ball — mental health. That, to me, is our biggest problem in the future — insanity coupled with isolation.”

http://www.theprovince.com/health/Rambo+Stallone+backs+assault+weapons+says+mental+health+problem/7906946/story.html#ixzz2JrO0xN00

#106 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Who would know better than a Hollywood actor using fake guns and special effects who agrees with me?

He was right about one part:

"I think the biggest problem, seriously, is not so much guns"

Anyways, besides that:

- Supported Brady Bill and nutty first-step legislation.
- Believes "crazy people" and mass shootings have only been around or prevalent for 30 years.

It's not surprising a far reaching gun control nut would use this as an example for why banning "assault weapons" is a good idea, when really this article is, more than anything else, to promote Stallone's new film.

Guess I better start citing Ted Nugent. ;)

Edited by zaibatsu, 03 February 2013 - 12:52 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#107 Electro Rock

Electro Rock

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."

Norman Thomas

#108 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

live by the gun die by the gun.

#109 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Chris Kyle still has nothing on Simo Häyhä: The White Death

Posted Image
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#110 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

So according to reports Chris Kyle was "mentoring" war veterans with PTSD by taking them to a gun range and placing a deadly weapon in their hands...

Seems a lot like the wack-a-doodle practise of banks giving away a free firearm to new banking customers.

Now if someone only had a gun to stop this bad man with PTSD and a gun... oh wait.

#111 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

live by the gun die by the gun.

Late to the party?

Already noted:

Live by the gun die by the gun?

#112 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

The only crazies are in the gun rights movement.. oh wait:

Convicted Rapist is Leader of Ohio Anti Gun Movement

According to Buckeyefirearms.org, one of the organizers of an anti gun protest at a gun show in Ohio is, in fact, a convicted rapist.

In an interview with Dayton Daily News Jerome McCorry made the following statements. “We know that guns are being sold on the floor inside Hara Arena illegally” said Jerome McCorry. “No background checks no identification of any kind.”

McCorry said “AK-47s and M16s are not gonna be used for hunting, they’re not going to be used to protect anybody. These are the weapons that are coming back and being used in mass murders and mass killings.”

First off we just want to point out that private sales are still legal in most states, none of the weapons in question are fully automatic, no rifle used in a mass shooting has ever been linked to a gun show, the AR-15 is currently the most popular hunting platform in the USA and murders with rifles account for less than 400 deaths a year. OK, now that that’s out of the way.

According to Buckeyefirearms.com, the same Jerome McCorry who has given multiple interviews in the media over the years advocating for stricter gun control is in fact the same Jerome McCorry who islisted in the sex offender registry as a convicted rapist.

The Dayton Daily News made no mention of McCorry’s criminal past.

Read the full article here:
http://www.buckeyefi...s.org/node/8759

http://gunssavelives...i-gun-movement/

The rapist is right, less people with guns is less harmful.. for the person committing the crime of course. ::D

Edited by zaibatsu, 04 February 2013 - 12:08 AM.

-- Jeff Ross

#113 woofwoofmoomoo

woofwoofmoomoo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Records: Veteran had been in mental hospital

http://www.sfgate.co...tal-4248233.php

#114 woofwoofmoomoo

woofwoofmoomoo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Records: Veteran had been in mental hospital

http://www.sfgate.co...tal-4248233.php

Fox News just said Routh is being arrested for violating Texas state laws: Human hunting season doesn't begin until next week, and by shooting more then one person in one day, he's already over the limit. He's going to get the most severe punishment known to NRA members: GUN CONFISCATION!!! His lawyer said they might get it bargained down to simple electrocution in the electric chair instead, god bless Texas!

#115 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

So according to reports Chris Kyle was "mentoring" war veterans with PTSD by taking them to a gun range and placing a deadly weapon in their hands...

Seems a lot like the wack-a-doodle practise of banks giving away a free firearm to new banking customers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cglnvXzitOQ

Now if someone only had a gun to stop this bad man with PTSD and a gun... oh wait.

ummmm... you do know that 1) the gun used was UNLOADED (so it's no different then giving away a free hockey stick or baseball bat with no bullets,) and 2) that scene was staged for the movie. He didn't just walk in off the street.

might as well post the garbage Alex Jones spews out and call it "fact" if you are going to use Michael Moore.

#116 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

ummmm... you do know that 1) the gun used was UNLOADED (so it's no different then giving away a free hockey stick or baseball bat with no bullets,) and 2) that scene was staged for the movie. He didn't just walk in off the street.

might as well post the garbage Alex Jones spews out and call it "fact" if you are going to use Michael Moore.

I disagree..

The analogy seems apropos.

#117 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

And the American pro gun lobby is incensed that people are pointing out the incongruity of sniper Chris Kyle being murdered at a gun range and putting deadly weapons in the hands of persons suffering from PTSD.

And then things really went off the rails when one of their own and the darling of the right wing Tea Partiers - former congressman and presidential candidate Ron Paul tweeted:

Chris Kyle's death seems to confirm that "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword." Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn't make sense

The right wingers lost their minds and branding Paul a traitor to the cause. :lol:

In 140 characters, the newly retired congressman reminds us why he — and maybe his son — won't top the GOP presidential ticket

When news started spreading that Chris Kyle, a former SEAL and author of the best-selling autobiography American Sniper, was shot dead with a friend over the weekend — allegedly at the hands of a PTSD-suffering former Marine he was trying to help by taking him shooting at a hunting range — conservatives were incensed over the callous tweets of "some on the anti-gun Left." And then this happened:

Chris Kyle's death seems to confirm that "he who lives by the sword dies by the sword." Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn't make sense

— Ron Paul (@RonPaul) February 4, 2013

And just like that, the three-time Republican presidential candidate's tenuous coalition of pro-gun libertarians, anti–Federal Reserve goldbugs, and foreign policy non-interventionists crumbled. Paul is an opponent of gun control — saying after December's Newtown, Conn., grade school massacre that "more guns equals less crime" and that "private gun ownership prevents many shootings" — but also of U.S. military adventurism.

Kyle, also an outspoken gun-rights advocate, earned a reputation in Iraq as one of the deadliest snipers in U.S. military history. With Twitter erupting in outrage over his comment, Paul took to Facebook to explain himself:

As a veteran, I certainly recognize that this weekend's violence and killing of Chris Kyle were a tragic and sad event. My condolences and prayers go out to Mr. Kyle's family. Unconstitutional and unnecessary wars have endless unintended consequences. A policy of non-violence, as Christ preached, would have prevented this and similar tragedies. -REP

That not-quite-apology didn't quell the anger or the virtual yelling. "You really are vile," tweeted GOP strategist Rick Wilson; Commentary's John Podhoretz said Paul's tweet was "appalling." The newly liberated Paul "is more callous than ever, with an extra helping of sanctimony and a healthy dollop of anti-military sentiment," say the editors of Michelle Malkin's Twitchy. Not content with just "dancing on the grave of a military hero," Paul poured fuel on the fire by invoking Jesus to justify his "ghoulish" views. Even Paul's son, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) — rumored to have presidential ambitions himself — rushed out a statement to Breitbart.com: "Chris Kyle was a hero like all Americans who don the uniform to defend our country. Our prayers are with his family during this tragic time."

Et tu, Rand? says Ryan W. McMaken at Lew Rockwell's LRC Blog. Yes, "every American soldier is a hero, just like the Bronze-Star-winning Timothy McVeigh and the Marine Lee Harvey Oswald." But Rand isn't the only "sycophantic" conservative throwing Ron Paul under the bus for "truth-telling about the tragic outcomes that are sure to come from time spent in a military where rape, suicide, domestic abuse and general killing are widespread."

Who can be surprised that conservatives... have been falling all over themselves to condemn Ron Paul for quoting Jesus — in correct context, by the way — to note that the violence wrought by over a decade of nonstop war in America leads to tragedy on the home front?... The most transparent were the conservatives who claimed to be former supporters of Paul who must now go support some more "patriotic" politician: One who doesn't actually question anything the military does.... This is what it comes down to for most conservatives, of course. All that stuff about laissez faire and freedom and free markets has never been more than an act and an affectation.... Among conservatives, Ron Paul has only ever had minority support, for in the end, conservatives love government, as exhibited by their latest outrage. They just love it in a slightly different way from the left liberals. [Lew Rockwell]

Well, for better of for worse, this is the genuine Ron Paul, says BuzzFeed's Rosie Gray. Paul has started sending off his own tweets "since he left office," according to a spokeswoman, so "get used to off-the-cuff Twitter activity from the former presidential candidate." Paul's "remarkably offensive 140 character eulogy" is certainly a good reminder why politicians are "protected from scrutiny by both aides trained in press relations and friendly journalistic outlets," says Noah Rothman at Mediaite.

Paul has long opposed American military action... but the former veteran has begun to conflate the missions that he opposes with the men and women who carry those missions out. The sentiment Paul broadcast in this tweet betrays a contempt for Kyle that is, at best, ill-timed.... Paul would be smart to apologize for this insensitive remark, but his political opponents should be thankful for the clarity this unguarded moment has provided the general public. Though the 2012 campaign is long over, Paul's most stalwart supporters continue to insist that the Texas libertarian is the only politician who has the best interests of the troops at heart. This tweet would suggest otherwise.

http://news.yahoo.co...-072000026.html

#118 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Come on who doesn't want a couple? And one for the kids:

Posted Image

#119 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

The above article is full of a lot of useless fluff, some ridiculous alarmist rhetoric, and obfuscates Ron Paul as if he isn't a fervent supporter of the second amendment -- don't worry, he is, and guaranteed he logically opposes the ridiculous "assault weapons" bans too. He also understands, as a doctor, and a person with common sense, that a "friend" should not be taking a person with PTSD to a gun range to as a remedy, and that Chris Kyle wasn't doing either of them any favours.

The American media with respect to politics are ridiculous and just about never help people understand an issue in logical context. I see nothing wrong with what Paul said, I do see an odd reaction and media helping make a big deal out of a simple tweet.

Edited by zaibatsu, 05 February 2013 - 01:24 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#120 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

The above article is full of a lot of useless fluff, some ridiculous alarmist rhetoric, and obfuscates Ron Paul as if he isn't a fervent supporter of the second amendment -- don't worry, he is, and guaranteed he logically opposes the ridiculous "assault weapons" bans too. He also understands, as a doctor, and a person with common sense, that a "friend" should not be taking a person with PTSD to a gun range to as a remedy, and that Chris Kyle wasn't doing either of them any favours.

The American media with respect to politics are ridiculous and just about never help people understand an issue in logical context. I see nothing wrong with what Paul said, I do see an odd reaction and media helping make a big deal out of a simple tweet.

You missed the point... even Ron Paul was perplexed at putting deadly weapons in the hands of war vets suffering from PTSD.

And these are quotes attributed to right wing pundits and spokesperson. not the dastardly left wing media indulging in rhetoric and obfuscation The rhetoric and obfuscation is being left up to gun loons and their apologists.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 05 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.