The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

crowd

zejono

Normally, it's quiet.. Like the Avs game, it was dead silent... But against an opposing rival, and a much hated rival lemme add to that, it'll be louder..

Oilers games are getting louder and if the Bruins show up here next season, it'll be one loud evening. I think LA games will get louder and louder as slowly but surely, the Kings are becoming one of our hated teams as well

Vancouver's hockey crowds have always been quiet. Before they moved to The Garage, The Pacific Mausoleum was perhaps the most quiet rink in the league. Now, at Rogers Centre, it is the same as it always has been... dead quiet.

Here's a theory for you to ponder, though... Fans on this board always talk about how the crowd can "pump up" the players. I see that as a true statement, but, I also feel that the players have the ability to "pump up" the fans with stellar play. The more top-shelf play the fans see, the more goals the team scores, the more involved the fans become.

Evidence: '75 playoffs v. Habs, '82 Cup run, West Coast Express era with a high scoring, run-and-gun style, '94 Cup run, '11 Cup run, '93 Canucks 9-0 win over Flames, any playoff game, most "big" regular season games.

Stop always blaming the fans for the barn being quiet. The players and the style of play have a lot to do with the silence, too.

The last time I was at a game, they played that cartoon of the obnoxious jerk harrassing everyone and spilling his stuff and basically being an ass and the message was "Don't be that guy" or whatever. It sure made me more self aware and a bit quieter than I normally would be.

Then, security kicked out some people and from what I could tell, all they were doing was being loud (not obnoxious) and jeering Calgary(even though we were playing LA). This was in the upper bowl.

So, it seems to me that the powers at Rogers Arena are very aware and concerned about crowd control and making sure things don't get to loud or rowdy or whatever. They probably have a hand in the music "DJ" Dave plays also, in an attempt to somewhat subdue the crowd.

The last fewgames I have been watching for the fans in the seats and actually don't see too many suits and disinterested people but that could be what the tv camera wants me to see. It's not like the type of crowd you see in old footage of Pacific Coliseum but there are lots of young people and seemingly working class folks. I don't know, management probably has alot to do with the in house atmosphere.

I was at the the game last night, 1st row . The crowd was actually pretty awesome compared to most nights everyone was booing Keith whenever he touched the puck, Lu was getting his cheers, I think it also helps that is friday night game against a rival

but I do agree the crowd is usually quiet, I think the building design has a lot to do with the acoustics

Archived