The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With Luongo, i thought it was not about the regular season

Ashmon

Which speaks volumes about his inconsistency from game to game. Why do so many people on this forum think it's acceptable for a goalie to post a shutout in one game, get blown out in another couple, and post a shutout after that? It's the same team playing in front of him every game, do the excuses for their poor play only apply when Luongo has a bad game?

Ok guys, I'm willing to bet that we'll all agree that Luongo is twice the goaltender that say for example Dan Cloutier was, yes?

Now if we had Cloutier in our net for the last number of postseasons would we be losing games by scores of 16-1, 8-0, 14-2, 10-1, etc. etc.? If Luongo doesn't shoulder the majority of responsibility for getting lit up the way he has so many times then this Canucks team must be downright terrible, right?. Like miss the playoffs by ten miles, Columbus Bluejackets terrible. Somehow though we manage to win Presidents trophies.

I understand that we dont score in the playoffs anymore and maybe the D give up some odd man chances, but is that a good enough reason to get blown away the way we have so many times over the last few years? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I just dont accept it anymore.

Ok guys, I'm willing to bet that we'll all agree that Luongo is twice the goaltender that say for example Dan Cloutier was, yes?

Now if we had Cloutier in our net for the last number of postseasons would we be losing games by scores of 16-1, 8-0, 14-2, 10-1, etc. etc.? If Luongo doesn't shoulder the majority of responsibility for getting lit up the way he has so many times then this Canucks team must be downright terrible, right?. Like miss the playoffs by ten miles, Columbus Bluejackets terrible. Somehow though we manage to win Presidents trophies.

I understand that we dont score in the playoffs anymore and maybe the D give up some odd man chances, but is that a good enough reason to get blown away the way we have so many times over the last few years? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I just dont accept it anymore.

How do you go from shutout to blowout to shutout to blowout. When his D is solid he looks good and its all LU and when their not its a blowout. This team relys on the defense to much under AV for scoring as soon as they have to defend more than attack the net the teams offence dissappears. The problem seems to be this team does not know how to attack without its d-men. To me that`s a coaching. A problem that hasn`t been addressed for years.

Lu has let in how many game tying goals in the last minute. Not what I call making a save when it matters.

Exactly why sports analysts haven`t picked him for the 2014 Olympic team. The defense in front of him locked down the front of the net in overtime which was a large contributing factor to the Olympic win.

This is also why teams keep coming hard when down 1 in the third. They know they have a better than average chance of tying it. Especially under AV`s dump and change defensive system.

why do so many people seem to think it's acceptable to score 8 goals in 7 games like that's a good offensive effort for a 7 game series? Exactly it was the same team playing in front of him every game, and they were terrible every game except for maybe game 3 where we scored 3 goals. Luongo was excellent for 3 out of the 7 games. The entire team including Luongo played like crap in the other 4. Yet people still try and argue Luongo was the reason we lost the series lol it's really funny at this point

How do you go from shutout to blowout to shutout to blowout. When his D is solid he looks good and its all LU and when their not its a blowout. This team relys on the defense to much under AV for scoring as soon as they have to defend more than attack the net the teams offence dissappears. The problem seems to be this team does not know how to attack without its d-men. To me that`s a coaching. A problem that hasn`t been addressed for years.

Lu has let in how many game tying goals in the last minute. Not what I call making a save when it matters.

Exactly why sports analysts haven`t picked him for the 2014 Olympic team. The defense in front of him locked down the front of the net in overtime which was a large contributing factor to the Olympic win.

This is also why teams keep coming hard when down 1 in the third. They know they have a better than average chance of tying it. Especially under AV`s dump and change defensive system.

i like how majority of the haters are saying Luongo is a fundamentally poor goalie his techniques ain't great he's always floundering around.. if that's the case shouldn't any one of you be able to play goalie and have success in the NHL? last i checked Luongo is one of the most consistent goalies in the last decade if not the most consistent.. and that's with so call poor fundamental and techniques...

Vancouver sucked against Boston. Despite being blown out, Luongo was Vancouver's best player in the series with 3 great games. He probably should've been pulled in two games, but the coach for whatever reason decided to keep him in.

The offense and defense SUCKED that series. The entire part. They were injured and terrible. Luongo had to play lights out. He was not going to get support. Controversely, Thomas got bailed out a few times against Tampa. When he got scored on a lot, Boston responded with even more goals. Same with Rinne the series before us.

Our 'playoff offense' sucks. Really bad. We make every goalie look good, even though JUST THE SERIES BEFORE, the said 'godly' goalies got lit up frequently. We were one of the lowest scoring teams going into the finals throughout the playoffs. What does that mean? Goalie. Rome was gone, Hamhuis was gone, and Edler was injured. We had no defense after the second game, which unsurprisingly was when Boston took control. Other than game 5, where Luongo stood on his head.

Right, but scoring typically goes down in the playoffs because teams tighten up their D and goalies raise their game, most of the time.

Other than Fleury in 2009 and Niemi in 2010, how many goaltenders in recent memory have won a Stanley Cup with a pedestrian GAA and Sv%? I think you'd have to go back to the mid or early 90's to find one.

i like how majority of the haters are saying Luongo is a fundamentally poor goalie his techniques ain't great he's always floundering around.. if that's the case shouldn't any one of you be able to play goalie and have success in the NHL? last i checked Luongo is one of the most consistent goalies in the last decade if not the most consistent.. and that's with so call poor fundamental and techniques...

Your right, I pulled this from another user last week and didn't double check it after checking it I can see that's its wrong. I apologize for posting something I didn't double check.

I double checked the Boston series and his save % was .832 for the last six games (even lower) then the info I pulled from the other member. I will update the compleat post with information I can verify in the morrning.

I had no intention of trying to mislead anyone and i should have double checked but I'm betting the save % I calculate will not be pretty.

Blaming any 1 thing is silly but everybody here has their bias/hate for something so they find a way to blame everything on them. Look at the Boston series. This team collapsed. There were a tonne of injuries especially to our top players. You get a team that just has the crap kicked out of them going up against a strong skilled team and eventually it's going to come out in their favor. What could AV have done to solve that problem? Call up a couple of the moose players to show the bruins who's boss? Luongo can't be the entire team. My only problem with Luongo in that series was his big stupid mouth.

Look at LA last year. Luongo lost his job because he wasn't playing great but then neither was the rest of the team. They couldn't figure out Quick who was fracking amazing. Go watch the series again and you'll start to see how desperate the team looks to score as a game goes on. D out of position trying to create scoring, guys who should be putting pucks in the net throwing garbage in Quicks direction.

There's so many reasons for these things. My biggest problem with the AV and Luongo and Schneider and Raymond whiners is that there never seems to be a turn around when they do something great to give them credit. People want to blame AV for the Boston series? Cool. What did he do to get us there then? Does he get credit for getting the team through three rounds or is it just the ol' "anyone could win with this team." Insert any players name instead of AV and the argument stays the same. The AV thing always seems more like a "I don't understand what AV did and he's not doing what I would do so he sucks" argument.

The problem is thats hes been around awhile, is an easy read, and teams know his shortcomings. Now hes playing on a two time President's cup team , not the Leafs or Blue Jackets where he would be average at best. Lou is consistant by his save percentages and other stats, but the problem is the huge fluctuations game to game....can you say...inconsistant !!

Archived