201 replies to this topic

#151 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

The third example is Lu letting in 4 goals in the first period. I would consider that as the goalie 'blowing it' for his team as well.

the 4th one was at the beginning of the 2nd, we put Schneider in after that to wake them up but it didn't matter they scored again 3 minutes later. THey were still shell shocked from game 4

Edited by Primus099, 09 February 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#152 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Guys this is really simple. I didn't say he wasn't great I said he didn't Have to be great against the canucks.

Two entirely different things.

Most saves ever in a final.

A great stat.

Vs the Canucks.

Great stat + vs the Canucks = great against the Canucks.

Pretty simple.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#153 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,927 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

He should be able to get us into the playoffs especially when Kesler/Booth get back in the lineup.

"Should". "When".

A couple of things - and don't get me wrong, I'm ok with however this turns out and feel we're lucky to have this "problem".

Just because a goaltender has struggled in the playoffs doesn't mean he always will. There have been some great goaltenders who have had less than great performances, but we demand perfection?

And you've allowed Schneids the luxury of counting on key players to be back in the line up to contribute, but what about Lu? You are aware that some of our past struggles can be attributed to missing or having injured players out there? And those out there also were struggling (meaning Lu couldn't rely on them to do their jobs....it's the I in team thing for me).

Injury. Bad officiating. These things aren't permanent , but Lu's had to battle through them...what if, in putting this stuff behind him, he's slated for his best playoffs ever? He certainly has the capacity to be great...we've seen it.

Did you consider that we may not have been IN the playoffs if it wasn't for Lu (which, I understand, this thread considers)? So how about the other guys on the ice?....why does Lu wear the playoff wins/losses alone yet we disregard what led up to them?

If Lu is the playoff goat then, at the very least, you have to remember that he was the regular season hero and, without that, there are no playoffs?

Goaltenders can't be "on" all the time and it's all about timing in the playoffs. I'd hate to imagine Lu's playoff redemption coming while playing on a different team.

I also factor experience into overcoming obstacles. Learning from our mistakes. Familiarity that allows for more confidence and stability.

Again, I'm ok either way but don't like the comparisons. We have two great goaltenders at the moment and until we get a good return for one, bummer.

Posted Image

#154 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Most saves ever in a final.

A great stat.

Vs the Canucks.

Great stat + vs the Canucks = great against the Canucks.

Pretty simple.

Holy frack are you being serious because I've read plenty of your stuff and you aren't this obtuse?

My comment has less to do with Thomas and more to do with the Canucks. I didn't say he wasn't great I said he didn't really have to be. There is a world of difference between those two statement. I cannot speak enough about how well Thomas played in the finals but if anyone here thinks the Canucks were playing up to what they had established as their standard during the season I'd love to hear that argument. Let me get high first though and put on some Dark Side of the Moon because it's going to be a trip.

Can you honestly say that you're happy with the way the Canucks played in the finals? Absolutely he was great against the Canucks...given how they played did he really need to be? (Helpful Hint: That statement does not mean he wasn't great)

Pretty simple...extremely simple...shouldn't have needed an explanation it is so simple...

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 09 February 2013 - 08:52 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#155 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

errr, dude, after losing 8-1, 4-0, 5-2 and 4-0 in the final, and the team still managed to get to game 7??

and there, you are questioning the goalie's ability to perform in playoff, and those scores has nothing to do with how fack up our injuries were or how bad the reffing was?

have you ever wonder how the hell could the team get to game 7 with those kind of score? And somehow, somewhere on earth, there is a person, or multiple guy, think getting to game 7 with this kind of score has nothing to do with the ability of our goalie keeping the team in game for the last minute with his last breath.

Getting to game 7 is not winning the cup sir !

#156 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Getting to game 7 is not winning the cup sir !

You won't even get to game 7 with this kind of scoring without our goalie stole 3 games for us.

And here you are making it sound like its the goalie that costed us the cup.

Ya sure, firing the goalie who was the main reason why we had a game 7 will sure bring us a cup home.

#157 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

the 4th one was at the beginning of the 2nd, we put Schneider in after that to wake them up but it didn't matter they scored again 3 minutes later. THey were still shell shocked from game 4

Lol, okay excuse me, Lu let in 4 goals in the first 23 minutes of the game. Corey came in and let in 1goal in the remaining 37.

#158 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

POPULAR

how many times are you Luongo trolls going to use this small cross section of stats as your only argument lol

Schneider had a GAA of 3.13 and a save % of .897 after 4 games this year, that small an amount of games is pretty meaningless. Just like Lu with his current GAA of 1.53 and save % of .940, I doubt they would stay that good over the course of a full season

4 bad games at the beginning of a season are pretty meaningless. 4 bad games at the end of a season are a different thing entirely.

It hasn't just been once, or twice, or three times - Luongo has had a meltdown every year since 2006-07. It's been a consistent pattern. Denying it is plain ignorance.
Posted Image

#159 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

4 bad games at the beginning of a season are pretty meaningless. 4 bad games at the end of a season are a different thing entirely.

It hasn't just been once, or twice, or three times - Luongo has had a meltdown every year since 2006-07. It's been a consistent pattern. Denying it is plain ignorance.

Err where is your source of luongo's meltdown every year since 06?

No, not the fake data you posted earlier. I mean real data and source.....

#160 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

You won't even get to game 7 with this kind of scoring without our goalie stole 3 games for us.

And here you are making it sound like its the goalie that costed us the cup.

Ya sure, firing the goalie who was the main reason why we had a game 7 will sure bring us a cup home.

and maybe had he been more consistant, it never would have got to a 7th game...we were up 2-0 and lost 4 of next 5...

#161 Saskatchewan Canucks Fan

Saskatchewan Canucks Fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Long hair, Dont care

Posted Image

anfqiq.jpg
                                By -Vintage Canuck-

#162 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,906 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

If the Canucks organization was completely comfortable with Luongo's playoff performances, Schneider wouldn't still be here.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#163 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

You guys can't have it both ways. If Lu owns all the wins, he owns all the losses and if he owns all the losses he owns all the wins.

Reality is he was great in three games and terrible in four. Other players were also great and terrible in assorted games but talking about only LU? Great 3 and bad 4

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#164 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

You guys can't have it both ways. If Lu owns all the wins, he owns all the losses and if he owns all the losses he owns all the wins.

Reality is he was great in three games and terrible in four. Other players were also great and terrible in assorted games but talking about only LU? Great 3 and bad 4

How many "great" game our forwards were with a grand total of 8 goals in 7 games?

I don't blame them since injury was a serious issue at the time, but there would be no game 7 with 8 goals if our goalie didn't perform.

#165 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

How many "great" game our forwards were with a grand total of 8 goals in 7 games?

I don't blame them since injury was a serious issue at the time, but there would be no game 7 with 8 goals if our goalie didn't perform.

Go back to your sty Piggy,

#166 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Go back to your sty Piggy,

Ya, how dare our 5.3 million cap hit goalie didn't score for us when we need it the most?

Totally unacceptable!

#167 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

How would it have been over the leg and under the blocker? It hit his blocker when he was standing.

And to be honest... I don't like his goaltending style ever since '08. If you watch Luongo play in 06-07, he was an extremely aggressive and, well, flamboyant goaltender. He'd be three feet out of his crease to face shots, and he'd be scrambling around everywhere making stops. IMO he plays best with a sense of urgency, and playing aggressive definitely gives that feel.

I don't think he is "too old" to go back to that style. Look at Hasek. It's not like Luongo needs to run a mile every time he makes a save or something.

I also think playing aggressively will play to his advantage, as cutting away shooting angles will work well for him. He does not have great reflexes, and he never did. He sees the puck well and is a smart goaltender, but his reflexes aren't all too great (except for his glove hand).

How backwards can you get it...Glove hand is about reflex....Lou is pretty darn good with his glove, and better now as he holds it higher...Lous difficulty is lateral movement and sealing off the low half of the net. Big feet and bowed legs contribute to the problem. Lou IS a reflex, reactive goalie.

#168 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Holy frack are you being serious because I've read plenty of your stuff and you aren't this obtuse?

My comment has less to do with Thomas and more to do with the Canucks. I didn't say he wasn't great I said he didn't really have to be. There is a world of difference between those two statement. I cannot speak enough about how well Thomas played in the finals but if anyone here thinks the Canucks were playing up to what they had established as their standard during the season I'd love to hear that argument. Let me get high first though and put on some Dark Side of the Moon because it's going to be a trip.

Can you honestly say that you're happy with the way the Canucks played in the finals? Absolutely he was great against the Canucks...given how they played did he really need to be? (Helpful Hint: That statement does not mean he wasn't great)

Pretty simple...extremely simple...shouldn't have needed an explanation it is so simple...

"Which ones pink?" ;)
Posted Image

When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#169 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

"Which ones pink?" ;)

"Any Color you want" :shock: ::D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#170 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

For those in the "Luongo chokes in the big game" camp, I dug up an interesting stat. I think performance in Game 7's is generally a good measure of how well a goalie plays when it's all on the line.

Luongo has played 3. Dallas ('07), Chicago ('11) and Boston ('11).

His stats in those 3 games?

2-1, 1.62 GAA, .931 SV%

Small sample size, but not too shabby.

Of course if you also include game 6's things change dramatically. Remind me again what Lou's record is in elimination games.

#171 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Everyone saying its not Luongos fault the team can't score in the playoffs is because it is tight checking defensive hockey . Its up to the goalie to keep the score 2-1 or 1-0 and not get lit up . Yes he is human and so is the other goalie but he cant let that other goalie outperform him when under pressure. He has been unable to provide the critical saves in critical games and has had more than enough chances to do so. Goals like Marchands coming down the wing are unacceptable in the finals.

#172 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Err where is your source of luongo's meltdown every year since 06?

No, not the fake data you posted earlier. I mean real data and source.....

Those are his real stats from his last 6 games, for 4 years in a row.

Look it up... ...or just continue to do this:

Posted Image

Makes no difference to me.

Edited by D-Money, 09 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

Posted Image

#173 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

"Any Color you want" :shock: ::D

I tried my quickest "obtuse" pink Floyd connection to your post.

Helpful hint: lyric from " have a cigar" wish you were here album.

Edited by riffraff, 09 February 2013 - 06:48 PM.

Posted Image

#174 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

and maybe had he been more consistant, it never would have got to a 7th game...we were up 2-0 and lost 4 of next 5...

maybe if we averaged more than 1 goal a game that would have helped too just a bit??

#175 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

pretty much this, no one player owns a win or a loss they're a result of the team effort. Luongo was a monster in those shutout wins but the team still needed to score a goal to get him that. EVERYONE including Luongo played like crap in the losses, yet people like to only pin the losses on him

and great in 3 terrible in 4 you can pretty much say that for the entire team

#176 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,150 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just enjoy every game Luo starts as it could be his last in this city.

Canucks have one big problem scoring goals in the playoffs lately and as they are now losing a pretty good keeper they better employ a Plan B pretty quick.

#177 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Just enjoy every game Luo starts as it could be his last in this city.

Canucks have one big problem scoring goals in the playoffs lately and as they are now losing a pretty good keeper they better employ a Plan B pretty quick.

well hopefully when we make the trade we get back someone that helps us with that

Edited by Primus099, 09 February 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#178 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

5-1!! Schroder..when I said first of many a while ago, I didn't think the "many" would happen this fast

Edit: oops, thought I was in the GDT when I posted...sorry

Edited by nucklehead53, 09 February 2013 - 10:31 PM.

It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#179 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I tried my quickest "obtuse" pink Floyd connection to your post.

Helpful hint: lyric from " have a cigar" wish you were here album.

"Any color you like" is a song from the album. I got where you were going; I was just playing off of it. B)

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 09 February 2013 - 11:52 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#180 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

We need to stop talking about 2011 SCF. It was incredibly hard for our city and our team but thats how things played out and we need to learn to live with and stop rehashing old things.

Fact: We lost those big games in Chicago and Boston because the team has a huge inferiority complex.
Fact: This inferiority complex called the team to over extend itself. They were squeezing their sticks too hard and analyzing the moment rather than living in it.
Fact: Its not as if the goals given up were 50-footers or goals where Lu had his eyes completely on the puck
Fact: Some of those goals were just a matter of bad bounces and bad calls(the third goal in Game 7)

I went to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with my dad we were driving home and we heard on the radio that people were rioting in the city. I'll probably remember that day for the rest of my life. But right now, Roberto Luongo is probably the best goaltender in the entire world. I've been saying this since the summer, but he's the guy we want to win the cup with. Not Cory.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.