The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With Luongo, i thought it was not about the regular season

Ashmon

You guys can't have it both ways. If Lu owns all the wins, he owns all the losses and if he owns all the losses he owns all the wins.

Reality is he was great in three games and terrible in four. Other players were also great and terrible in assorted games but talking about only LU? Great 3 and bad 4

You guys can't have it both ways. If Lu owns all the wins, he owns all the losses and if he owns all the losses he owns all the wins.

Reality is he was great in three games and terrible in four. Other players were also great and terrible in assorted games but talking about only LU? Great 3 and bad 4

How would it have been over the leg and under the blocker? It hit his blocker when he was standing.

And to be honest... I don't like his goaltending style ever since '08. If you watch Luongo play in 06-07, he was an extremely aggressive and, well, flamboyant goaltender. He'd be three feet out of his crease to face shots, and he'd be scrambling around everywhere making stops. IMO he plays best with a sense of urgency, and playing aggressive definitely gives that feel.

I don't think he is "too old" to go back to that style. Look at Hasek. It's not like Luongo needs to run a mile every time he makes a save or something.

I also think playing aggressively will play to his advantage, as cutting away shooting angles will work well for him. He does not have great reflexes, and he never did. He sees the puck well and is a smart goaltender, but his reflexes aren't all too great (except for his glove hand).

Holy frack are you being serious because I've read plenty of your stuff and you aren't this obtuse?

My comment has less to do with Thomas and more to do with the Canucks. I didn't say he wasn't great I said he didn't really have to be. There is a world of difference between those two statement. I cannot speak enough about how well Thomas played in the finals but if anyone here thinks the Canucks were playing up to what they had established as their standard during the season I'd love to hear that argument. Let me get high first though and put on some Dark Side of the Moon because it's going to be a trip.

Can you honestly say that you're happy with the way the Canucks played in the finals? Absolutely he was great against the Canucks...given how they played did he really need to be? (Helpful Hint: That statement does not mean he wasn't great)

Pretty simple...extremely simple...shouldn't have needed an explanation it is so simple...

For those in the "Luongo chokes in the big game" camp, I dug up an interesting stat. I think performance in Game 7's is generally a good measure of how well a goalie plays when it's all on the line.

Luongo has played 3. Dallas ('07), Chicago ('11) and Boston ('11).

His stats in those 3 games?

2-1, 1.62 GAA, .931 SV%

Small sample size, but not too shabby.

Everyone saying its not Luongos fault the team can't score in the playoffs is because it is tight checking defensive hockey . Its up to the goalie to keep the score 2-1 or 1-0 and not get lit up . Yes he is human and so is the other goalie but he cant let that other goalie outperform him when under pressure. He has been unable to provide the critical saves in critical games and has had more than enough chances to do so. Goals like Marchands coming down the wing are unacceptable in the finals.

We need to stop talking about 2011 SCF. It was incredibly hard for our city and our team but thats how things played out and we need to learn to live with and stop rehashing old things.

Fact: We lost those big games in Chicago and Boston because the team has a huge inferiority complex.

Fact: This inferiority complex called the team to over extend itself. They were squeezing their sticks too hard and analyzing the moment rather than living in it.

Fact: Its not as if the goals given up were 50-footers or goals where Lu had his eyes completely on the puck

Fact: Some of those goals were just a matter of bad bounces and bad calls(the third goal in Game 7)

I went to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with my dad we were driving home and we heard on the radio that people were rioting in the city. I'll probably remember that day for the rest of my life. But right now, Roberto Luongo is probably the best goaltender in the entire world. I've been saying this since the summer, but he's the guy we want to win the cup with. Not Cory.

Archived