The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A reason it sucks to be a man in Canada

smokes

Some of you do realize that children are human beings, right? I am totally floored to see the lack of compassion and empathy here and how the only thing that matters is DNA to some. . Remember, the woman cheated on the guy, the kids didn't. If your dog that you got as a puppy didn't turn out to be the pedigree purebred as sold to you you likely wouldn't just stop feeding it. Throw it out on the sidewalk and say "seeya, you're not what I thought you were". So why, on Earth, would you think it's ok to do this to kids?

Some of you do realize that children are human beings, right? I am totally floored to see the lack of compassion and empathy here and how the only thing that matters is DNA to some. . Remember, the woman cheated on the guy, the kids didn't. If your dog that you got as a puppy didn't turn out to be the pedigree purebred as sold to you you likely wouldn't just stop feeding it. Throw it out on the sidewalk and say "seeya, you're not what I thought you were". So why, on Earth, would you think it's ok to do this to kids?

You make it sound as if he adopted them, a vastly different scenario to believing children are your own and, through being lied to and cheated on, finding out they aren't yours. Not the guy's fault the mother pulled those stunts, why must he have your moral obligation to financially support children that aren't his? I doubt he agreed to an adoption.

This is a forced adoption, in the sense of financial responsibility/liability, on the party who did nothing wrong. Yep, let's make the douchebag pay. That'll teach him to be responsible for children he thought were his. :sadno:

No fault divorce.

The 1985 Divorce Act removed fault from divorce. As Mr. Justice Binnie wrote in a 2006 decision when the SCOC revisited the issue of moral blameworthiness said it is clear under the law "that misconduct should not creep back into the court's deliberation" when setting the amount of spousal support.

"Misconduct, as such, is off the table as a relevant consideration,"

Seems pretty clear that neither spousal support nor child support are calculated based on the moral character of one or both spouses.

I understand that and I'm not disputing it, you have said the same thing over and over again.

Ill I am saying is that it sucks for the guy in the rare instance of his wife having screwing him over.

So settle down there, Johnnie Cochran not everyone agrees with and worships all laws in Canada

Here's what you're missing: the man is not (solely) responsible....if you think child support covers everything, it does not. It is generally supplemental and the woman doesn't sit back and live off the proceeds....it simply means that the kids won't change their standard of living (much) if both parents continue to chip in.

My ex paid child support and it barely covered the grocery bill each month (actually, it didn't). Let alone put a roof over the kids' heads or pay for any extras for them - I did that (working 3 jobs at one point to make ends meet). So child support is just that - a means to continue to HELP support the children. It isn't a windfall by any means but the talk of "taking to the cleaners" etc. makes it sound as such. If the guy wants nothing further to do with the kids based on paternity, then he should not have been involved in their lives in the first place. It takes a level of maturity and selflessness and that decision indicates neither.

You mean the strangers who donated sperm? We've already discussed the fact that "Father" means more than that...the man who has been there for feedings, first steps and words, homework, watching, nurturing and directing the children as they grow, etc. Whether under false pretenses or not, this man has assumed that role and it doesn't come with a "money back guarantee and refund".

Because the products of your spouse cheating on you would be more an object of contempt. I'm not saying to kill them, but you may understandably want to free your hands of them completely and not continue to be burdened with the costs of their further existence.

Archived