The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN - CBJ

Columbus is clearly on the rebuild now, they're got a new GM and are looking for younger players. These guys are STACKED down the middle with Brassard, Anisimov, Johansen, Jenner Boone and J.A.M at center. There are about 3 #1 future centermen and a couple of #2 line centermen in that list, then throw in Cody Bass and Mark Letestu and there's way too many guys there.

Meanwhile the Canucks just lost their best faceoff man in Malhotra for the season and possibly his career. A big blow to our depth at center as we now only have 3 legitimate NHL centermen. Schroeder doesn't count because he hasn't played a full NHL season yet.

You win Cups with depth at center. Boston won a Cup with 7 NHL centermen in their lineup, L.A won it with 6 and Chicago had quite a few as well. 3 is simply nowhere near good enough, heck even counting Schroeder we're just sitting at 4.

Vancouver 3rd round pick for Mark Letestu.

Letestu was acquired from Pittsburgh for a measley 4th round pick so there's no way Columbus says no to this, essentially trading up the draft. They have centers who will steal his spot next season anyway.

This guy has been scoring at a 40-point pace his entire career and is a surprisingly good PKer. Plus he's averaged around a hit per game his entire career and is a solid bottom-6 centerman who can play the wing as well.

For the playoffs:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Letestu - Lapierre

It's good to keep a versatile center like Letestu in your lineup, because if Henrik or Kesler sustain an injury this guy can jump right up into a top-6 role as well. Sure he lacks size, but getting him for practically nothing would be exactly what this team needs post-Malhotra.

Schroeder counts. But we could still use another centre, I agree. You forgot to mention Dubinsky, who may be the most desirable for our needs.

Also, just because CBJ acquired Letestu for only a 4th round pick, it does not follow that they would definitely trade him for a 3rd round pick.

EDIT: Dubinsky has a 4.2M cap hit for 2 more years. He'd be too expensive for us.

Letestu is on their 2nd line. He is a better playerthan he was. I doubt they would accept, and if they did (And he isn't as good as I think he is) then I think we would be overpaying.

He isn't the 4th line center we need anyways, we need a defensive/grit guy that is LH. I would rather target Jim Slater, he would be perfect.

Also kind of curious, who are the "3 #1 future centermen"?

Letestu is on their 2nd line. He is a better playerthan he was. I doubt they would accept, and if they did (And he isn't as good as I think he is) then I think we would be overpaying.

He isn't the 4th line center we need anyways, we need a defensive/grit guy that is LH. I would rather target Jim Slater, he would be perfect.

Also kind of curious, who are the "3 #1 future centermen"?

Archived