The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

L'Orange

You have failed because Edler actually does have a NTC on his new contract, which kicks in at the end of the season.

Also, yes Edler has not been as good defensively but I would say there are many reasons for that.

1. They are/were trying to play him on the right side, which he is just not capable of doing.

2. The Sami Salo effect. The departure of Sami Salo has affected Edler big time, but may also have messed with all of our defence men.

3. No stable partner. It seems that Edler has always had someone with him who provided support for the way he plays. Examples are Salo, Ehrhoff, and Ohlund.

4. More offense. The coaching staff may be wanting more offense from Alex which in turn could have messed with the defensive side of his game. For all we know he could be turning into a Offensive Defenceman, instead of being a Two-Way Defenceman.

I believe that some of these may be the reasons why Edler has not been performing that well. Offensively he has been good, but the defensive part of his game may be taking a hit. He may need a more stay at home type partner or they need to tell Edler to tone down his offensive play and to go back to focusing more on defence.

Alot of the Canucks have been playing sub par lately, not just Edler. Since I love stats so much I decided to throw out somestats while you throw him under a bus:

Edler is tied for 6th place in goals scored.

Edler is 3rd on our team for points.

Edler is the same size as Kassian.

Edler is one of only 4 Europeans on the Canucks.

Edler has the 2nd best Cost per Point on the defense.

Edler is the 8th best Cost per Point on the ENTIRE roster.

Ballard is near the absolute bottom in all of these categories.

That is truly bad news that he has a NTC.

Edler is a grown man who is being paid $5,000,000 a season. Rolling out this laundry list of excuses as to why he watches opposing forwards take shots on net is nothing new and indicates to me that you are a homer.

Guest Gumballthechewy

So could have 14 other teams.

Another fun fact, 29 other teams could have drafted Edler before us as well.

Isn't trivia (and hindsight) wonderful?

All I can say is Edler looks incredibly week without Salo.

He's beginning to look like one of those defensemen that only look good playing with one partner.

Although they should of already know this as previous defense partners experiments never worked.

Really?

This just pretty much shows that you have hate towards Edler and don't really care about what may be causing his defensive issues. Being paid $5,000,000 a season doesn't mean he can't have problems, also he is only making a little more than $3,000,000 this season. To me it does not seem as if you are a true fan. Instead it seems as if you just like to pick on players who are under performing at the moment and when they start playing well you have nothing to say.

Archived