The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sick and tired of all that "bad/biased officiating" excuses

Guest Gorby

What's worse then people whining about officiating? People calling others whiners for questioning bad calls/non calls, the NFL questions its officials and holds them accountable and guess what more often than not officiating is solid.

Gee who would have thought that questioning and discussing something would improve it?

But you're right we should just turn a blind eye and not be "whiners" and not improve because clearly standing pat is the way to improve the game... :rolleyes:

You've confused whining with wanting improvement.

Every single time Canucks lose a game, the most common "explanation" one can read on CDC is whining about how wrong (or biased) the officiating was or how bad calls occurred. Crap. We don't lose because of referees. If we lost, it was because the opponents outplayed us and scored more goals than we did. Referees are people, they do make mistakes. Bad calls are part of the game and they need to be handled and overcomed in the same way as opponent's forwards, defensemen and goalies. The players know it, the coaching staff knows it...only, who apparently doesn't, are crybabies from CDC.

Please, stop with that BS and act like men. No one likes a whiner.

Greetings from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe.

I refuse to believe that AV received a penalty for that call. So I decided to provide some reasoning why a minor was called. As I said, reffing is hard, the miss calls, so they have to make up for them. Consistency is hard to achieve.

Stephane Auger and Denis Morel, to name just two off the top of my head, say hi. Both were let go for inconsistent work at the peak of their careers.

I'm 100% with Gorby on this one. The problem with the Canucks management constantly complaining about the refs is that it casts aspersions on the inner workings of the league.

The Canucks management didn't cast anything - the inner workings were exposed. Called to task. And that's their problem to fix - has nothing to do with any fault of the Canucks organization. Tell me this, if you're being treated unfairly at work, do you just suck it up? Or do you stand up for yourself? And you're whining on behalf of the poor NHL, aren't you?

When the team's fanbase gets on board and fired up by the team's management's accusations you end up with events like the Stanley Cup riot.

This is trolling and it needs to stop. The riot had nothing to do with the team, the game, the fans or the management. It was idiots who set out to cause problems and used a large gathering as their platform. Don't justify their actions or you're part of the problem.

You do this alot - deflect from the real issue by throwing out nonsense. It reduces your credibility and is a desperation tactic.

The constant inferrence that the NHL is screwing the Canucks for whatever ridiculous or paranoid reason calls the integrity of the league into question and the fact that there has never been any proof that the league favours one team over another reduces such charges to baseless whining which makes the whole team, fanbase and even city look bad.

So, again, a couple of refs have already been let go - you've used it in your argument, but we're the problem? Which one is it - both sides of your mouth are talking now and you're totally contradicting yourself as a result.

After awhile other teams start to follow suit and you end up with a situation where there are literally hundreds, even thousands of voices saying that the NHL is "fixed" which causes no end of problems in so many different facets of the game, from disciplinary decisions to things like lotto and gambling. The league simply cannot tolerate such nonsense or it becomes a business that cannot function the way it should.

This is ridiculous. The NHL is not a victim and therefore reacting to that. This is really grasping...what the hell are you on about here? The NHL CAN fuction as it should, it's just not at the moment. If it is such a poorly run organization and unstructurally sound that "whiney" fans on a forum have an impact that negatively impacts how things are run, that's a business problem, not a whiney fan problem.

Erecting a statue commemorating a coach who was a master at whining about the refs and cheating at so many rules that the league had to change a whole bunch of them to negate the advantage that the cheating created doesn't help. It makes every Canucks fan look like a little kid crying to mommy, something that I for one as a Canuck fan resent deeply. Refs are human and make bad calls, teams try their damndest to take advantage of the imperfections of the refs to get an edge in calls and when it doesn't succeed they cry foul. Participants in the league who try to suggest that it is crooked without unassailable proof should be penalized, fined and even kicked out in extreme cases. FWIW I have been floating around on a lot of other team's boards and it is clear that the Canucks are not alone in this problem but they sure do whine a lot more than most teams managements and/or fanbases. Time to grow up people or else just give up on hockey and follow some sport or another that has zero reliance on the interpretation of rules. To constantly complain about the league's inner workings is to be disapointed in the sport 100% of the time which makes following it a waste of time if you ask me. I love the game so I put up with it because I know in my heart there is no conspiracy, just a league run by fallible humans.

I stopped reading this drivel. Quit trolling.

With your first line you've just proven why people being outspoken is imporant.

Canucks have been flopping all over the ice shamefully for years and making refs (NHL) look bad. I think the refs.(NHL) have this figured out, and we are being targeted as a diving team. I haven't seen a diving call since I cant remember when and we have two this year already. Whether I like it or not is ir-relevent. We have in the AV era......... asked for this and it is coming to bite us......some more.

yep, you refuse to believe in that penalty much like how most of us refuse to believe it actually happened.

and you know what is funny? it did happen. AV talked about it after the game, tsn talked about it, a senior ref wrote an essay about this is normal in NHL and sometiems it depends on the ref's personality and the relationship with the coach to make a call like this.

most of us see how ???? ridiculous it is, you on the other hand is covering your ears with your fingers and scream," lalalal i can't hear you."

Whining? Go to many other teams message boards and you'll find the same complaints? Why? Because the officiating is terrible and ruining the game. Many refs seem to favor certain teams and players while giving the middle finger to other teams. The Red Wings fans are just as irate as we are. Fans of a team like Chicago see people complaining as whiners because their team gets the benefit of bad calls more often than not, but other teams fans are in the same boat. Remember when Torts got that fine for complaining about the officials? This is a league wide problem. As Canucks fans we only see our games and a few others, so what we see is terrible officiating with often obvious biases, so that's all we can comment on.

The reffing is awful and to justify it is moronic. We complain everytime a player, coach or GM makes a mistake, but when the refs do that's okay because they are human? I get that hockeys a difficult game to officiate, but wouldn't you think it a good idea to find a way to improve that instead of just saying "hockeys better than ever" and not doing anything to hold terrible officials accountable?!

Stop whining yourself.

you actually think that giving out a minor to a coach which is base on the personality of the ref and the relationship between him and the coach is justified?

Even you said you refused to believe that a ref would hand out a minor like that, and now it's justify because a senior ref came up and said," well, refs would usually give you a penalty because he's not in a good mood today and he hates your face."

Every single time Canucks lose a game, the most common "explanation" one can read on CDC is whining about how wrong (or biased) the officiating was or how bad calls occurred. Crap. We don't lose because of referees. If we lost, it was because the opponents outplayed us and scored more goals than we did. Referees are people, they do make mistakes. Bad calls are part of the game and they need to be handled and overcomed in the same way as opponent's forwards, defensemen and goalies. The players know it, the coaching staff knows it...only, who apparently doesn't, are crybabies from CDC.

Please, stop with that BS and act like men. No one likes a whiner.

Greetings from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe.

OK, let me ask you this way: How many of you do some sort of a (team)sport where there are refs in place? And if you do - when was the last time coach came into the locker room after you lost a game and said "Hey, we've lost 'cause of refs. If there were no bad calls, we would win."

Again. Players should be (and they actually are) able to move over errors in calls. You should be too.

How do you think this type of obvious game management effects the players? Have you ever considered that the possible reason for the lackluster play by the Canucks has nothing to do with AV calling out the Refs (Finally) and everything to do with the fact that they probably are sick of it. What is the point of going out there and giving it your all if some stuck up official is going to target you for the Crest on your jersey instead of the way you are playing. Lets examine the last Detroit game the Canucks got blown out, but until Kassian got called (trying to score a goal :picard:) Goal interference Vancouver was actually in that game. It was after Detroit scored on that power play that the Canucks stopped playing the way we know they can play. Do you see the correlation? The Refs make up some stupid phantom call against Vancouver, the other team score on the resulting PP and then the boys just stop playing.

Yes there is a problem with our Penalty kill and yes there is a problem with the fact that they are just giving up and I suspect there is some coaching issues, so no its not JUST because of the bad officials but you can not deny that the officiating is responsible for us losing some games.

Kinda funny how you say the only people who always complain about bad officiating is CDC, then go on to say you started the topic after the loss in Calgary where it was actually the coach who was flipping out about bad reffing in that game.

We all know that mediocre reffing is part of the game, I accept that...but sometimes less than average officiating is a big reason why a lot of teams lose. It's blatantly obvious, and the officials need to be held more accountable sometimes.

Archived