The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kerry Fraser @AV's bench minor

agm89

I have always taken issue with officiating in the NHL - its something I like much more about the NFL and I am not a huge football fan. In the NFL a penalty is a penalty - theres none of this let them play crap. Yes I know if officials called every penalty infraction there'd be 30 powerplays a night but guess what. It wouldnt take too long for the players to realize a hook will be called very time , same as a slash etc. I also think the fact calls can be reviewed in the NFL with a challenge by either team has merit in the NHL. I am sick and tired of hearing and reading about officials not calling penalties cause this player showed them up once by diving etc. The fact that referees in the NHL admit they might call or not call penalties based on the relationship or reputation of a player or coach or team is frightening. They are supposed to be professionals and their job is to ensure the game is played within the rules they are supposed to enforce. Personal biases need to be left at the door.

Its one of the most frustrating aspects of watching the game of hockey - the inconsistancy of the officials I agree has been a joke this year but it always has been. The fact that certain infractions are penalties in the regular season but allowed in the playoffs is why this league will always be on the bottom of professional sports in North America.

I didn't like the non call when Burrows got punched in the face 2 games ago. They really showed their bias in that game. Burrows has definetly been singled out.

AV and the players are going to have to have a bench clearing brawl and totally make the ref lose control of the game....then the league will question whether the ref is really doing his job well.

Tortorelli and numerous other coaches do 10 times the yapping at the ref than AV and they rarely get called.

It's time for a little frontier justice....

All the conspiracy talk is nauseating. You lose when the other team outplays you. End of story. The Canucks aren't the same team they were 2 years ago, 2011 was their championship window and in this era of the NHL team's usually only get one of those. The Sedins are aging, Kesler's health continues to deteriorate and the team will slow down because of this. Yes sometimes there are bad calls, but this was not one of them and none of you would care if the Flames hadn't won the game. The Canucks lost. Get over it.

The reffing this year is an absolute joke. In the NFL when they had this type of BS hurting their game they did something about it. The NHL doesn't do anything and the refs in the NHL are a complete joke. I'm not taking about Canuck games im talking about all over the leauge. There's no such thing as consistent reffing in the NHL if what AV did last night was a penalty Tortorella would be behind the bench for 48 games every year not just a lockout season.

I didn't like the non call when Burrows got punched in the face 2 games ago. They really showed their bias in that game. Burrows has definetly been singled out.

AV and the players are going to have to have a bench clearing brawl and totally make the ref lose control of the game....then the league will question whether the ref is really doing his job well.

Tortorelli and numerous other coaches do 10 times the yapping at the ref than AV and they rarely get called.

It's time for a little frontier justice....

After reading Kerry Frasers article ,it still isn't any clearer why AV was given a penalty at that critical juncture of the game?...For being "theatrical" or "standing on the bench" and letting his emotions get the better of him...So the parameters of the bench minor are all dependent on how sensitive the referee is feeling on that particular day?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26327

Rule 39 - Abuse of Officials

39.1 General Description –A player, goalkeeper, Coach or non-playing person shall not challenge or dispute the rulings of an official before, during or after a game. A player, goalkeeper, Coach or non-playing person shall not display unsportsmanlike conduct including, but not limited to, obscene, profane or abusive language or gestures, comments of a personal nature intended to degrade an official, or persist in disputing a ruling after being told to stop or after being penalized for such behavior.

NOTE: When such conduct is directed at anyone other than an official, Rule 75 – Unsportsmanlike Conduct shall be applied.

39.2 Minor Penalty – A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(i) Any player who challenges or disputes the ruling of an official.

(ii) Any identifiable player who uses obscene, profane or abusive language or gestures directed at any on or off-ice official.

(iii) Any player or players who bang the boards with their sticks or other objects at any time, or who, in any manner show disrespect for an official’s decision. If this is done in order to get the attention of the on-ice officials for a legitimate reason (i.e. serious injury, illness, etc.), then discretion must be exercised by the Referees.

(iv) When a Captain, Alternate Captain or any other player comes off the players’ bench to question or protest a ruling by an official on the ice.

(v) If a player bangs the glass in protest of the Goal Judge’s ruling. If he persists, a misconduct penalty would then be assessed.

39.3 Bench Minor Penalty - A bench minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed under this rule for the following infractions:

(i) Any Coach or non-playing personwho bangs the boards with a stick or other object at any time, showing disrespect for an official’s decision. If this is done in order to get the attention of the on-ice officials for a legitimate reason (i.e. serious injury, illness, etc.), then discretion must be exercised by the Referees.

(ii) Any unidentifiable player or goalkeeper, or any Coach or non-playing person whouses obscene, profane or abusive language or gesture directed at an on or off-ice official or uses the name of any official coupled with any vociferous remarks. (see also 39.5 (ii))

(i) Any player, Coach, or non-playing personinterferes in any manner with any game official including the Referees, Linesmen, Game or Penalty Timekeepers or Goal Judges in the performance of their duties.

I've read the rules a few times and have yet to spot any justification for last night's penalty to AV...

Archived