The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chilliwack Indian restaurants targeted with hateful emails

key2thecup

There are definitely some parts of Chilliwack that are just... weird. I have spent all my life in the lower mainland, and some pockets of Chilliwack have been my biggest exposure to extremely small, close-knit, extremely cultural, closed-minded communities.

I don't know how extreme they are compared to elsewhere, as I haven't traveled much in my life and I have only moved once (within the lower mainland).

I think that when people cling hard enough to their culture, they can (sometimes) end up causing big conflicts. Perhaps what is happening with these Indian Restaurants could be an example of this (as of yet we don't know who it is or why definitively), a group of people so devoted to their own culture, they actively try to keep other's cultures at arm's length, which can degenerate into conflict very quickly. I can't say if that is the case with this story, but it is certainly a possibility.

I can say that I have felt extremely uncomfortable in certain parts of Chilliwack. What I experienced was a "people who aren't like us aren't welcome" mentality, rather than direct or aggressive conflict. It is conceivable that if someone just moved in and was openly very cultural that they would ruffle a lot of feathers. I have never experienced this closed-minded mentality anywhere but Chilliwack, not sure if that means anything but that has been my experience.

He's a bit emotional over a restaurant, but if you've ever lived in towns like Markham or Brampton, I can see why the letter writer has the attitude he has.

Maybe he's making it too much an issue of trying to escape a race instead of a culture.

Firstly, I don't know the entirety of what this guy said, so I won't come to a a conclusion about who this guy is like you rabidly do. Secondly, of what was cited, physical characteristics are not something a person can help so it makes little sense to take issues with that. It doesn't make sense to me to get angry over the colour of a person's skin. Thirdly, there certainly is justification for culture disagreements. They are a major root cause of culture based conflicts. If you supposedly lived in Markham and Brampton, and I'm sure everywhere else in the world as you supposedly say you do, you should know this.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why this has become such a big deal.

Obviously the letters are hateful and people like the person who wrote them need a little bit of fixing, but I don't see why some anonymous persons letters to two individuals is worthy of this kind of press. There are much more pressing issues out there.

Obviously the letters are hateful and people like the person who wrote them need a little bit of fixing, but I don't see why some anonymous persons letters to two individuals is worthy of this kind of press. There are much more pressing issues out there.

What, people from Surrey are not welcome in Chilliwack? You know, as a white guy from Surrey, I'm pretty miffed that I'm apparently not welcome in their little redneck town, especially considering that I've got family living there. ::D

As disgusting as is, this racist attitude is not totally unexpected though, as most of Chilliwack's population growth in recent years has been from old people moving there to retire. And not just from BC, quite a few rich Albertans as well. So what do you expect, when you have that many grumpy old (white) conservatives in one place? :rolleyes:

What, people from Surrey are not welcome in Chilliwack? You know, as a white guy from Surrey, I'm pretty miffed that I'm apparently not welcome in their little redneck town, especially considering that I've got family living there. ::D

As disgusting as is, this racist attitude is not totally unexpected though, as most of Chilliwack's population growth in recent years has been from old people moving there to retire. And not just from BC, quite a few rich Albertans as well. So what do you expect, when you have that many grumpy old (white) conservatives in one place? :rolleyes:

I find it funny that the email writer accuses the Indian restaurant owners of not conforming to the local culture while at the same time invoking his Canadian background. Last I checked, the overwhelming culture of Canada was one of acceptance, welcoming immigrants and celebrating diversity. If anyone needs a lesson on conforming to Canadian culture, it is him.

Of course if he really wants to talk about conforming to the local culture, I'm sure the local native band would give him some drawings for how to convert his place into a longhouse.

B.C. sits next to the most racist area in the U.S. (the so called Inland Empire) and unfortunately seems to be influenced by it q

quite a bit.

Of course that's not to say that many of our immigrant groups don't contain a lot of racists in their own right and that many seem to almost go out of their way to stir up resentment.

Archived