The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Canucks hold first closed doors players only meeting, all agree something missing

CanucksLegacy

My point was without the ref's clamping down on the clutch and grab;

The Sedin's in particular tend to play effectively but not at Art Ross pace... At 185 lbs, and not boasting top NHL speeds, physical match ups are all the more effective if you get away with a little more...

It's why I have always argued for Kassian to play with them? He can bust match ups for them. Plus it free's Burrows to ignite other lines, like he did late last year when we resumed, gulp, our quest for the PC. Quenneville gets high marks from me for playing a rookie, Saad, on his top line and living with his mistakes because he accomplishes exactly that!

Something needs to happen. But, the buck really stops at MG's door. He needs to get the goalie situation resolved and trade for some power forwards. Right now, this team is not even close to being able to put up a successful playoff run, particularly against the mentality of the East Coast slugger-teams.

The only thing that I can say is that this team in it's current iteration is broken. There seems to be a lot of hoping for things to return to normal, rather than creating a new normal.

We legitimately have a 1st line, followed by 9 3rd line players, at this current stage of health, backed up by a pretty solid T3 defensive core (Hamhuis, Tanev, Garrison).

While I'll admit that anything could happen in the playoffs, it likely won't: Post season play is a fairly accurate indictment of the type of play shown in the regular season.

I feel that a major shake up is required this off season, a new culture, a new identity. A new coach.

As for the balance of this season and any potential (yes, potential) playoff berth it's up to the players already here to decide if they want it badly enough. If the answer is yes, then I think the team leaders ought to air out their concerns directly to Gillis. The talent is here, they just for whatever reason can't seem to motivate themselves; that to me screams "coach has lost the room".

Certainly for AV to keep his job it's Stanley Cup or bust, and based upon the subpar play outside of our own division, and the play of other top contending teams in the league this season, I just don't see any comparison whatsoever.

This droll diatribe is coming from a 24 year fan of the Canucks, I've seen the good the bad and the ugly. This my friends is teetering on post 1995, pre Messier era, and it scares me.

The only thing that I can say is that this team in it's current iteration is broken. There seems to be a lot of hoping for things to return to normal, rather than creating a new normal ...

... I feel that a major shake up is required this off season, a new culture, a new identity. A new coach.

Well let's be honest. I can legitimately see Booth, Ballard, Raymond, Malhotra, and one of Schneider/Luongo gone in the off season through free agency, trade or amnesty buyout. That takes between 17 and 19 million off of our existing salary. With Schroeder hopefully having a good taste of the NHL this season and Kassian looking to get better, Jensen looking to make the leap next along with Lack as the back up we might not be that bad off.

Corrado, Andersson and Connauton are all progressing as well.

Our depth isn't bad, and could get even better should Gillis be ballsy enough to trade Edler along with one of our Goaltenders (Schneider) could bring us that legitimate Top 6 depth we've been desperately needing for so long.

Think for a second about this at the deadline:

To VAN:

David Clarkson

Adam Larson

Johan Hedberg

To NJ:

Cory Schneider

Alex Edler

1st round pick (Conditional on Clarkson re-signing), 3rd otherwise

Use the amnesty buyout for Booth, potentially Ballard and go after Perry in the off-season (I know he's a punk but he's a rather talented one)

Next year:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) -Perry (7.5)

Burrows (4.5) - Kesler (5.0) - Clarkson (4.0)

Kassian (0.870) - Schroeder (1.125) - Jensen (0.894)

Sestito (0.670) - Lapierre (1.0) -Hansen (1.3)

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.6)

Garrison (4.6) - Larsson (0.925)

Alberts (1.75) - Tanev (1.75)

Luongo (5.33)

Lack (0.750)

63.3M = 1M under the cap

The problem is that Kassian sucks. He's too slow, not good enough with the puck, takes shifts off and can't make passes effectively. Burrows should probably get shuffled around the lineup a little to get him going, but not to push Kassian to the Sedin line. I think it'd be better to put Hansen with the Sedins and Burrows with Booth and Ebbett. Hopefully they can bring PInnizotto in soon too.

Sedins-Hansen

Burrows-Ebbett-Booth

Raymond-Lapierre-Higgins

Weise-Pinizotto-Sestito

(obviously that 4th line won't play much, when Kesler is back he'll bump Ebbett to it and Sestito to the press box to join Kassian where he belongs)

This shows the leadership on this team. Perfect timing to call a meeting, and while I've always believed the reason we've played so poorly all season is our coaching systems, it's good to see Henrik call a meeting and get the players to understand this situation.

In this case, punishment is what's needed. Player's who aren't playing with urgency or jump need a kick in the pants if anything and AV delivers. Say what you want, he's a top-10 if not top-5 NHL coach and knows how to get the best out of his players.

Well let's be honest. I can legitimately see Booth, Ballard, Raymond, Malhotra, and one of Schneider/Luongo gone in the off season through free agency, trade or amnesty buyout. That takes between 17 and 19 million off of our existing salary. With Schroeder hopefully having a good taste of the NHL this season and Kassian looking to get better, Jensen looking to make the leap next along with Lack as the back up we might not be that bad off.

Corrado, Andersson and Connauton are all progressing as well.

Our depth isn't bad, and could get even better should Gillis be ballsy enough to trade Edler along with one of our Goaltenders (Schneider) could bring us that legitimate Top 6 depth we've been desperately needing for so long.

Think for a second about this at the deadline:

To VAN:

David Clarkson

Adam Larson

Johan Hedberg

To NJ:

Cory Schneider

Alex Edler

1st round pick (Conditional on Clarkson re-signing), 3rd otherwise

Use the amnesty buyout for Booth, potentially Ballard and go after Perry in the off-season (I know he's a punk but he's a rather talented one)

Next year:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Perry (7.5)

Burrows (4.5) - Kesler (5.0) - Clarkson (3.75)

Kassian (0.870) - Schroeder (1.125) - Jensen (0.894)

Sestito (0.670) - Lapierre (1.0) - Hansen (1.3)

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.6)

Garrison (4.6) - Larsson (0.925)

Alberts (1.75) - Tanev (1.75)

Luongo (5.33)

Hedberg (1.4)

0.636M Under the cap next season. Lack develops one more year in the AHL, then Hedberg retires, gives us a couple years to deal with rising RFA contracts by letting the cap rise (which it will). Luongo warrants a stay here, I've long been an advocate of selling him, but in a couple years Lack will be where Schneider is now development wise and all appearances are that he's just as talented and capable as Schneider. By the time Luongo is ready to relegate his role as a true back up, Lack will be able to take over without controversy.

Plus, Luongo is in his prime right now, I see him having at least 2-3 more elite years before be begins to really decline, as as we all know goaltending hasn't really been an issue as much as we think in the playoffs, it's largely been a lack of scoring.

A healthy Kesler between Burrows and Clarkson is a smash mouth in your face 2nd line, and Perry with the Twins would be absolute dynamite. Not to mention a pretty good 3rd line in Kassian-Shroeder-Jensen and a helluva 4th line.

Unfortunately Perry is not going to be willing to sign in Vancouver for moneyball money and Gillis is probably not willing to give up enough assets to get him anyway.

Clarkson would also take giving significant value back so again MG probably wont be willing to do that.

Archived