The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

My main concern with this is not the signage itself but with how there are so many prople who refuse to learn english. it's clearly dividing people within communities apart. It divides co workers ( and I'm not just talking about Chinese).

People don't want to associate with each other. It's pushing us apart from a community stand point.

The key point is accepting of differences while not putting one culture above another - key features of the official policy of multiculturalism.

And requiring English on a commercial sign in addition to another language is not accepting of differences, it is putting English in a superior position.

let´s imagine the other side...

imagine that there´s a giant hispanic/latino community in China and this group decide put signs only in Spanish without translation to the local language...

now lets imagine that a Chinese walk on this area and find him/herself lost or need something, or need buy something. how would they feel if they find everything in Spanish, without translation, but both are living in China?

them people might say "learn spanish".

for a Italian, Brazilian, Portuguese citizen that´s ok. it´s super duper mega easy. but I don´t think that Spanish is easy for a Chinese person...

if Chineses can do it in Canada why Canadians can´t do this in China?

so or Canada adopt a 3rd official language or something must be done about it. they have the right to keep their culture but there´s an official language and you must respect this fact.

people might say that "you must learn Chinese". so the Latino community also have the right to put signs in Spanish without translation where they live, and so the Russians, Portuguese, Arabics, Japanese etc?

so I must learn Chinese, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Arab and Japanese to understand the signs on my country? hmmmmmm....

there must be an order because if every immigrant decide put their culture above the culture of the host country things will be crazy...

Am sorry you feel that way but am telling it like how it is. I don't care who you are, where you are from and what you do, but you better be able to speak a bit of English if you are living in Canada unless you are living in Quebec.

Why should signs be in English or French? Are you opposed to freedom of expression?

It is clear that although English and French are designated official languages that status has very limited reach.

And in any event as the principles and goals are set out in the Canadian Multiculturalism Act that enacts the Canadian policy of multiculturalism in which Canada has no official culture and no one culture is considered superior to another. It is specifically provided that the policy is to "preserve and enhance the use of languages other than English and French."

AND WHEREAS the Constitution of Canada and the Official Languages Act provide that English and French are the official languages of Canada and neither abrogates nor derogates from any rights or privileges acquired or enjoyed with respect to any other language;

Many people seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means for English and French to be official languages.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what English as an official language means and how it is interpreted in light of our policy of multiculturalism. I have laid this out several times in this thread but it seems people are not able to grasp these basic principles in the Canadian context.

Signs should be in English or French. This is the greatest nation in the world that accepts anyone, even you, so the very least you can do is put your dam store sign in a language that the majority can read. Show some flippin respect.

Archived