The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expectations for next season

Canuckler87

Next season (Full season) the Sedins will be among the top scorers and everyone will run out and get their jerseys and all will be great in Vancouver. This shortened season was not a good indication of how good a team really is, look at Columbus... As long as we get rid of AV and everyone is healthy, I'm sure all will be well...

This team needs changes in coaching and personnel.

First, relieve the coach staff (all of them) of their duties because they are completely incapable of:

(1) knowing when to make adjustments

(2) when they do make adjustments/changes they are AWFUL (4 forwards on the first PP and no Garrison, Roy not with Higgins, Kassian with the Sedins after the game is lost, etc..)and

(3) clearly they have favorites when there are other players who would make this team better (Schroeder and Ballard not playing).

Personnel subtractions:

Let Roy, Raymond, and Ebbett walk.

Trade or buy out Ballard (I think he could be useful here if the coach would actually deploy him correctly and let him play his game).

I'd give Booth 30 games next year to see if he fits with Kesler and Higgins and if not, trade him.

Luongo needs to be moved simply to end the distraction.

Personnel Additions:

A defensemen who can make clean outlet pass please. The lack of a defensemen who can move the puck has killed this teams transition game, something this team was dominant at during the Sedins Art Ross years.

Another Manny Malhotra type player to be the 3C. This team was at its best when it's 3C could chip in 30-40 points, win tons of faceoffs, and shutdown opposing top lines. The team has not been the same since Manny's injury and I think going back to the model lines we had in 2011 is the best chance of making another cup run.

Draft picks/prospects from the Lu trade.

The reason for that was gillis pratically standing pat for 2 years after the SCF and killing our center strength

Well,

The demise of the organization has been pretty quick. From the mismanagement of assets, to poor coaching on the ice, not to mention the product on the ice, its all gone down hill pretty quick from our cup run. The next steps start with the ownership and while they shouldn't pull out the blow torches, MG needs to be held accountable and if he can't admit to the mismanagement on his part (ballard, booth, lu, manny) nor provide a proper plan moving forward then he needs to be replaced.

It is a foregone conclusion that AV will be fired.

__*__ - Kesler - Burrows

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - _____ - Hansen

Pinner - Lapierre - Weise

* = Legit 1st liner, centreman turned winger like Pavelski

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Corrado

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

(Edler traded while his value is high)

AV out, Brent Sutter in

MG stays only if he gets a steal for one of our goalies

Neither of the Sedins wear any letter

Give the C to Kesler, only because Sutter won't let him dive anymore

On paper the Canucks are a good team. So why cant they do anything with this? To me it is on the staff as many also think.

Im not saying this is the only change that need be made but a new coach is the first step.

Bringing in a new coaching staff (all of em) brings a new attitude. That attitude could translate to a wake up for this team. As i see it we are a giant lying dormant. No desire to be woken by the current staff. A new staff could wake the beast within and really drive this team to do something.

I would be willing to give it 1 to 2 seasons at most before i agree with a complete wholesale rebuild of this team. If a new coach cant light a fire under the talent we have then the talent we have doesnt deserve to represent our city.

I have thoughts on players that need to stay or go and contracts that are horrible but i cant predict what will happen there.

Edler traded for RW sniper

A goalie traded for gritty 3C

UfAs Clowe, Torres, dependable 6d

Trade/buy out Ballard and Booth

Clowe Kes RWsniper

Sedins Burrows

Torres grittyC Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Kass

Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

Alberts Corrado

Andersson Trade

Lu or Schneids

Lack

*New coaching staff

1. Coaching staff top to bottom fired.

2. resolve the damn goalie situation already.

3 personnel changes....

Luongo, Roy, Raymond, Ebbett, Sestito, Pinizzotto, Ballard and Barker all need to go.

Decisions on Lapierre, Alberts, Edler/ Bieksa need to be made before the draft and free agency in order to fill out the roster.

IMO you move Edler for a goal scorer of similar age that can play on the PP if possible.

MG you are officially on probation.

3 personnel changes....

Luongo, Roy, Raymond, Ebbett, Sestito, Pinizzotto, Ballard and Barker all need to go.

Decisions on Lapierre, Alberts, Edler/ Bieksa need to be made before the draft and free agency in order to fill out the roster.

IMO you move Edler for a goal scorer of similar age that can play on the PP if possible.

Yeah, rebuild if they can. There needs to be some major changes in the foward core in the off-season or this club is on it's way to being the next Calgary.

I'm not sure who should even be safe. Garrison, Hamhuis, Tanev at least on D. Forwards? Less clear.

I would go the Philly route and trade a bunch of our players such as Garrison, Bieksa, Edler, Luongo for near ready prospects and/or draft picks assuming we can get these players to waive their NTC's (smart move there Gillis you Dumb@$$).

Then buyout Ballard. I'm not so sure about Booth just yet. I'm indifferent whether we keep him or not at this point.

Let Raymond, Malhotra, Roy, Pinny and other plugs walk to FA.

Fill the team with Jensen, Gaunce, Corrado, Lack, Archibald, Schroeder...

The team may look weak on paper, but as we have all seen "on paper" means jack all come playoff time. You need players who care and want to play in the NHL. If we tank then so be it. At least our prospects gain valuable experience and we draft a stud in the 2014 draft.

3 personnel changes....

Archived