The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So, did Frans Nielsen's headshot on Kesler even get a look?

Xanlet

Penalty but not a suspendable play. For the record I don't believe the Elder hit was suspendable either.

Why are we still talking about this?

Because the overall issue is a polarizing one filled with emotion around one of people's favourite sports involving one of their favourite teams.

A number of people have been arguing about bias and with emotion rather than looking at each situation and seeing if they're suspendable or not based on their own merits. There's no question about the NHL's lack of consistency, but people want to take that and apply it to every possible situation that affects them and cry foul regardless of if it's a good decision or not.

Because the overall issue is a polarizing one filled with emotion around one of people's favourite sports involving one of their favourite teams.

A number of people have been arguing about bias and with emotion rather than looking at each situation and seeing if they're suspendable or not based on their own merits. There's no question about the NHL's lack of consistency, but people want to take that and apply it to every possible situation that affects them and cry foul regardless of if it's a good decision or not.

Throw enough ****at the wall until it finally sticks.

Penalty but not a suspendable play. For the record I don't believe the Elder hit was suspendable either.

Why are we still talking about this?

Because the people who make these calls still work at the NHL. Remember when Daniel Sedin's "kicked in" goal was disallowed in the playoffs against the Kings in 2010? Mike Murphy STILL works at the NHL, he's STILL a major part of the decision making TO THIS DAY. My question is, why do people stop talking about these unforgivable transgressions, especially when they directly contradict the rule book AND the addendum DVD they had just sent out that very season, like the decision on Sedin's goal was.

Except when you actually read what people write, such as canuck73_3 on the previous page:

To me that was an elbowing penalty but not suspension worthy. But the Hertl hit was not suspension worthy to me either so in fairness I'd like to have seen Nielsen get 3 for a non suspension worthy hit.

People aren't saying this should be suspendable because Nielsen deserves it, but because the league set a precedent with the Edler suspension. This contact is worse than what Edler did as Edler didn't even hit Hertl (Hertl ran into Edler).

Archived