The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Horgan expected to run for B.C. NDP leadership

J529

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mla-john-horgan-expected-to-run-for-b-c-ndp-leadership-1.2575632

Victoria-area MLA John Horgan is expected to announce plans to run for the leadership of the B.C. NDP in his Langford riding this evening, setting the stage for a partial rematch in the race.

Horgan will be running against veteran MLA Mike Farnworth. Both fought for the job in 2011, but eventually lost to current leader Adrian Dix.

After Dix announced he was stepping down last September, Horgan was considered a likely candidate for the leadership, but instead he announced he was stepping aside to allow room for new younger candidates.

But since that time none have come forward, and Horgan could have a solid shot at winning. The only other candidate in the race is Farnworth, who announced he was running earlier this month.

Horgan is considered to be more pro-economic development than current leader Adrian Dix, and has already talked about re-examining Dix's decision to oppose the expansion of the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline.

Horgan was first elected in 2005, but worked behind the scenes when the NDP was in power in the 1990's.

The party will pick its new leader in September.

Still not sure how they lost the last election when the Liberals virtually handed it to them.

Dix is idiot and failure as leader, along with his past, flip flopping on Kinder Morgan and wouldn't go negative. Along with NDP is joke of party

Polls were false and BS

General public are dumb as fuck

Dix is idiot and failure as leader, along with his past, flip flopping on Kinder Morgan and wouldn't go negative. Along with NDP is joke of party

Polls were false and BS

General public are dumb as frack

This is joke of post.

Are you not a member of the general public? I certainly am, but I'm not "dumb as frack".

The NDP losing that election will be in text books for a couple of generations. It was epic, laughable, and frankly, awesome.

Pretty much that ^^^

Mostly I blame the parties own incompetence for not being able to pick an electable leader.

That too. I still can't believe how NDP put someone as leader like Dix with his history. Goes to show how bush league and what joke the party is.

This is joke of post.

Are you not a member of the general public? I certainly am, but I'm not "dumb as frack".

The NDP losing that election will be in text books for a couple of generations. It was epic, laughable, and frankly, awesome.

The NDP lost that election based on a number of things.

1. Dix and Sihota were the titular heads as it was left over from the mess of the 90's including funny spending, fast cats, scandals and legal issues as well as were the subjects of the unending attack ads both back then and now by the Libs and the then Conservative Alliance party of BC.

2. The Libs promised everything people wanted and gave them the illusion of wealth by lying through their teeth about LNG revenue (which as EVERYONE with half a brain stated was a lie and will never be realized) while the NDP took a strong stance that people got behind then immediately flopped on not two weeks before the election. This coupled with those self same attack ads gave people the incentive they needed to switch back to the proverbial devil they knew.

3. A lot of the NDP runners had this almost entitled mentality where they really didn't try as hard as they could have. The moniker of "the honest working party" was thrown out the window by that air of entitlement in their belief that the people of BC would just vote them in because "they weren't the Libs"

A number of factors came in to play to lose the NDP that election. And it is troubling because some of the candidates the NDP ran truly did care but were beaten by their leaders own stupidity and the public's stupidity as well.

Here in Penticton we were promised a hospital tower and hospital renovation. instead what we have is the former mayor promising us a tower only to give us a $2.4 million business plan which now is costing more than $4 million. While Clarke herself lost the election in her own riding and took her time running somewhere else against an opponent who had literally no chance at all based on the location and historical voting of the riding.

The NDP helped themselves lose the election but the general public's own stupidty and timidity helped and now we are stuck.

Horgan I don't know enough about to say anything good or ill. But as it stands with Christy I've only worked 3 months in 2 and 1/2 years Clarke....he cannot do any worse.

The NDP helped themselves lose the election but the general public's own stupidty and timidity helped and now we are stuck.

I didn't vote for either of those parties (another reasons the Liberals won IMO) and it wasn't out of stupidity or timidity.

The NDP lost that election based on a number of things.

1. Dix and Sihota were the titular heads as it was left over from the mess of the 90's including funny spending, fast cats, scandals and legal issues as well as were the subjects of the unending attack ads both back then and now by the Libs and the then Conservative Alliance party of BC.

2. The Libs promised everything people wanted and gave them the illusion of wealth by lying through their teeth about LNG revenue (which as EVERYONE with half a brain stated was a lie and will never be realized) while the NDP took a strong stance that people got behind then immediately flopped on not two weeks before the election. This coupled with those self same attack ads gave people the incentive they needed to switch back to the proverbial devil they knew.

3. A lot of the NDP runners had this almost entitled mentality where they really didn't try as hard as they could have. The moniker of "the honest working party" was thrown out the window by that air of entitlement in their belief that the people of BC would just vote them in because "they weren't the Libs"

A number of factors came in to play to lose the NDP that election. And it is troubling because some of the candidates the NDP ran truly did care but were beaten by their leaders own stupidity and the public's stupidity as well.

Here in Penticton we were promised a hospital tower and hospital renovation. instead what we have is the former mayor promising us a tower only to give us a $2.4 million business plan which now is costing more than $4 million. While Clarke herself lost the election in her own riding and took her time running somewhere else against an opponent who had literally no chance at all based on the location and historical voting of the riding.

Horgan I don't know enough about to say anything good or ill. But as it stands with Christy I've only worked 3 months in 2 and 1/2 years Clarke....he cannot do any worse.

Horgan would be the best choice for leader as he's fresh, doesn't have baggage, great speaker, tough and isn't linked to 90's NDP unless you consider working behind the scenes as such.

So much for Liberals great jobs plan.

I didn't vote for either of those parties (another reasons the Liberals won IMO) and it wasn't out of stupidity or timidity.

Protest vote and not having another option. Greens are no better, living in fantasy land and voting for them is complete waste.

Doesn't matter whose in charge as long as they're kept out of office.

Any party that penalizes success and rewards incompetence is doomed to fail.

Buying union votes with tax dollars while taxing the ass off anyone who has the nerve to be successful didn't work out very well in Detroit.

So who should I have voted for?

(I never said I voted Green FWIW.)

Far be it for me to tell you or anyone else to how you should have voted. I was just putting it out there about Greens.

All parties are the same as they fuck us over in the end. It's case of which parties is lesser of two evils. That aside, there's no way Liberals should have been re-elected. 16 years is way too long for this party to be government, along with their corruption, lies, destroying people's lives, breaking contracts, BS, etc. is rewarded with re-election and all of that has been erased and slated wipe clean. What a joke.

Far be it for me to tell you or anyone else to how you should have voted. I was just putting it out there about Greens.

All parties are the same as they frack us over in the end. It's case of which parties is lesser of two evils. That aside, there's no way Liberals should have been re-elected. 16 years is way too long for this party to be government, along with their corruption, lies, destroying people's lives, breaking contracts, BS, etc. is rewarded with re-election and all of that has been erased and slated wipe clean. What a joke.

You alone don't get to decide what any party (or voter) does I'm afraid.

Who said the slate is wiped clean or anything erased? There was simply more people who felt that the corrupt Liberals were a better (or less bad) option compared to the incompetent NDP.

The real problem is not having any viable party worth voting for.

Archived