The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last year was an aberration.

Canuckseeesh

Ok so i understand that last year was terrible in so many ways with so many players having career lows, but why does everyone suddenly think our team is in need to rebuild. Yes our team is in a decline, and yes we are getting older/slower, but you have to admit last year was an aberration... What exactly states that it's going to happen again?

looking at our current roster

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Kassian*** - vacant - vacant
Higgins - Matthias - Jensen
Hansen - Richardson - Archibald***
Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev*** - Stanton
Lack
Markstrom
***need to re-sign
****21M in cap space when Kes is traded
after signing the RFAs we'll have about 13M for 2 roster spots. Realistically speaking, you have to expect bounce back years from sedins and burrows now that they're healthy. Edler finally showing us he's capable of being a number 1, and garrisons big shot. By looking at this roster our only question marks are in goaltending and the 2nd line. With the draft and free agency coming up we have sooooo many options to fill that void, i.e.; Horvat, Shinkaruk, 6th overall(or higher), Santorelli, return from kes deal, and various free agents.
Our first line will definitely be better this time around (expect sedins to be back at ppg), 3rd line is pretty solid, and 4th line is filled with hard working individuals that play with an edge. I want to clarify this, this doesn't look like a team that's threatening or a shoe in to be a contender, but it's definitely not a rebuild and definitely seems like a playoff team. In my opinion a rebuild will commence when the top 2 players on our team are gone.
In sum, don't expect this team to suddenly fall into the bottom 10 again next year unless a major trade is involved in which are roster would consist of primarily prospects and the sedins.

The free agency only has three top 6 centers... Richards, Stastny, and Legwand. So we will probably have to get our second line center from within. Most likely Santorelli or Matthias. Hopefully there is more rookies in the line-up then last year, and not just on the 4th line. I always enjoy watching our younger kids play and I find I don't really care about the end result just as long as the young guys had a good game.

when it comes to playoff hockey, sedins were never first line material. they can regain their regular season form next year but we all know what will happen in the post season

so true .. if the sedins are your second line , and you have bonafide first line , I believe you are a stanley cup contender ..

We dont need a complete rebuild but we need to start retooling and getting younger . If we dont our future will be very bleak

Problem is, as it has been for years. Live by the Sedin line, die by the Sedin line. They need to stop building the team around the Sedins. As far as I see it, they're not first liners anymore. Time to look at a new first line.

Where do plan on getting all these "first liners" from?

The free agency only has three top 6 centers... Richards, Stastny, and Legwand. So we will probably have to get our second line center from within. Most likely Santorelli or Matthias. Hopefully there is more rookies in the line-up then last year, and not just on the 4th line. I always enjoy watching our younger kids play and I find I don't really care about the end result just as long as the young guys had a good game.

+1 for you ! Love that attitude. :)

When we lose Kes, we will have 21 mill in cap.

Stastny-7.25 million

Legwand-4 million

Richards-4 million

=15.25 million total

leaving 5 million to sign players like Sontorelli, and Kassian.(BTW, Tanev doesn't get paid by Canucks because he is on his way to FLA in exchange for the 1rst OA, also Hansen is gone for extra cap to sign a depth d-man)

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Legwand-Stastny-Richards

Higgins-Santorelli-Kassian

Matthias-Richardson-Plug

I know it wont happen but if it did happen, would we be contenders

When we lose Kes, we will have 21 mill in cap.

Stastny-7.25 million

Legwand-4 million

Richards-4 million

=15.25 million total

leaving 5 million to sign players like Sontorelli, and Kassian.(BTW, Tanev doesn't get paid by Canucks because he is on his way to FLA in exchange for the 1rst OA, also Hansen is gone for extra cap to sign a depth d-man)

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Legwand-Stastny-Richards

Higgins-Santorelli-Kassian

Matthias-Richardson-Plug

I know it wont happen but if it did happen, would we be contenders

You're missing Jensen!

Frankly, I'm not that interested in the players we now have, i'm more interested in who they're going to obtain for the future. The one thing they desperately need is a top pick, almost guaranteed top three forward to build around for the future and that obviously is one of the Sam's.

Sedin's and Burrows were a dynamic first line, but they're not anymore and that being the case Sedin, Sedin, Burrows could be an effective second line and that's where the problem lies - at present we won't have any first line players on this team or in the system, so if I were the GM I'd try to move heaven and earth to get Sam Reinhardt, or Sam Bennett, because if the Canucks do make the playoffs, it's not likely another draft opportunity like this will come along for a few years and then everyone will be saying we're just like Calgary, we waited to long with these core players and now we're in a full 5-7 year rebuild.

Ok so i understand that last year was terrible in so many ways with so many players having career lows, but why does everyone suddenly think our team is in need to rebuild. Yes our team is in a decline, and yes we are getting older/slower, but you have to admit last year was an aberration... What exactly states that it's going to happen again?

looking at our current roster

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Kassian*** - vacant - vacant
Higgins - Matthias - Jensen
Hansen - Richardson - Archibald***
Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Tanev*** - Stanton
Lack
Markstrom
***need to re-sign
****21M in cap space when Kes is traded
after signing the RFAs we'll have about 13M for 2 roster spots. Realistically speaking, you have to expect bounce back years from sedins and burrows now that they're healthy. Edler finally showing us he's capable of being a number 1, and garrisons big shot. By looking at this roster our only question marks are in goaltending and the 2nd line. With the draft and free agency coming up we have sooooo many options to fill that void, i.e.; Horvat, Shinkaruk, 6th overall(or higher), Santorelli, return from kes deal, and various free agents.
Our first line will definitely be better this time around (expect sedins to be back at ppg), 3rd line is pretty solid, and 4th line is filled with hard working individuals that play with an edge. I want to clarify this, this doesn't look like a team that's threatening or a shoe in to be a contender, but it's definitely not a rebuild and definitely seems like a playoff team. In my opinion a rebuild will commence when the top 2 players on our team are gone.
In sum, don't expect this team to suddenly fall into the bottom 10 again next year unless a major trade is involved in which are roster would consist of primarily prospects and the sedins.

It wasn't an aberration. We have been on a steady decline, and last year was just the next step. You've provided no decent argument as to why it was an "abberation". middle playoff seeding an a first round sweep; then next step is a playoff miss.

Unless you want to be the next Calgary, then there is no point in holding off a rebuild.

People think we should rebuild because of how we stack up against the powers of the West. Anaheim, LA, Chicago, etc are all better than us right now and in the future. Our average age is older and many of their players are just entering their prime (Toews, Kopitar, etc).

Don't be sad about tanking/rebuilding though. It's not every year you get a chance to draft McDavid, Eichel, etc. Not the worst time to suck essentially.

when it comes to playoff hockey, sedins were never first line material. they can regain their regular season form next year but we all know what will happen in the post season

The Sedins have produced at around a .8 to .9 points per game average in the play offs. Quit spouting crap about players you know nothing about

The Sedins have produced at around a .8 to .9 points per game average in the play offs. Quit spouting crap about players you know nothing about

i know nothing about? are you sure you watched them against the ducks - 07, blackhawks - 10, preds and bruins - 11 ? the only reason their playoff points are high because they have great series from time to time (sharks 2011, kings 2010) but they never seem to do it on a regular basis. there are always (and will be) teams that have no problem shutting them down. so why don't you start watching actual games instead of looking at the stats from wikipedia?

We were on the decline already due to MGs inability to manage the roster from his many Ntcs. Torts was just the wrong person at the wrong time and highlighted the teams difficiencies. This team has needed an injection of fresh blood since the cup finals, not more ntcs.

i know nothing about? are you sure you watched them against the ducks - 07, blackhawks - 10, preds and bruins - 11 ? the only reason their playoff points are high because they have great series from time to time (sharks 2011, kings 2010) but they never seem to do it on a regular basis. there are always (and will be) teams that have no problem shutting them down. so why don't you start watching actual games instead of looking at the stats from wikipedia?

They were just under a point per game vs the sharks 2013, the kings 2012, and the only real series they were shut down was against the bruins.... But of your course you know that because you watched the game... Differenece between you and "Wikipedia" is that stats don't lie.

If they are almost a point per game in the play offs ALL TIME then that means they average almost a point per game in the playoffs, I do t really know what else to say to get that through your head. I'm sorry that you can't see them getting points because all you care about are the goals and not the assists.

Is Crosby not a play off performer because he got shut down vs the bruins and the rangers?? Is Toews not a play off performer because he got shut Dow. Vs the Bruins?

Instead of bashing the Sedins why don't you just give credit where credit is due... The Bruins are built to shut down and they excel at it. Charas long reach can break up passes EXTREMELY well... Guess what the Sedins live off? Short passes down low, the cycle game.

So before you bash me for watching stats and say I don't watch hockey, why don't you take a page from your own book and actually learn about hockey. Might do you some good.... Or you could just keep listening to a bunch of uneducated fools and regurgitate what they and the media says.

They were just under a point per game vs the sharks 2013, the kings 2012, and the only real series they were shut down was against the bruins.... But of your course you know that because you watched the game... Differenece between you and "Wikipedia" is that stats don't lie.

If they are almost a point per game in the play offs ALL TIME then that means they average almost a point per game in the playoffs, I do t really know what else to say to get that through your head. I'm sorry that you can't see them getting points because all you care about are the goals and not the assists.

Is Crosby not a play off performer because he got shut down vs the bruins and the rangers?? Is Toews not a play off performer because he got shut Dow. Vs the Bruins?

Instead of bashing the Sedins why don't you just give credit where credit is due... The Bruins are built to shut down and they excel at it. Charas long reach can break up passes EXTREMELY well... Guess what the Sedins live off? Short passes down low, the cycle game.

So before you bash me for watching stats and say I don't watch hockey, why don't you take a page from your own book and actually learn about hockey. Might do you some good.... Or you could just keep listening to a bunch of uneducated fools and regurgitate what they and the media says.

so you still claim there's nothing wrong with their playoff performance? you're even worse than luongo fanboys

Archived