Leon+Draisaitl+Brandon+Carlo+Tri+City+Am

SHOOTS: Right

HEIGHT: 6'5

WEIGHT: 185

BIRTHDATE: 1996-11-26

HOMETOWN: Colorado Springs, CO

EVALUATION: Mid-1st Round Pick 2015 NHL Entry Draft

PROJECTION: Jay Bouwmeester//Alex Pietrangelo-type Player in 3+ Years

Honestly, I could not have higher praise for this kid.

For the longest time, I have held Brandon Carlo up as having the most complete defensive game in this year's draft. Upwardly mobile and with fantastic skating ability, Carlo is an athletic specimen.

While his offensive ability is limited, that will come as he rounds out his game as a more two-way defenceman. Works extremely hard. He has been played by his coaches in a shutdown role from the age of 16 and that has done wonders for his reliability. He is learning more of an offensive role and can really move the puck. Uses his long reach to create turnovers and is fantastic without the puck. Very good instincts as a defenceman and great hockey sense. In my opinion, he possesses the best defensive game out of all of the 2015 Draft prospects and the sky is his ceiling if he sticks to his strengths and keeps progressing offensively.

His role will change with the Americans. He is already the alternate captain, and he is already trusted with an immense amount of ice time. Totally relied upon by the system and he is bearing the weight well.

At the end of the day, defensive play is the crux of a defenceman's being. If a D-man can't do that well, but oh he can create offense and score, then he should play as a forward. Carlo represents everything that a defenceman should be; willing to do anything to keep the puck out of the net and assist the goaltender: that has been ingrained in him ever since a young age. Talking to him, he knows his role, he knows his game inside and out, and is a guy that other players can rally around.

His positioning is excellent - a lot of defencemen think that they can try and block the puck in front of the net, but don't realize that they are preventing the goalie from getting a clear look. His angles are perfect and he always gives his goalie a chance to make a save, while clearing traffic in front of the net.

Here you can find some of his on-ice testing.

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Brandon-Carlo-draft-spotlight.pdf

EliteProspects:
Brandon Carlo is an industrious, shift-by-shift defenceman who lets the game come to him rather than chasing the play; he is able to quickly adapt to the pace of the game on the fly. Through maneuvering his way around the ice and making high-percentage, skilled decisions in all three zones, he is able to shut opposition offense down before it begins to take shape. Carlo is a smooth skater who can control the puck very well and get into open areas for scoring chances; that being said, he does and will need help finding offense due to his natural defensive style of play. All-in-all, a towering, defensive d-man that has very few holes in his game and is physically ready to make the next step. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

FutureConsiderations:

An absolute monster out on the ice and skates extremely well for his size…a good powerful skating stride and displays good lateral mobility…a mean, nasty, physical player… looks to jump up into the rush and push the offensive pace…possesses a hard shot and does a good job getting himself into shooting positions…good offensive instincts to go with his skating and snarl…ability to make some big body checks…a big minute muncher who plays both sides of the puck…physically he is almost NHL ready. (December 2014)

Not the best stick-handler and I am not taking him top 20 because other players have better upside. I like how he is physical, skates well and plays solid defensively but his offence isn't there which is why I'd rather take a more offensive guy like his partner Parker Wotherspoon, skates well, moves the puck and makes smart decisions, reminds me of T.J Brodie.

Not the best stick-handler and I am not taking him top 20 because other players have better upside. I like how he is physical, skates well and plays solid defensively but his offence isn't there which is why I'd rather take a more offensive guy like his partner Parker Wotherspoon, skates well, moves the puck and makes smart decisions, reminds me of T.J Brodie.

Whoaaa, you'd take spooner over Carlo in the top 20?

Interesting...

True that he isn't the best stick handler.

Puck skills and overall offensive capacity definitely isn't there yet.

I have confidence that he'll develop well though.

I have hoped but have not received my wish that he be traded to Brandon Wheat Kings so he can be the captain: Captain Brandon of Brandon.

Tri-City isn't a great team, but they work hard and value their players greatly. I don't think they'd trade Carlo.

I'd honestly rather have a defenceman who can skate, has size, and can play defence like nobody's business than a d-man who can fly and create offence like it's nobody's business - but is completely useless in his own end. Even a guy who is mediocre in his own end. Decision making is key, and I think that's what a lot of scouts love about Carlo; his capacity to make game-breaking decisions in his own end.

Whoaaa, you'd take spooner over Carlo in the top 20?

Interesting...

Well I'd take Carlo ahead of Wotherspoon but Wotherspoon is going in the 2nd/3rd round while Carlo is 1st/2nd round so I'd take a forward instead of Carlo in the 1st/2nd and then take Wotherspoon.

Archived