The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Chicago re-signs Brent Seabrook

Pears

• 1 month later...

I rarely comment on cdc anymore. I read it once in awhile and I have to say that coryberg made me have to post.

First, do you truly believe that the Hawks give a crap even if he does decline in 4-5 years? He is an elite level dman who can do it all and has been a huge contributor to all their cup wins (and quite possibly a few more). Big, physical, booming shot, can play big minutes 5 on 5 and both special teams, is incredibly smart positionally on d, is super clutch in the playoffs, and would be hands down the #1 dman on almost any team in the NHL.

At 34 he will still be a better player than Bieksa ever was. 

+/- is a team stat and when combined with points looking at the play and value of a defenseman it is essentially useless cherry picking.

Bieksa at times could play good offensively and at times good defensively. Unlike Seabrook he could never consistently do both at the same time though and could never carry a team at either end. Comparing the two is not realistic at all. Seabrook is not a high risk, high reward type. He has actually been a low risk, massive reward player. Even if he "slows down" to have to be more high risk he will still be a very good player.

The Hawks are perpetually in win now mode after getting some core franchise players as a result of drafting high for a number of years (and drafting great players in other rounds and more importantly developing them properly) but then signing, trading, and integrating young players to key roles better than any team in the NHL. They never get so attached to non core players that they aren't willing to move them to try to upgrade and to manage their cap.

As much as many here want to wish for and foreshadow the imminent downfall of Chicago, something tells me they are going to be disappointed. The Canucks should have taken the opportunity a few years ago to start building the Chicago way. Best managed team in the NHL imo.

Archived