The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pittsburgh writer says Vancouver 2010 Olympics more dangerous than Rio

ShakyWalton

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Has anyone called this clown out on the Pitts Steelers riots?  Ben Rothlesbergers rape charges?  Rio seeing more thefts and muggings and issues in the village than even Sochi?  Atlanta's bombing etc?

I'd love to see his answers to things like that

He got called out very nicely in pretty much every way with no response.

Pretty sure he was put in his place.

This is one of those incidents where you just let it play out and laugh.  Lets face it, everyone knew this Olympics was going to be a disaster. The only question really was how big of one.

The majority of the media and the IOC have tried to downplay the issues, but the green pools, robberies, and deaths speak for themselves.

Wow that's just stupid. I did some looking at this years so far man was I SHOCKED at what is going on.

IOC vice-president John Coates told the BBC: "This has been the most difficult games we have ever encountered."

Among the problems that have surfaced so far:

• An Olympic security officer was fatally shot after taking a wrong turn into a dangerous slum.
  • Two Australian rowing coaches were attacked and robbed by two assailants, one with a knife, in Ipanema, and Portugal's education minister was held up at knifepoint on a busy street nearby.
  • Stray bullets have twice landed in the equestrian venue at the Olympic complex in Deodoro.
  • Two windows were shattered on a bus carrying journalists; Rio organizers blamed rocks, some claimed it was gunfire.
  • A German Olympic canoe coach, Stefan Henze, suffered life-threatening head injuries when a taxi he was riding in crashed into a concrete barrier near the Olympic Park. (Update has passed away)
  • Bomb squads set off several controlled explosions after finding unattended bags at venues and across the city.
  • The water at the diving and water polo pool turned green. Organizers blamed a contractor for mistakenly dumping hydrogen peroxide into the pool. "The embarrassment won't last forever," Andrada said.
  • Some venues, including the track and field stadium for Friday's opening day of athletics competition, have been plagued by empty seats and small crowds. High ticket prices and lack of interest among Brazilians in some sports have been blamed.
  • Because of a shortage of concession stands at some venues, organizers have had to open the gates to let fans out to find food and water.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/from-empty-seats-to-robberies-rio-struggles-with-litany-of-problems-1.3028002

Just saw this as well....

Ryan Lochte and three other American swimmers were robbed at gunpoint early Sunday by thieves posing as police officers who stopped their taxi and took their money and belongings, the U.S. Olympic Committee said.

In the latest security incident to hit the Rio Games, Lochte told NBC that one of the robbers put a gun to his forehead before taking his wallet. No one was injured.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte told NBC's Today show . "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cellphone, he left my credentials."

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/ioc-says-report-ryan-lochte-robbed-gunpoint-untrue.html

16 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wow that's just stupid. I did some looking at this years so far man was I SHOCKED at what is going on.

IOC vice-president John Coates told the BBC: "This has been the most difficult games we have ever encountered."

Among the problems that have surfaced so far:

• An Olympic security officer was fatally shot after taking a wrong turn into a dangerous slum.
  • Two Australian rowing coaches were attacked and robbed by two assailants, one with a knife, in Ipanema, and Portugal's education minister was held up at knifepoint on a busy street nearby.
  • Stray bullets have twice landed in the equestrian venue at the Olympic complex in Deodoro.
  • Two windows were shattered on a bus carrying journalists; Rio organizers blamed rocks, some claimed it was gunfire.
  • A German Olympic canoe coach, Stefan Henze, suffered life-threatening head injuries when a taxi he was riding in crashed into a concrete barrier near the Olympic Park. (Update has passed away)
  • Bomb squads set off several controlled explosions after finding unattended bags at venues and across the city.
  • The water at the diving and water polo pool turned green. Organizers blamed a contractor for mistakenly dumping hydrogen peroxide into the pool. "The embarrassment won't last forever," Andrada said.
  • Some venues, including the track and field stadium for Friday's opening day of athletics competition, have been plagued by empty seats and small crowds. High ticket prices and lack of interest among Brazilians in some sports have been blamed.
  • Because of a shortage of concession stands at some venues, organizers have had to open the gates to let fans out to find food and water.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/from-empty-seats-to-robberies-rio-struggles-with-litany-of-problems-1.3028002

Just saw this as well....

Ryan Lochte and three other American swimmers were robbed at gunpoint early Sunday by thieves posing as police officers who stopped their taxi and took their money and belongings, the U.S. Olympic Committee said.

In the latest security incident to hit the Rio Games, Lochte told NBC that one of the robbers put a gun to his forehead before taking his wallet. No one was injured.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte told NBC's Today show . "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cellphone, he left my credentials."

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/ioc-says-report-ryan-lochte-robbed-gunpoint-untrue.html

Not to mention they have officially run out of money and volunteers are quitting due to long hours and lack of food. 

Archived