The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Theoretical Draft moves for the Canucks.

On 2017-03-16 at 8:13 PM, DontMessMe said:

Tank Tank Tank

Can we just LOSE on PURPOSE plz 

Vancouver Comets!! 

Throw in the white flag! 

They won't need Utica players to lose games down the stretch. The vets on the team are leading the way. It's what I call the Unintentional Tank. As long as the kids are played, and that they are showing heart and promise, I'm perfectly fine with the Sedins defensive liabilities sticking out like a sore thumb, the clueless coach grinding Ryan Miller into dust, and with the team, as a result, losing unintentionally. 

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I say we trade down and pick up 6 ft 6 C Michael Rasmussen then with our second pick we trade up for 6ft 6 LW Isaac Ratcliffe

Granlund Horvat Boesser

Goldobin Sutter Dahlen

Ratcliffe Rasmussen Lockwood

MacEwan Gaudette Virtanen 

Drafting for size is out of date, just look at the top 4 scorers in the NHL this year. Size really isn't much of a factor in today's NHL. Also if you would have watched Rasmussen in person or grew up playing against him you would understand there's a good chance he doesn't pan out to being more than a third line centre. Ratcliffe could be worth a shot, but I would draft for skill over size any day of the week. 

Also regarding your projected lineup, if Sutter is our second line centre we are in trouble. The guy has no clue how to distribute the puck and makes nobody around him better. Good third line centre but nothing more. And if I'm picking top 10 I dont want that pick to end up as our third line centre. If we are picking 5-8 how about we look at someone like Cody glass, he has way more tools to translate to the NHL level.

Drafting for size is a thing of the past, Hockey IQ and skill should be first and foremost and if all skills you deem important are tied, then down the line size is a acceptable tiebreaker, at best. 

34 minutes ago, DinoTambo said:

They won't need Utica players to lose games down the stretch. The vets on the team are leading the way. It's what I call the Unintentional Tank. As long as the kids are played, and that they are showing heart and promise, I'm perfectly fine with the Sedins defensive liabilities sticking out like a sore thumb, the clueless coach grinding Ryan Miller into dust, and with the team, as a result, losing unintentionally. 

Totally agree, I think Willie is part of the problem with his player deployment especially, which is suspect at best. We also cant forget that Utica is in a battle for a playoff spot, so its super important they get in. AHL playoff games would be huge for our young prospects in the minors to develope and gain valuable experience. I think Demko especially, now that he is heating up, would grow leaps and bounds by going 1 or 2 rounds deep into the playoffs. Look at what it did for Markstrom when Utica went to the finals.

3 minutes ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Drafting for size is out of date, just look at the top 4 scorers in the NHL this year. Size really isn't much of a factor in today's NHL. Also if you would have watched Rasmussen in person or grew up playing against him you would understand there's a good chance he doesn't pan out to being more than a third line centre. Ratcliffe could be worth a shot, but I would draft for skill over size any day of the week. 

Also regarding your projected lineup, if Sutter is our second line centre we are in trouble. The guy has no clue how to distribute the puck and makes nobody around him better. Good third line centre but nothing more. And if I'm picking top 10 I dont want that pick to end up as our third line centre. If we are picking 5-8 how about we look at someone like Cody glass, he has way more tools to translate to the NHL level.

Drafting for size is a thing of the past, Hockey IQ and skill should be first and foremost and if all skills you deem important are tied, then down the line size is a acceptable tiebreaker, at best. 

Yep I like Cody Glass. He has decent potential and would make a good one two punch with Horvat. 

Goldobin Glass Dahlen/Lockwood 

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft

this thing is addicting

there is too many possible outcomes to propose something but obviously if we can snag hischier or patrick this season is salvaged. 

most teams at the bottom need forwards and are rebuilding so i doubt they would be looking to trade their pick for tanev but i like the idea 

That pick from Arizona is the most get-able. They have Keller and Strome and Domi. They don't need another center. They'll be looking to trade down if it means they can nab some assets in the making and then just draft a winger or defenceman with the later pick

I'd seriously consider 5th overall + Virtanen for the 2nd overall or JB, throw them whatever they want. We've got defencemen, we've got wingers and they need either or.

With the 2nd overall we have a stab at Hirschier or Nolan and either of those guys is exactly what we need. Ideally we get a more offensively talented, playmaking Hirschier which gives us a 1-2 punch similar to Henrik-Kesler and takes a lot of pressure off Horvat. A future 1A-1B scenario is what we need if we want any chance in the future playoffs and this is as good a chance as we'll ever get.

Otherwise draft a defenceman like Makar or Liljegren and trade a D-man we currently have for someone like Reinhart.

17 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

That pick from Arizona is the most get-able. They have Keller and Strome and Domi. They don't need another center. They'll be looking to trade down if it means they can nab some assets in the making and then just draft a winger or defenceman with the later pick

I'd seriously consider 5th overall + Virtanen for the 2nd overall or JB, throw them whatever they want. We've got defencemen, we've got wingers and they need either or.

With the 2nd overall we have a stab at Hirschier or Nolan and either of those guys is exactly what we need. Ideally we get a more offensively talented, playmaking Hirschier which gives us a 1-2 punch similar to Henrik-Kesler and takes a lot of pressure off Horvat. A future 1A-1B scenario is what we need if we want any chance in the future playoffs and this is as good a chance as we'll ever get.

Otherwise draft a defenceman like Makar or Liljegren and trade a D-man we currently have for someone like Reinhart.

Why would Arizona want JV? 

Archived