The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1-15 2017 NHL MOCK DRAFT KEN KANIFF EDITION

My 2017 NHL Mock Draft

1. New Jersey: C Nolan Patrick

-Devils don't pass up on the big skilled centerman. 

2. Philadelphia: C Nico Hischier 

-Hischer has some crazy Skillz. Could be the most skilled of the whole draft.

3. Dallas: D Miro Heiskanen

- Dallas doesn't really need a C with Seguin and Benn still being relatively young. Heiskanen is close to NHL ready.

4. Colorado: D Cale Makar

- Colorado desparatley need defense. Could be a gamble considering Makar plays in a lesser league.

5. Vancouver: C Gabriel Vilardi

-We get our #1C. Vilardi is a gritty skilled centerman. The knock on his is his skating. Get Bo Horvat's power skating trainer and problem solved. 

6. Las Vega: C Casey Mittlestadt

-Vegas selects a very skilled potential 1C. 

7. Arizona : D Timothy Liljegren

-Arizona has a good prospect pool. They could take a chance with potentially 1st pairing pp QB. 

8. Buffalo : RW Owen Tippett

- Buffalo gets a powerforward winger for Eichel. 

9. Detroit: C Martin Necas

-Detroit loves their Europeans. Necas is AHL eligible next season. 

10. Florida: C Cody Glass

-Florida has a very deep prospect pool. Glass can play behind Barkov in a few years as a reliable 2C.

11. Los Angeles: RW Elie Tolvanen

- LA needs help with scoring. Tolvanen is a prolific scorer.

12. Carolina: C Elias Pettersson

-Carolina doesnt need any more defensemen. Pettersson had a great year in Tomato with Dahlen.  

13. Winnipeg: C Lias Andersson

-Has  pro experience. Could step in with Winnipeg pretty soon.

14. Tampa Bay: C Michael Rasmussen

-Huge C. Poor 5v5 stats but has the tools and natural size that teams love.

15. New York Islanders: C Nick Suzuki

-45g scorer. Has 1C potential. Islanders need C prospect if Tavares decides to leave.

What do ya think?

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think av's have any interest in Makar, Barrie is exactly what Makar hopes to become,

So your saying Colorado will pass on the BPA? 

If they love the kid they will draft him. Barrie can fetch them a fortune if they wanna deal him... they almost did that last summer. 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think av's have any interest in Makar, Barrie is exactly what Makar hopes to become,

Could be..... if moving, or come to think of it not extending, Duchene is still in the cards then I think they go for Mittlestadt. 

Which leaves us with some tough choices.... skilled D is so important that I'd be really happy with Heiskanen or Liljegren but certainly wouldn't complain about Vilardi. 

I know everyone was pissed about dropping to 5 but I think we get a better player at 5 this year than Tkatchup. 

Just now, CHYCHRUN said:

So your saying Colorado will pass on the BPA? 

If they love the kid they will draft him. Barrie can fetch them a fortune if they wanna deal him... they almost did that last summer. 

You need to cool the jets on Makar, he's not BPA available at #4, the highest he's been ranked by top scouts is 5th.  Yes he's been impressive but not that impressive.  Last year he got more points in the RBC cup, as a rookie D, than i did, so I'll give him credit, but he's an extremely high risk, boom or bust type player that I can't see teams taking a risk on in with a top 5 pick.  

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Could be..... if moving, or come to think of it not extending, Duchene is still in the cards then I think they go for Mittlestadt. 

Which leaves us with some tough choices.... skilled D is so important that I'd be really happy with Heiskanen or Liljegren but certainly wouldn't complain about Vilardi. 

I know everyone was pissed about dropping to 5 but I think we get a better player at 5 this year than Tkatchup. 

I think they move duchene and help fill their left side.  that last report I was reading, they narrowed it down to Mittelstadt and Vilardi, but were leaning towards vilardi.

You need to cool the jets on Makar, he's not BPA available at #4, the highest he's been ranked by top scouts is 5th.  Yes he's been impressive but not that impressive.  Last year he got more points in the RBC cup, as a rookie D, than i did, so I'll give him credit, but he's an extremely high risk, boom or bust type player that I can't see teams taking a risk on in with a top 5 pick.  

Take a peak at last nights highlights. On the wcc website. Took 2 refs to get the puck out of the net.

Hes a rock star. He might even go at #3

7 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Take a peak at last nights highlights. On the wcc website. Took 2 refs to get the puck out of the net.

Hes a rock star. He might even go at #3

99% of those kids wont play in the AHL,  I would hope that a NHL talent could dominate the AJ 

Remember when you though Chychrun was going top 5?  How'd that turn out?

99% of those kids wont play in the AHL,  I would hope that a NHL talent could dominate the AJ 

Remember when you though Chychrun was going top 5?  How'd that turn out?

Chychrun was a steal for Arizona. I thought the canucks should trade down for him. He had a good 1st season in the nhl on a shyt team at an unheard of age of 18.

Chychrun is a beast, his skating is top grade and has a terrific shot. 

You cant say hes a bust.

And to be frank.... he wouldve been a steal at number 5. Wait and see

5 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Chychrun was a steal for Arizona. I thought the canucks should trade down for him. He had a good 1st season in the nhl on a shyt team at an unheard of age of 18.

Chychrun is a beast, his skating is top grade and has a terrific shot. 

You cant say hes a bust.

And to be frank.... he wouldve been a steal at number 5. Wait and see

You thought canucks should take him at 5... At no point you said canucks should trade down, considering you were convinced he was a top 5 pick.  Not even the Yotes were convinced he was a top 10 pick and that's why they didn't take him at 7....

He had an ok season, playing sheltered minutes.  The only reason he made the NHL at 18 is because he was playing on a crappy team with very little D depth.  He's far from a bust but he's far from the best player to come out of the draft like you claimed he was going to be...McAvoy taken at 14 was a steal...But I'll take Juolevi over Chychrun everyday of the week.

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You thought canucks should take him at 5... At no point you said canucks should trade down, considering you were convinced he was a top 5 pick.  Not even the Yotes were convinced he was a top 10 pick and that's why they didn't take him at 7....

He had an ok season, playing sheltered minutes.  The only reason he made the NHL at 18 is because he was playing on a crappy team with very little D depth.  He's far from a bust but he's far from the best player to come out of the draft like you claimed he was going to be...McAvoy taken at 14 was a steal...But I'll take Juolevi over Chychrun everyday of the week.

Never said that actually.

You think Juolevi a Finish d-man drafted at 180 lbs and still 180lbs was a better pick. Wasnt he supposed to go back to junior and rip it up this yr?  What happened?

I would way, way, way rather have the NHL player Chychrun. 100%

7 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Never said that actually.

Oh really?

On 5/3/2016 at 6:23 PM, CHYCHRUN said:

Believe me, you will look back on this draft class in a few years and wonder why he wasn't ranked 1st overall.

and

On 5/3/2016 at 6:36 PM, CHYCHRUN said:

I can't comment much on Austin cuz I haven't seen much of him but I watch a crap load of N/A junior hky and Chychrun is the best player in his class of eligible players.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oh really?

Yep... a bold statement. Maybe too bold but at 5, i still believe he was the best pick available.

Juolevi will be a 3rd d man... maybe 2 if he can gain weight... but Chych will be that next season with more size, speed and skill

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oh really?

and

Tell me something... when was the last d-man that entered the league at 18, draft yr, and was a no.1.

Chychrun had a solid yr 1.... Nobody can expect more from a yr 1 d-man at that age. If Juolevi had that season, you would be over the moon. Chych crushed guys and then finally had some pp time late in the season and he showed his shot from the point. Cant ask for more

Just now, CHYCHRUN said:

Tell me something... when was the last d-man that entered the league at 18, draft yr, and was a no.1 d-man.

Chychrun had a solid yr 1.... nobody can expect more from a yr 1 d-man at that age. If Juolevi had that season you would be over the moon. Chych crushed guys and then finally had some time late in the season and he showed his shot from the point. Cant ask for more

Hanifin, Ekblad, Bogosian, heck Luca Sbisa made the NHL as a 18 year old.  

First of all You keep stating that he made the coyotes roster was some sort of feat.  It's not, that team was garbage (even you admitted that), any of the top 5 D picked this year would have made that roster.  Chychrun didn't belong in the NHL, they rushed him and he missed 12 games to injury as a result.

Second chychrun wasn't a #1 D man this year, He was a #6 d man.  Only connauton (who only played 24 games) had a lower TOI/g on the yotes roster.

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hanifin, Ekblad, Bogosian, heck Luca Sbisa made the NHL as a 18 year old.  

First of all You keep stating that he made the coyotes roster was some sort of feat.  It's not, that team was garbage (even you admitted that), any of the top 5 D picked this year would have made that roster.  Chychrun didn't belong in the NHL, they rushed him and he missed 12 games to injury as a result.

Second chychrun wasn't a #1 D man this year, He was a #6 d man.  Only connauton (who only played 24 games) had a lower TOI/g on the yotes roster.

Wrong: Bogosian and Sbisa played less than half a season in there draft yr.

Hanifin and Ekblad bang on, which was my point.  Great players.

Chych started as a bang and protect no.6 but worked his way up to no.3 by seasons end with scd unit pp time.

We will see... but mark this one down. He will be better than juolevi

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think they move duchene and help fill their left side.  that last report I was reading, they narrowed it down to Mittelstadt and Vilardi, but were leaning towards vilardi.

sorry can't recall where you are on CM - after Vilardi would he be your next pick? I just don't know if he's got the body of work to be considered a top 6 C but all of this is a big gamble. I keep swinging back around to really shoring up our D. 

1 minute ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Wrong: Bogosian and Sbisa played less than half a season in there draft yr.

Hanifin and Ekblad bang on, which was my point.  Great players.

Chych started as a bang and protect no.6 but worked his way up to no.3 by seasons end with scd unit pp time.

We will see... but mark this one down. He will be better than juolevi

It doesn't matter how many games they player, Chyhcrun only player 68 games.  Guess it doesn't count since he didn't play a full season. Both Sbisa and Bogo played enough games to no longer be considered rookies in the NHL.   Bogosian put up 19 points in 47 games.  Chychrun put up 20 points in 68 games.  Bogosian had a way better 1st NHL season than Chychrun....  I will mark that down but sadly you will be long gone, you come on here to make you crazy draft claims and them bail for a year when they were wrong. 

Archived