The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign Lars Eller

18 hours ago, Provost said:

I would take Carlson at $7.5 over those guys at $10+

Really though the main point is that we need to start supplementing the roster through the best free agents you can find.  

You can’t rebuild forever, otherwise you just end up paying or overpaying guys as they come off their ELCs each year and never getting ahead.

We now have a good situation where we can legitimately say we will have 1-2 rookies per year coming into the lineup on cheap ELCs for the next 5 years (after this draft).

They may not all be top end players, but filling out the middle and bottom end of the roster at a low price, leaving cap space for some high priced help.

Yes.  YES you do overpay guys :P

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yes.  YES you do overpay guys :P

Maybe... but I would rather pay him 6x7.5 than 8x7.

If you don’t think he is going to get those kind of offers, I think you are kidding yourself.  He is just a notch behind the perennial Norris candidates and the cap is supposedly going up significantly giving lots of teams space to add.

He will be pretty much assured of getting north of $7 million.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Maybe... but I would rather pay him 6x7.5 than 8x7.

If you don’t think he is going to get those kind of offers, I think you are kidding yourself.  He is just a notch behind the perennial Norris candidates and the cap is supposedly going up significantly giving lots of teams space to add.

He will be pretty much assured of getting north of $7 million.

Oh man, I know he is.  I've been arguing with someone for a few weeks about this here at home.  

No way he's getting north of $5.5 million

Well ya man I agree he shouldn't but he's a perennial 40+ point RHD. 

Someone is going to wildly overpay him and someone is going to have SERIOUS buyers remorse within 2 seasons for it.  Much like Mike Green once he was outside of the Capitals near league leading offense year by year his point totals will dip and his defensive acumen by extension will suffer.

Archived