The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] STL acquires Nikita Soshnikov from TOR for a 2019 4th round pick

Adarsh Sant

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Clearly you're in the wrong forum.  Go camp in that place you adore, along with their magical late 4th round pick that isn't even for this draft, and be happy.

So you want to talk about the 2018 draft.

Leafs- 8 picks

Canucks - 6 picks

Embarrassing when you look at where the two teams are in the standings.

12 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Leafs at the top of the standings with one of the brightest futures in the league and still acquiring draft picks.

While we're a dumpster fire team and are thinking about resigning UFA's in Guddy and Vanek........

When the Leafs have some playoff success I will acknowledge your Leafs glee club. 

Just now, rekker said:

When the Leafs have some playoff success I will acknowledge your Leafs glee club. 

You won't have to wait any longer for that. They have the right people in place now and all the building blocks in place that aren't even in their prime right now.

They're loaded with draft picks and assets to make a move to improve their team as well.

I would kill to be in their position right now and hopefully, we're in a couple years down the line.

27 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Leafs at the top of the standings with one of the brightest futures in the league and still acquiring draft picks.

While we're a dumpster fire team and are thinking about resigning UFA's in Guddy and Vanek........

lol Guddy and Vanek in the same sentence. 

8 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

You won't have to wait any longer for that. They have the right people in place now and all the building blocks in place that aren't even in their prime right now.

They're loaded with draft picks and assets to make a move to improve their team as well.

I would kill to be in their position right now and hopefully, we're in a couple years down the line.

I need to see some proof their game will translate into post season success. They win a lot of games outscoring their issues. I read they gave up 26 shots from the slot last night. Pretty common for them. Their goalie has to stand on his head to protect them from their many defensive lapses. These arent generally ingredients for post season success. I agree I would like some of their assetts. They still have work to do in my opinion. Soon they will need to do it while manipulating up tight to the cap as well. Just not sold on them yet as a team that can beat the best teams in the NHL in a seven game series yet.

54 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

A 2nd and a 5th would make this less of a dumpster fire?

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

A 2nd and a 5th would make this less of a dumpster fire?

I'm expecting better returns than that yikes. More like late first and 3rd round pick.

Yes, even a fifth-round pick(Gaudette) can make this less of a dumpster fire.

Yes, even a second-round pick(Demko, Lind) can make this less of a dumpster fire.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Soshnikov has been a problem for them with them having excessive forwards and them not wanting to place him on waivers (see Leivo also). I'm surprised it has taken this long for them to finally get something done, but it's also probably the reason why they even got anything at all since they didn't waive him earlier and found loopholes to hang onto him as long as possible. They are not in a rebuild mode and trying to trade players for picks.

When Benning had a problem with the injuries to the roster, he brought in Dowd who has done what was expected of him. Benning does his job when it is called for just like TO did in this situation. Benning is waiting for the deadline when the market heats up. But I get it, you don't like Benning and will take any opportunity to try and trash him. Have you ever thought of joining the Vancouver media staff?

I`m actually a Benning supporter, happy he re-signed. He`s a very good drafter, but sometimes I question his (and Trev`s) decisions  (eg. Eriksson contract). I know what you`re saying about waiting for the market to heat up, that makes sense. I hope he makes the future of the team better at the TDL. 

1 hour ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

So you want to talk about the 2018 draft.

Leafs- 8 picks

Canucks - 6 picks

Embarrassing when you look at where the two teams are in the standings.

I didnt realize the deadline to accumulate picks is at midnight tonight, more gratify me now complaining im afraid....

3 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

I'm expecting better returns than that yikes. More like late first and 3rd round pick.

Yes, even a fifth-round pick(Gaudette) can make this less of a dumpster fire.

Yes, even a second-round pick(Demko, Lind) can make this less of a dumpster fire.

Can't force a team to take these guys unless you're willing to sell low.  You called the team a dumpster fire so why would a GM pay a high price for some of the fuel?

Gaudette, Lind, and Demko will make this less of a dumpster fire but not yet.  Most forwards hit their stride in the NHL, when 22/23?  Goalies and D a little later.  So what about until then?  Leave Horvat and Boeser completely out to dry and dress Megna and Chaput more?

To me a good franchise trades their vets when:

1)  You get a great offer

or

2)  There is a young player ready to take the spot of a vet.

It's been well documented how the Canucks, with trading away picks to make runs while their window was open (a chance worth taking imo) combined with atrociously bad drafting with the picks that remained, left the Canucks with no organizational depth.  With the players you mentioned, plus a handful more, that depth is finally being built (particularly up front).  Still need to be patient though.  Not saying Benning shouldn't trade either of them, but the value has to be high as there isn't anyone to replace them from within this year.

Just now, Wilbur said:

Can't force a team to take these guys unless you're willing to sell low.  You called the team a dumpster fire so why would a GM pay a high price for some of the fuel?

Gaudette, Lind, and Demko will make this less of a dumpster fire but not yet.  Most forwards hit their stride in the NHL, when 22/23?  Goalies and D a little later.  So what about until then?  Leave Horvat and Boeser completely out to dry and dress Megna and Chaput more?

To me a good franchise trades their vets when:

1)  You get a great offer

or

2)  There is a young player ready to take the spot of a vet.

It's been well documented how the Canucks, with trading away picks to make runs while their window was open (a chance worth taking imo) combined with atrociously bad drafting with the picks that remained, left the Canucks with no organizational depth.  With the players you mentioned, plus a handful more, that depth is finally being built (particularly up front).  Still need to be patient though.  Not saying Benning shouldn't trade either of them, but the value has to be high as there isn't anyone to replace them from within this year.

These are not our traditional vets though. That's the Sedins, Edler, and Sutter/Eriksson.

Vanek and Guddy are journeymen type vets and are UFA's that you try to get the most out of as rebuilding teams do at TDL's. Would look at moving Hutton, Baertschi, and other depth pieces for more picks as well.

Who cares about "replacing" them this year. You do realize there's like 20 more games left this season right? You could replace these depth players in FA in July.

This management has come out and said it's about drafting and development now, so I'm expecting picks to be coming in at the trade deadline if they are true to their word.

1 hour ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Somebody call the wambulence

9 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I didnt realize the deadline to accumulate picks is at midnight tonight, more gratify me now complaining im afraid....

I stated a fact, we have 6 picks while Toronto a team at the top of the standing has 8 picks.

11 days till TDL. We'll see what they do.

Just now, R.Dahlin26 said:

I stated a fact, we have 6 picks while Toronto a team at the top of the standing has 8 picks.

11 days till TDL. We'll see what they do.

You stated a fact followed by an opinion that it was embarrassing as if the time was up.  Sorry that you are not gratified yet.

9 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Somebody call the wambulence

Exactly. As if the laffs havent had a long dumpster fire period that helped them accumulate the assets to be where they are now.  Winning a franchise level player in the draft hasnt helped them at all.  Speaking of dumpsters

dumpster.JPG

2 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Yes, it is embarrassing and hopefully, that changes 11 days from now.

I think what is embarrassing is your constant implicit whining in almost every thread i visit.  Seriously dude, how old are you? 17? 22?

Just now, R.Dahlin26 said:

The only whining I see is coming from you. Don't get triggered from opinions that differ from yours.

lol, its whining....constant...whining....lets make a deal, put me on ignore, and ill put you on ignore.  If I want whining ill listen to my 14 year old kid.....lol

Archived