(Proposal) Van - Min

To Van:

Charlie Coyle ($3.2m)

Tyler Ennis ($4.6m)

To Min:

Sutter (50% retained, $2.2m)

Baer (rfa signed to ~$2.5m)

Why for Min?

1. Their Cup window is closing in next 2-3 years as age catches up with Koivu, Suter, Staal, Parise.

2. Upgrade Ennis with Baer (twice the offense, half the cost, better defense)

3. Clear over $3m cap space to splash in free agency and/or pay rise for Dumba who is RFA next season.

4. They lose Coyle but secure an elite shutdown & match up centre in Sutter. With this deal Min don’t lose any center depth.

Why for Van?

Charlie Coyle is our new 2C.

Tough enough to match against west coast teams. Experienced but young enough to be part of the new core.

Perfect center to play with the likes of Petterson, Dahlen, Lind on his wings. Eat the Ennis contract for 1 year. Big deal, no Sedins means plenty of cap space.

We also have plenty of 3/4C depth in Gagner, Granlund, Gaudette to lose Sutter.

Future F lineup:

Petterson Horvat Boeser

Dahlen Coyle Lind

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce Ericksson

Motte

The Wild just sent Montreal packing when they asked for Coyle in return of Pacioretty, who has 5 seasons of 30 goals and more.   Ennis would have been the cap dump.

Koivu has the same role as Sutter.  Every night he plays against each teams' best scoring lines.  Boudreau calls Koivu-Granlund his shutdown line and marvels how productive they are.  A bit less production this year as Koivu kept his role as the shutdown line but Granlund has played at times with Staal.

It's more likely that they buy out Ennis than move Coyle.  His buyout cost is less than Vanek's who is coming off their books.  They are expecting Kunin and Greenway to challenge for a spot next year. 

Dumba is not going to get more than Spurgeon who is the superior D and was older with UFA years being more expensive.  Zucker is not going to get more than Granlund who is considered their best player by Boudreau.  Spurgeon and Granlund earn a combined 11M.  

With the cap increase (projected at 80M) they should be fine even before a possible Ennis buyout.  Kunin, Greenway, and other depth players will be all under 1M each.  

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

To Van:

Charlie Coyle ($3.2m)

Tyler Ennis ($4.6m)

To Min:

Sutter (50% retained, $2.2m)

Baer (rfa signed to ~$2.5m)

Why for Min?

1. Their Cup window is closing in next 2-3 years as age catches up with Koivu, Suter, Staal, Parise.

2. Upgrade Ennis with Baer (twice the offense, half the cost, better defense)

3. Clear over $3m cap space to splash in free agency and/or pay rise for Dumba who is RFA next season.

4. They lose Coyle but secure an elite shutdown & match up centre in Sutter. With this deal Min don’t lose any center depth.

Why for Van?

Charlie Coyle is our new 2C.

Tough enough to match against west coast teams. Experienced but young enough to be part of the new core.

Perfect center to play with the likes of Petterson, Dahlen, Lind on his wings. Eat the Ennis contract for 1 year. Big deal, no Sedins means plenty of cap space.

We also have plenty of 3/4C depth in Gagner, Granlund, Gaudette to lose Sutter.

Future F lineup:

Petterson Horvat Boeser

Dahlen Coyle Lind

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce Ericksson

Motte

I like Coyle but I'm not sure he's the number 2C we want to be building our team around when we'll have a couple more years of high draft picks.

Not really interested in Coyle. I'd rather see Pettersson as our #1 center rather than wing, and Horvat (as much as I love him) may or may not be good enough to be our #1 center.  I'd rather not count on him to be such.  I'm also not certain Coyle has enough skill to be a #2 center, although he is close.

11 hours ago, mll said:

The Wild just sent Montreal packing when they asked for Coyle in return of Pacioretty, who has 5 seasons of 30 goals and more.   Ennis would have been the cap dump.

Koivu has the same role as Sutter.  Every night he plays against each teams' best scoring lines.  Boudreau calls Koivu-Granlund his shutdown line and marvels how productive they are.  A bit less production this year as Koivu kept his role as the shutdown line but Granlund has played at times with Staal.

It's more likely that they buy out Ennis than move Coyle.  His buyout cost is less than Vanek's who is coming off their books.  They are expecting Kunin and Greenway to challenge for a spot next year. 

Dumba is not going to get more than Spurgeon who is the superior D and was older with UFA years being more expensive.  Zucker is not going to get more than Granlund who is considered their best player by Boudreau.  Spurgeon and Granlund earn a combined 11M.  

With the cap increase (projected at 80M) they should be fine even before a possible Ennis buyout.  Kunin, Greenway, and other depth players will be all under 1M each.  

MIN may use Koivu as a match up line with offensive upside, but that doesn’t mean that Sutter has no value for them. Using Sutters line as a match up frees up all other lines to play against lesser opposition and take more Ozone starts.

Patch is on $4.5m per year. Min haven’t got the cap space to trade Coyle for Pacioretty. Also Patch will likely be looking for a further pay rise in one year.

Another reason for Min not taking Patch is that the loss of Coyle diminishes their depth at C. With Cullen likely retiring this season, it would leave them short with no cap space to replace Cullen with anyone decent.

The deal I proposed with Van is a much better deal for Min, it addresses multiple needs. Frees up cap, retains C depth, releases Ennis, brings in very good 3rd line scoring in Baer, brings in elite shutdown C in Sutter.

Why Coyle for VAN?

I would love to be 100% sure that Petterson will be a top 6 C in the NHL, but I don’t think that is a guarantee. He is playing wing right now.

This trade gets us a proven NHL performer in Coyle. It gives us three possible guys that could end up being a top 6 C with Horvat (Coyle, Petterson, Gaudette).

42 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

MIN may use Koivu as a match up line with offensive upside, but that doesn’t mean that Sutter has no value for them. Using Sutters line as a match up frees up all other lines to play against lesser opposition and take more Ozone starts.

Patch is on $4.5m per year. Min haven’t got the cap space to trade Coyle for Pacioretty. Also Patch will likely be looking for a further pay rise in one year.

Another reason for Min not taking Patch is that the loss of Coyle diminishes their depth at C. With Cullen likely retiring this season, it would leave them short with no cap space to replace Cullen with anyone decent.

The deal I proposed with Van is a much better deal for Min, it addresses multiple needs. Frees up cap, retains C depth, releases Ennis, brings in very good 3rd line scoring in Baer, brings in elite shutdown C in Sutter.

Why Coyle for VAN?

I would love to be 100% sure that Petterson will be a top 6 C in the NHL, but I don’t think that is a guarantee. He is playing wing right now.

This trade gets us a proven NHL performer in Coyle. It gives us three possible guys that could end up being a top 6 C with Horvat (Coyle, Petterson, Gaudette).

They can get a much better deal for Coyle if they ever decide to move him but it's not their plan.  They have no use for Sutter.  

Coyle + Ennis for Pacioretty would have worked cap wise.  Minnesota is also planning longer down the road.  They are not sure Eriksson Ek is a C.  Sutter is not an offensive C while Coyle can be one for them. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

They can get a much better deal for Coyle if they ever decide to move him but it's not their plan.  They have no use for Sutter.  

Coyle + Ennis for Pacioretty would have worked cap wise.  Minnesota is also planning longer down the road.  They are not sure Eriksson Ek is a C.  Sutter is not an offensive C while Coyle can be one for them. 

Montreal would not take on Coyle+Ennis for Pacioretty.

Archived