The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons for Canuck Slide

Rate this topic

JamesB

Reasons for poor performance  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, aGENT said:

For the near 50% of the board who are a bunch of panicky Pollyanna's...

Oh that would be fantastic! An All Star Game of chip and chase and sloppy changes. I'd pay money to see that!  Honestly, if TG took the leagues most elite players and made them look like a bunch of Junior B ballerinas than his goose would be cooked in Vancouver.  I sincerely hope he gets the invite.  I can hear the post game now...."They're a heavy team, we had some good looks, that's how hockey goes sometimes." 

Coach Greens special playbook   I

V

51X4LZQZmrL._AC_SY400_ML2_.jpg

On 12/19/2019 at 7:37 AM, Duodenum said:

A big part of the blame does fall on Benning.

Myers was considered an overpayment from day 1, a #5 dman in Winnipeg with poor underlying stats. I decided to give him a chance here but he's not come close to being worth 6 mill per so far. 

Myers is the main reason we've been able to rest Tanev a little bit more this year. Notice how he hasn't been injured? That's really allowed for Hughes to flourish as well, and we got him for $1+ million and 2 years less than any analyst predicted. I call that a win. I also quite like what he brings to the table.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:37 AM, Duodenum said:

Ferland was a big risk with his injury history. 

He is also a big reward guy if he can play in the playoffs like he did against us. Give it time, he has no salary cap penalty on the IR. 

Eriksson has been a bomb, 6 million in cap space wasted every year. 

This is fair, but so was everyone else in that free agency. 

Beagle is also overpaid for what he brings. 

I highly disagree with this. Top FO numbers, defensive forward, good penalty killer, cup winner and leader in the room for $3 mill? I'm good with that. 

That's 18.5 million in cap space for players that aren't living up to what they earn. 

Most of it also comes off the books in the next couple years. 

Another big part is either the system or the execution/make-up of the team. We are terrible in transition and through the neutral zone. We collapse in the d-zone and seem content letting the opposition cycle and maintain control of the puck both at even-strength and on the penalty kill. Effort levels are not consistent, back checks can be lazy at times and only a few players fore-check with any sort of purpose. 

I agree with this, but it's inconsistent more than anything. We've played games where we look like a team to beat, like the Vegas win, and we're looking good now. Sure we've played some bad games, but a young core and new captain will bring that. Give it time, and those good games will be more and more prevalent. 

That said, this slide isn't going to continue, they will start winning some games again. But as I said back in November, hope is fading for this team to make the playoffs. We are 4 points out but we would have to leap-frog 3 teams, most of whom look like better teams than the Canucks. 

Looks can be deceiving. We've had good teams that haven't made it because of injuries, as have other teams. There's also always unpredictable losing skids and other factors that go into it. We're second in the division with games in hand now, but are not firmly in or out of the playoffs. Anything can happen. 

On 12/18/2019 at 6:20 AM, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Did you just take that from the Babcock Dubas storyline? I mean I haven’t that once about out teams GM and coach? But that’s was the leafs Storyline the last two years

i do agree Benning is a bit out to lunch and green does a lot of things I don’t like but I don’t know if it’s then being off the same page? I just think he’s a rookie and Benning hasn’t been a genius. Not trying to be mean by the way maybe I’m oblivious to what you said and it is an issue 

That wasn't being mean, that was you just being clueless but whatever.

This is the most pathetic poll that I've seen in along time.

November, with our injuries was brutal but somehow we managed pulling off .500 hockey against the top half of the league and now it's a reasonable schedule from here on in and we're on a winning streak x 6.. 

Unless you haven't noticed, it's a huge thing to shut down opposing top scoring line when your team's leading shutdown guys are out of the line-up.

Sometimes I wonder why people just refuse to see the BIG picture, maybe one of these days....