The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 14, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

But how is replacing him with Gallant going to help? I understand that Gallant is a great coach. But as of right now canucks are ahead of Vegas in the standings. 

So if Gallant can’t get a superior roster like vegas to play up to their potential why do people assume he could make canucks play better than they are at the moment? 

The logic here just doesn’t make any sense. 

Knights have an older team and older teams switch coaches when they don't bring the best out of the players and right now I've seen Green making ahl mistakes or learning stuff he should have learned in the ahl if he stayed there longer....

I think Green has the right tools to be a good coach but he lacks in game experience and doesn't have the right people around him to balance that out. 

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why say we’re not underachieving?  We have a really good young core, who are supported by some quality veterans.  Plus we have top goalies.  Just because eastern media says we are a bubble team doesn’t make it so. To me we are definitely underachieving.  Our goal should be higher than just being a bubble team.  

Yes I say we're not underachieving.  From being a lotto team, to just making the playoffs is how I view the team.  I don't have outrageous beliefs in thinking that this team is a cup contender at this point.  The team goal is to make the playoffs.  Even JB says the goal for this team this year is to play meaningful games late into the season, and to hopefully make the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Yes I say we're not underachieving.  From being a lotto team, to just making the playoffs is how I view the team.  I don't have outrageous beliefs in thinking that this team is a cup contender at this point.  The team goal is to make the playoffs.  Even JB says the goal for this team this year is to play meaningful games late into the season, and to hopefully make the playoffs.

I heard JB say that stuff too.  I disagree with him though.  Making the Miller trade (the first thing) tells me JB thinks (regardless of what he says) we are a lot better than he’s letting on.  Does a GM give up his first if he believes his team is not competitive?  We are past rebuilding as evidenced by the Miller trade.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Knights have an older team and older teams switch coaches when they don't bring the best out of the players and right now I've seen Green making ahl mistakes or learning stuff he should have learned in the ahl if he stayed there longer....

I think Green has the right tools to be a good coach but he lacks in game experience and doesn't have the right people around him to balance that out. 

What makes you think that Gallant can do things with a younger team?  The canucks have a better GF/G, PP, PK and FO % than Vegas.  Vegas has a superior roster to the canucks so really, who is doing a better coaching job this season?  Isn't it the coaches job to motivate the players?  It looks to me that Green still has the team working hard after 3 years.  Gallant really hasn't done anything since the inaugural Vegas season.  They were suppose to be alot better last year and failed to reach expectations.  This year with a full year of Stone they were suppose to be the runaway leaders in the Pacific division and here they are with the same amount of points as the Canucks with 2 more games played.  I prefer Green to Gallant at this point in time.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I heard JB say that stuff too.  I disagree with him though.  Making the Miller trade (the first thing) tells me JB thinks (regardless of what he says) we are a lot better than he’s letting on.  Does a GM give up his first if he believes his team is not competitive?  We are past rebuilding as evidenced by the Miller trade.  

That trade made the team more competitive to compete for the playoffs hence they gave themselves a 2 year window to make the playoffs.  Either this year or next.  The trade doesn't imply that we're stanley cup contenders.

What makes you think that Gallant can do things with a younger team?  The canucks have a better GF/G, PP, PK and FO % than Vegas.  Vegas has a superior roster to the canucks so really, who is doing a better coaching job this season?  Isn't it the coaches job to motivate the players?  It looks to me that Green still has the team working hard after 3 years.  Gallant really hasn't done anything since the inaugural Vegas season.  They were suppose to be alot better last year and failed to reach expectations.  This year with a full year of Stone they were suppose to be the runaway leaders in the Pacific division and here they are with the same amount of points as the Canucks with 2 more games played.  I prefer Green to Gallant at this point in time.

Is the Vegas roster actually superior?  I don’t think they are.  I think we have the best roster in our division, and we aren’t playing like it. 

• Cheers 1

That trade made the team more competitive to compete for the playoffs hence they gave themselves a 2 year window to make the playoffs.  Either this year or next.  The trade doesn't imply that we're stanley cup contenders.

What GM, while rebuilding, trades a first?  Miller is a very good player, but he’s in a support role.  That trade indicates JB believes we are past rebuilding.  I agree with him.  We have a great young core.  We are not doing as well as we should be.  Much like Miller, Myers, etc, made us better Gallant would make us better too.  

Is the Vegas roster actually superior?  I don’t think they are.  I think we have the best roster in our division, and we aren’t playing like it. 

I believe they have the better roster at this time.  We will definitely have the better roster when our younger players gain more experience.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What GM, while rebuilding, trades a first?  Miller is a very good player, but he’s in a support role.  That trade indicates JB believes we are past rebuilding.  I agree with him.  We have a great young core.  We are not doing as well as we should be.  Much like Miller, Myers, etc, made us better Gallant would make us better too.  

A GM that says we're not rebuilding anymore?  Hence why they're trying to make the playoffs.

The reason I say that is cause I've watched the d system and special teams go hot and cold. Some games they work and others they don't....

also no one knew the impact of Hughes and the other ufa's and Miller. 

We are winnng more games this year cause our overall talent level has went up not because coaching....

now let me say this again I think green has the tools to be a good coach but lacks experience and what does he do he surrounds himself with a green coaching staff....do you see the point im making now?

greens saving grace is his a players coach and he has shown his skills at devolving talent like Jake but that's what you want from an ahl coach not an NHL. 

The nhl isn't where you should develop your talent the ahl is. Same goes for coaches. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf I agre but I would say the Canucks have more raw talent and skill then them. They got no one close to petey or Hughes 

• Like 1

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

The reason I say that is cause I've watched the d system and special teams go hot and cold. Some games they work and others they don't....

also no one knew the impact of Hughes and the other ufa's and Miller. 

We are winnng more games this year cause our overall talent level has went up not because coaching....

now let me say this again I think green has the tools to be a good coach but lacks experience and what does he do he surrounds himself with a green coaching staff....do you see the point im making now?

greens saving grace is his a players coach and he has shown his skills at devolving talent like Jake but that's what you want from an ahl coach not an NHL. 

The nhl isn't where you should develop your talent the ahl is. Same goes for coaches. 

Every team has hot and cold streaks.  No team plays 100% for every game.  Every team has off nights, and nights they're on fire.  And if you believe your last line of where you should develop your talent in the AHL, then Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes should've all started in the AHL.

You're saying Green is a bad coach because he surrounds himself with a rookie coach.  I don't hear anybody complaining about Malhotra.  He's a "green" coach.  You keep saying that Green lacks experience.  How do you think he's gonna get NHL experience coaching if he's not in the league? 

5 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Alf I agre but I would say the Canucks have more raw talent and skill then them. They got no one close to petey or Hughes 

The Canucks have more "potential" for sure.  Vegas players have already proven that they've done it before.

Just now, Viper007 said:

The Canucks have more "potential" for sure.  Vegas players have already proven that they've done it before.

Vegas was picked by many pundits to be bad.  Their team is chalk full of other teams not wanted players.  That’s why Gallant won the Adams.  We have more elite talent, and are not winning as much as we should.  Gallant has won way more than he lost, unlike Green 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Vegas was picked by many pundits to be bad.  Their team is chalk full of other teams not wanted players.  That’s why Gallant won the Adams.  We have more elite talent, and are not winning as much as we should.  Gallant has won way more than he lost, unlike Green 

Need proof on this one Alf.  I've seen most say they would win the division.

Every team has hot and cold streaks.  No team plays 100% for every game.  Every team has off nights, and nights they're on fire.  And if you believe your last line of where you should develop your talent in the AHL, then Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes should've all started in the AHL.

You're saying Green is a bad coach because he surrounds himself with a rookie coach.  I don't hear anybody complaining about Malhotra.  He's a "green" coach.  You keep saying that Green lacks experience.  How do you think he's gonna get NHL experience coaching if he's not in the league? 

We have all seen the d system not work! And the Special teams not work and they don't change them during the game very often green has gotten better. 

If you can't see the need for experience on this coaching staff then I wish I had your faith in green. 

Hughes and them didn't need ahl time Green does! 

thats where you learn to shorten your bench and which d system will work with the system you want to coach....same goes for the special teams. 

Thats where you test out new things until you perfect your craft....

Or you surround your self with people that make up for your weakness. 

Manny might he new at coaching but he knows how to win a draw with the best of them....he has the experience to back it up...

I can't explain it any easier then that......

Just now, Viper007 said:

Need proof on this one Alf.  I've seen most say they would win the division.

In Gallant’s first year there many thought they were going to be bad.  Now, after the team’s early success, pundits thought the team was better than its roster indicates.  Gallant led that team to where it’s roster indicated no way it should be.  He IMO would get us more wins, and have our players doing their very best. 

“There are two schools of thought when compiling an expansion team. One is to go get the very best players available, believing that the best way to build a foundation for a team and a fanbase is to be as competitive as you can and give fans a reason to get and stay invested. Another is to be as awful as you possibly can. The Vegas Golden Knights correctly subscribe to the latter.”

https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-knights-are-going-to-be-bad-1796327043

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

In Gallant’s first year there many thought they were going to be bad.  Now, after the team’s early success, pundits thought the team was better than its roster indicates.  Gallant led that team to where it’s roster indicated no way it should be.  He IMO would get us more wins, and have our players doing their very best. 

“There are two schools of thought when compiling an expansion team. One is to go get the very best players available, believing that the best way to build a foundation for a team and a fanbase is to be as competitive as you can and give fans a reason to get and stay invested. Another is to be as awful as you possibly can. The Vegas Golden Knights correctly subscribe to the latter.”

https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-knights-are-going-to-be-bad-1796327043

We're talking about this year Alf not the inaugural season.

Just now, Viper007 said:

We're talking about this year Alf not the inaugural season.

To me those years are blended together.  Gallant made a team that was predicted to be terrible good.  They really don’t have our elite skill.  We should be doing better, and Gallant would do that.  IMO.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

If you look at the Knights they have a good deep team but don't have guys that take over the game like petey or Hughes and even Brock at times. 

They win and lose as a team  and us well ive see us win thx to petey and other players stepping up and helping us steal a game. 

Very rarely have I seen a great whole team game.....I have a few times but it's our game breakers doing the work