The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

My mistake. Still what is he 4 - 0 so far or something like that?

Either way. MMA isn't a useful fighting style.

Something like that, I don't really care because he's a one-dimensional thug who beats up wash-ups.

MMA isn't a fighting style... It's a combination of different martial arts...hence the name Mixed Martial Arts. It's not like they're all mediocre at these different martial arts. Some of the guys in the UFC have MULTIPLE black belts.

Your ignorance is making me rage, congrats, lol.

Something like that, I don't really care because he's a one-dimensional thug who beats up wash-ups.

MMA isn't a fighting style... It's a combination of different martial arts...hence the name Mixed Martial Arts. It's not like they're all mediocre at these different martial arts. Some of the guys in the UFC have MULTIPLE black belts.

Your ignorance is making me rage, congrats, lol.

Oh I've watched UFC. And I've also watched other martial arts. UFC is a joke compared to serious martial arts.

If Kimbo Slice is so one-dimensional why is he kicking so much MMA donkey? Because it's a one-dimensional sports.

Oh I've watched UFC. And I've also watched other martial arts. UFC is a joke compared to serious martial arts.

If Kimbo Slice is so one-dimensional why is he kicking so much MMA donkey? Because it's a one-dimensional sports.

How is the UFC a joke compared to other martial arts? In what way?

As for Kimbo, do you know anything about the three guys he's beaten? Look it up. Two of the wins were against out of shape wash-ups and his latest fight he barely won.

Comparing Kimbo to UFC fighters is like comparing a player from the Burnaby Express to a player on the Vancouver Canucks.

How is the UFC a joke compared to other martial arts? In what way?

As for Kimbo, do you know anything about the three guys he's beaten? Look it up. Two of the wins were against out of shape wash-ups and his latest fight he barely won.

Comparing Kimbo to UFC fighters is like comparing a player from the Burnaby Express to a player on the Vancouver Canucks.

Because UFC consists of throwing a few punches, a few fairly basic grapples on the ground, thats really it. There is really no finesse or skill required.

Because UFC consists of throwing a few punches, a few fairly basic grapples on the ground, thats really it. There is really no finesse or skill required.

Wow, I thought you'd have a decent argument, but you're just an idiot trying (very poorly) to argue for the sake of arguing.

Here's some reading material, my two favorite fighters:

Anderson Silva, Middleweight Champ: (Best pound for pound fighter in the world) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva

George St.Pierre:Welterweight Champ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_st._pierre

Well I'm going to sleep, at least do some research before pretending to know what you're talking about.

Edited by FinFan

Nobody here is gonna take you seriously when you say you need no skill to be a UFC fighter.

Also, your knowledge is amazing. You're going off about how Kimbo is kicking so much donkey in THE UFC (wtf?) and how that proves how the UFC is a complete joke compared to real martial arts. Kimbo Slice is 3-0, also NOT IN THE UFC, and probably never will be. He's beaten some nobody named Bo Cantrell, a beyond washed-up and fatass Tank Abbott, and a guy who had lost six of his previous eight fights, James Thompson. You couldn't have picked a worse example of an MMA fighter than Kimbo to prove your "theory". Especially since he fights in that bush league Elite XC.

Again, what do you consider "real" martial arts?? You never did answer that question.

we don't see that though we just see street fighter vs street fighter both with some martial arts training

UFC has been hyped and marketed to the point that we forget what a real Martial Arts is capable of.

Problem is that quite a few real martial arts are useless in a real fight. People have tried it, they got beat up pretty bad. Those karate chops and chest punches have no power. MMA pretty much destroyed the hollywood perception of what actually happens in a fight.

Watch the early UFCs. All these karate masters came in and they got absolutely tooled by Royce Graice and others.

It seems that boxing is superior standing, wrestling to take it to the ground, brazilian jiu-jitsu is the best ground martial art. Judo and Sambo seem to be pretty good too.

People who try to be pure karate or kung fu and stuff get beat up real bad.

Therre are fighters such as BJ Penn and Georges St Pierre that show finesse. Problem is that real fighting isnt pretty like hollywood. You see some boxing, some wrestling and then a ground war. Theres all these moves, kimura, armbar, rear naked choke etc.

That Kimbo Slice fight wasnt real MMA. Hes only been doing it for a year or less. His opponent is also below average. It was just hyped up because EliteXC got a tv deal with CBS. Plus that huge ear by Thompson :blink: He looked like Quasimodo hunchback of notre dame with that one huge ear. No clue why he didnt drain it. Its basically a target that says "hit me here!" like a video game.

EliteXC is like CFL while UFC is like NFL talent wise.

Edited by Pfizer

Nobody here is gonna take you seriously when you say you need no skill to be a UFC fighter.

Also, your knowledge is amazing. You're going off about how Kimbo is kicking so much donkey in THE UFC (wtf?) and how that proves how the UFC is a complete joke compared to real martial arts. Kimbo Slice is 3-0, also NOT IN THE UFC, and probably never will be. He's beaten some nobody named Bo Cantrell, a beyond washed-up and fatass Tank Abbott, and a guy who had lost six of his previous eight fights, James Thompson. You couldn't have picked a worse example of an MMA fighter than Kimbo to prove your "theory". Especially since he fights in that bush league Elite XC.

Again, what do you consider "real" martial arts?? You never did answer that question.

Any other martial art basically. MMA shouldn't even be considered a martial art.

Hell you could probably throw Bob Probert or Georges Laraque on there and they'd probably kick donkey because MMA fighters are just plugs.

You can throw all the figures you want at me, but I've watched UFC. They're plugs. Not real martial artists.

Any other martial art basically. MMA shouldn't even be considered a martial art.

Hell you could probably throw Bob Probert or Georges Laraque on there and they'd probably kick donkey because MMA fighters are just plugs.

You can throw all the figures you want at me, but I've watched UFC. They're plugs. Not real martial artists.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=234438

From what Georges Laraque has seen, he thinks he would get his donkey beat.

The growth of the UFC has earned the sport many fans in dressing rooms around the league. It's also earned MMA fighters a lot of respect from NHLers.

''Even the worst UFC fighter that there is would beat me because of their training,''said Pittsburgh Penguins enforcer Georges Laraque. ''It's so much harder than anything I've ever seen.

The hockey players might be good on their feet, but the opponent would throw them to the ground and go for a submission and end it. The hockey fighters would probably get choked out.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=234438

From what Georges Laraque has seen, he thinks he would get his donkey beat.

The hockey players might be good on their feet, but the opponent would throw them to the ground and go for a submission and end it. The hockey fighters would probably get choked out.

All right fine!

I just don't like UFC. There. That's it.

Well, I'll just jump in and add this to the "argument."

Unless they're in movies or have a chain of schools, I don't believe the various masters of the individual martial arts disciplines are making a whole lot of money. Therefore, if a particular black belt holder (of whichever martial art you prefer) was, in fact, a more effective fighter, one-on-one in a confined ring, he could try out for UFC, win lots of matches and a championship, and get rich.

The fact that you don't see people doing that is, to me, a pretty good indication that employing one specific fighting technique in a real fighting situation is a detriment, not an asset.

Yes, martial arts can be beautiful and impressive to behold, but UFC isn't graded on style. It's graded on who wins the fight.

Hahah, good show. You admit defeat.

Well there's a lot I don't know about UFC, and it's clear I was just spouting about something I didn't like, yet didn't know anything about.

So there. I admit I was being a bit ignorant.

I have been apart of military martial arts for 3 and a half years. and believe me I have seen many MMA wannabees get cracked open. its run on emotion and rage and it is designed for a ring.

MMA would never last on the street with multiple opponets while ypu have one guy in a guillotine the otherguys are kicking your head in. its very impractical. canada has the greatest un armed combat system in the world but instead you guys go american and stick to the very impractical MMA which is why soldiers over there are getting ripped apart by insugents who have no concept of a ring sport.

I enjoy MMA purely as a sport they are hardend athletes and are very good at what they do but dont call MMA a fighting style because it doesnt last 10 seconds out in the street.

Edited by I_believe_in#19

I have been apart of military martial arts for 3 and a half years. and believe me I have seen many MMA wannabees get cracked open. its run on emotion and rage and it is designed for a ring.

MMA would never last on the street with multiple opponets while ypu have one guy in a guillotine the otherguys are kicking your head in. its very impractical. canada has the greatest un armed combat system in the world but instead you guys go american and stick to the very impractical MMA which is why soldiers over there are getting ripped apart by insugents who have no concept of a ring sport.

I enjoy MMA purely as a sport they are hardend athletes and are very good at what they do but dont call MMA a fighting style because it doesnt last 10 seconds out in the street.

HA

At least there was SOME truth to my ignorant rant.