The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

sorry if this is already confirmed and im just an idiot but is the ufc her next july 1st? and something like 2 events 1 at casion 1 at gm place? also i was informed that it was all canadian bouts and gsp would fight.

can anyone confrim this please :)

my souce is the bankteller at scotiabank.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/coming+Va...7378/story.html

UFC coming to Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal: Dana White

Outspoken president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship Dana White told the world something that he'd been telling The Sun for some time Thursday when he announced that the UFC would hold major mixed martial arts events in three Canadian cities in 2010.

The fact that two of the announced cities - Vancouver and Toronto - don't have regulatory bodies in place to handle such events, doesn't seem to be something that will stop the largest promoter of the world's fastest growing sport.

"We're coming," White told reporters earlier this week. "The UFC will be in Canada in 2010. We're coming to Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal."

The UFC is enjoying unprecedented growth and interest in Canada right now, with 16% of ticket sales for last month's UFC 100 event in Las Vegas coming from BC and Alberta alone. TV ratings and pay-per-view subscriptions in Canada are regularly touted by the organization as being the strongest in North America, and the city of Montreal, which has already hosted two UFC events and will host another next year, is the hub of a thriving local industry in the sport.

"We're softening up a lot of the provinces up there," White said at a press conference promoting UFC 101 in Philadelphia. "We're definitely going to Vancouver."

UFC officials told The Sun last month that June 2010 has been circled for a pay-per-view event at GM Place.

"Canada's been really difficult to navigate in," co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told fans at the UFC Fan Expo last month. "It's an interesting situation because I think, pound for pound, the UFC is more popular in Canada than any other country including the U.S.A. I mean, it's amazing."

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson has stated the city is behind the UFC bid to come to the northwest, but remains committed to convincing either national or provincial government to step up to regulate such an event, and others like it.

"We're hopeful we can resolve all this and host an event in 2010, but we still got some work to do," Robertson said to reporters recently.

Failing that, the mayor suggested a UFC event could be run as a 'test event' under the auspices of the Vancouver Athletic Commission, which oversaw the sport previously until Sam Sullivan's NPA-led council got cold feet on the topic of liability.

Councilors David Cadman and Ellen Woodsworth remain against the regulation of mixed martial arts, with Cadman recently complaining about the cost of policing such an event.

"I personally don't feel that the residents of Vancouver want to pay taxes to police this kind of event," Cadman told the CBC.

But those dissenting voices look destined to be drowned out. Councilor Heather Deal told The Sun earlier this year, "Within any group, there’s a spectrum of opinions, but the mayor has been quite decisive on this. There’s a difference between having an opinion and making appropriate policy decisions. Sometimes you vote for things you don’t personally want because a majority clearly think differently."

“We’re fairly united on this."

Sounds good to me.

Scotia Bank teller knows best ;)

So Carwin/Velasquez is apparently off no for 104 and they've decided to make Lesnar vs Carwin for the main event at UFC 106 November 21 in Vegas. Not too pleased about this. Really felt Cain was desrving of a #1 contender spot as much as Carwin was.

So Carwin/Velasquez is apparently off no for 104 and they've decided to make Lesnar vs Carwin for the main event at UFC 106 November 21 in Vegas. Not too pleased about this. Really felt Cain was desrving of a #1 contender spot as much as Carwin was.

I think the logic here is that you preserve two contenders this way as opposed to eliminating one as a "true" contender. Instead of a number one contender fight and a title fight, you get two title fights /shrug.

With original opponent Shane Carwin receiving a recent upgrade to title-bout status, heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez (6-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) will now face Ben Rothwell (30-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 104.

Featuring a light heavyweight title fight between current champion Lyoto Machida and challenger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, UFC 104 takes place Oct. 24 in Los Angeles.

The undefeated Velasquez has earned four-straight wins in the UFC, including an impressive performance in June in a one-sided unanimous-decision win over Cheick Kongo. The UFC 99 bout was the first time the American Kickboxing trained fighter has been forced to a decision, having earned his previous five wins by TKO.

An eight-year veteran of the sport, Rothwell was slated to fight Chase Gormley at the recently canceled "Affliction: Trilogy" event. The 27-year-old has won 14 of his past 15 bouts, including two wins over UFC light heavyweight Krzysztof Soszynski, as well as wins over notables Ricco Rodriguez, Travis Fulton and Roy Nelson.

Velasquez was originally expected to met Carwin in the evening's co-main event. That fight was scratched in favor of Carwin taking on heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 106 in November.

Source

Rothwell got tooled by Arlovski at Affliction: Banned. I expect Cain to do the same.

I'm over it. Time to start the Carwin/Lesnar hype I guess. Especially since it's gonna be in Vegas Nov 21.

ANYBODY HERE wanna go? Honestly. If so, lemme know cause I can get presale tickets when they do eventually go onsale. Up to six. I tell yah, there's nothing like going down to Vegas for the weekend and seeing a live UFC event. I can even help ya find a cheap trip!

I have no problem with the schedule change. The Carwin/Lesnar fight is destiny. Might as well do it sooner, rather than later. If Velasquez is good enough, he'll beat Rothwell and be right back in the title fight picture. As per the Carwin/Lesnar fight: Lesnar wins 8 times out of 10. Carwin only has a puncher's chance. A chance is a chance in MMA, of course, but Lesnar's going to pound him out rather easily. Lesnar's getting better and better with each fight. I mean, he just MASHED Mir, like some boiled potatoes. And Mir is a decent fighter! There are guys out there who can beat him, but Carwin isn't one of them.

I have no problem with the schedule change. The Carwin/Lesnar fight is destiny. Might as well do it sooner, rather than later. If Velasquez is good enough, he'll beat Rothwell and be right back in the title fight picture. As per the Carwin/Lesnar fight: Lesnar wins 8 times out of 10. Carwin only has a puncher's chance. A chance is a chance in MMA, of course, but Lesnar's going to pound him out rather easily. Lesnar's getting better and better with each fight. I mean, he just MASHED Mir, like some boiled potatoes. And Mir is a decent fighter! There are guys out there who can beat him, but Carwin isn't one of them.

Mark my words, Carwin TKO Round 1.

I just found a really good Torrent from TPB. All of GSP's MMA fights ending with Fitch. So everything post-Fitch isn't on there, but it has his fights in UCC and TKO. VERY good battles. His 1st fight vs Ivan Menjivar, he won controversially but still looked REALLY good for his first pro MMA fight. His fight in TKO against Pete Spratt was AMAAZING. His BJJ looked so polished. After watching his first 6 pro fights I've gained a LOT more respect for this guy. And I'm a huge fan to begin with.

If anybody is interested and has Bittorrent or another torrent site, PM me. I'd be happy to give the link.

As for Kimbo... ugh... when do we get to stop hearing his name? I know lots of bar-room brawlers who could knock his donkey out... I don't respect the guy. Sure he could kick my donkey, that's not even an argument, I just think he belongs on Youtube... not the UFC.