The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Where did you hear this? Do you have a link? If true that just shows what a great fighter GSP is. Always wanting to fight the best. That would be one tough challenge though. I wonder what weight GSP and Silva both normally walk around at? Anyone know?

i heard the same thing... gsp moving up to fight silva, silva would win

GSP walks around at 183.. Silva walks around at about 220

I heard a radio interview with GSP and he said that if he were to fight Silva he would have to definitely put at least 10 more pounds of muscle on

if it you look at it objectively, Silva is a great fighter, but hes larger than anyone he fights in his division, and more often then not the person stands and strikes with him like an idiot.. Silva is NOT a very good wrestler and has shown that he can be smashed up pretty bad on the ground...

If GSP put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and were to fight Silva i would bet on GSP just because he would be smart enough to know that he would have to beat Silva the same way he beat Serra: using his (probably best in the entire ufc) wrestling skills and edging out a ground and pound win.

As much as I like GSP, I would have to put my money on Silva. I think Silva would would be able to land some serious strikes on George, and I don't think GSP has the greatest chin.

As much as I like GSP, I would have to put my money on Silva. I think Silva would would be able to land some serious strikes on George, and I don't think GSP has the greatest chin.

I think thats actually the reason GSP would win.. you can tell he has been questioning his own chin since the matt serra fight.. if that fight never happened i might think differently.. but it seems like GSP now knows that he cant completely dominate everyone standing.. so i think his game plan against Silva would be to use his speed and quality footwork to evade damage on the feet and set up some take-downs and dominate on the ground..

i dont think GSP has any chance in steamrolling Silva, but if he fought smart and used his superior wrestling skills, theres a good chance he would be able to eek out a decision win or possibly stop Silva on the ground..

GSP walks around at 183.. Silva walks around at about 220

I heard a radio interview with GSP and he said that if he were to fight Silva he would have to definitely put at least 10 more pounds of muscle on

if it you look at it objectively, Silva is a great fighter, but hes larger than anyone he fights in his division, and more often then not the person stands and strikes with him like an idiot.. Silva is NOT a very good wrestler and has shown that he can be smashed up pretty bad on the ground...

If GSP put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and were to fight Silva i would bet on GSP just because he would be smart enough to know that he would have to beat Silva the same way he beat Serra: using his (probably best in the entire ufc) wrestling skills and edging out a ground and pound win.

Please refer me to the fights where Silva was smashed up badly on the ground. Surely you're not referring to the Lutter or Henderson fights. Silva contained all but 2 of Lutter's strikes when he was mounted briefly, and still took little to no damage. Henderson had zero leverage to land anything substantial, and no, those peppering hammer fists don't count. I'll grant you that Silva's takedown defense is a little suspect, but his Jiu Jitsu has been proven time and time again. I do think GSP could possibly control Silva on the ground, but it would be a lay and pray win. Silva is sure to land something, and that's all that it would take to rock GSP's glass chin.

GSP moving up to fight Silva is like Silva moving up to fight Lesnar....

I'd like to see both happen, but I'm just dreaming.

Any word on who Brock's next victim will be?

I'm sure Dana White will fast track Brock to a title shot ASAP. Brock might have to face someone like Werdum first. If Brock were to fight Minotauro, he'd be submitted very quickly, and Brock aint knocking out Nog anytime soon.

Please refer me to the fights where Silva was smashed up badly on the ground. Surely you're not referring to the Lutter or Henderson fights. Silva contained all but 2 of Lutter's strikes when he was mounted briefly, and still took little to no damage. Henderson had zero leverage to land anything substantial, and no, those peppering hammer fists don't count. I'll grant you that Silva's takedown defense is a little suspect, but his Jiu Jitsu has been proven time and time again. I do think GSP could possibly control Silva on the ground, but it would be a lay and pray win. Silva is sure to land something, and that's all that it would take to rock GSP's glass chin.

like i said, i dont think he would streamroll anderson.. i just think theres the possibility of eeking out a decision win or somehow stopping him on the ground due to his ability to take down his opponents with relative ease, coupled with Silva's weak take-down defense..

i'm not saying its guaranteed, i'm just saying i think if GSP were to win, thats how he would win.. and i think he would be smart enough to realize that..

and Silva's jiu jitsu is not as good as everyone thinks it is.. everyone says he has world class jiu jitsu, fact is - he doesnt.. its very good.. but its not world class and he can be controlled on the ground..

all that being said, i think it seems like i'm discrediting Silva.. thats not true, i know hes a bad dude and hes one of the best fighters in the world right now.. i'm just a little annoyed about people thinking hes unstoppable when he does have some weaknesses and there are potential ways to beat him.

and even though it doesnt seem like it, im a Silva fan, i like the way he fights, and i like how much respect he shows in the cage, i just get annoyed when people hype up people to be unstoppable, when no one really is..

final note: i think glass chin is a little strong.. if anyone gets hit on the button they are goin down.. having a rock solid chin might be the one physical gift he wasn't blessed with, but i dont think he has a weak chin.. if he did, i think he would of racked up more than 2 losses by now..

like i said, i dont think he would streamroll anderson.. i just think theres the possibility of eeking out a decision win or somehow stopping him on the ground due to his ability to take down his opponents with relative ease, coupled with Silva's weak take-down defense..

i'm not saying its guaranteed, i'm just saying i think if GSP were to win, thats how he would win.. and i think he would be smart enough to realize that..

and Silva's jiu jitsu is not as good as everyone thinks it is.. everyone says he has world class jiu jitsu, fact is - he doesnt.. its very good.. but its not world class and he can be controlled on the ground..

all that being said, i think it seems like i'm discrediting Silva.. thats not true, i know hes a bad dude and hes one of the best fighters in the world right now.. i'm just a little annoyed about people thinking hes unstoppable when he does have some weaknesses and there are potential ways to beat him.

and even though it doesnt seem like it, im a Silva fan, i like the way he fights, and i like how much respect he shows in the cage, i just get annoyed when people hype up people to be unstoppable, when no one really is..

final note: i think glass chin is a little strong.. if anyone gets hit on the button they are goin down.. having a rock solid chin might be the one physical gift he wasn't blessed with, but i dont think he has a weak chin.. if he did, i think he would of racked up more than 2 losses by now..

Anythins is possible in MMA. So ya, GSP could win, but not likely. I think you are right though, and if he were to win it would be how you describe. And Silva is unstoppable right now, in his division. Much like it appears GSP is in his division.

Brock Lesnar does look like a beast. But the one who I've been most impressed with in the HW division lately is Cain Velasquez. This guy could be the next real deal in that division IMO. 2 and 0, both wins by TKO-ing the shize outta Brad Morris and Jake O'Brien.

After watching the end of the event last night again, it made me hate BJ Penn that much more. And someone mentioned earlier that he doesn't deserve a shot at GSP. I couldn't agree MORE!! Just because he has this little vendetta, like some "score to settle" with GSP, doesn't mean he deserves it. But of course, in Dana's eyes, you know it'll be a gold mine.

KenFlo deserves a shot at BJ waaaaaaaaaay before that pineapple deserves GSP.

His lack of wrestling skills were clearly demonstrated during his days in Pride. He had shorter opponents take him to the ground and simply out work him. Hell if Lutter wasn't such a wind sucker he might have won that fight, and if Henderson hadn't slipped up in the second round he could have easily layd'N'prayed his way to a win that night.

Silva is a great fighter, but he's not the invincible monster everyone makes him out to be IMO.

I'm sure Dana White will fast track Brock to a title shot ASAP. Brock might have to face someone like Werdum first. If Brock were to fight Minotauro, he'd be submitted very quickly, and Brock aint knocking out Nog anytime soon.

I bet it will be Lesnar vs. Kongo... for the number 1 contender spot.

After one win? WTF?

No way does he get a title shot after one win.

Plus another issue is that Randy is the belt holder right now..

And his contract and fighter status is in limbo.

Wow that was a pretty good UFC on Saturday.. damn.. Jon Fitch can take a shot!!

That brock lesnar match started out pretty hilarious. The ref accidentally poke Herring in the eye even before the thing began hah. Remindmed me of the time in Pride the other guy blew Herring a kiss and Herring KO'd him in the staredown. But damn... if Lesnar gets his jiu jitsu down i dont know if he can be stopped. Hes just too big, too strong. Its possible that he might actually be able to finish Big Nog. Brock seems to have that type of strength.

GSP was amazing as usual. Fitch said GSP is a afraid to stand and is gunshy... well Jon figured out he is not gunshy and dropped him so many times. But fitch's jaw is made of iron. I liked the black Gi GSP came out in... it was like a dressy karate outfit heh.

I was dissapointed with Florian vs Huerta though. I thought Florian would be more agressive in the fight. Even though Huera lost at least he pused the pace of the fight. Kenny was backpeddling the whole time like Machida or Kalib Starnes. Its a good strategy to win but boring as hell to watch. Roger seemed pretty pissed off at that. In the post fight conference on mmaweekly.com he said that if he didnt initiate he didnt think there would be much of a fight for the fans.

GSP proved yesterday that he is the best p4p fighter out there. No one has come close to the amount of top 10 fighters he has faced.

Fedor is 2nd. BJ penn is 3rd. Then Shogun 4 even though he lost his last match, Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell.

Anderson Silva is a 6'2 220 pounder who cuts weight to fight cans at 185. Other than Dan Henderson and to an extent Rich Franklin Anderson keeps fighting average fighters. His next fight is against Patrick Cote... another can.. After Cote last match in which he looked horrible does winning actually get you a title shot like that? Oh well Anderson will punch this can and UFC will create fake hype for him again that hes the greatest hoping other people will by into it. Hes a guy that refuses to fight people his own size in LHW. He ducks top competition. UFC picks his opponents that are strikers to help sell him.

If Georges St Pierre was 6'2 220 pounds he would freaken smash Silva. It wouldnt even be close. Georges would get him down and it would be over.

How many people have tried to take Silva down? Lutter? he got the full mount no problem. Dan Henderson? and he beat down Anderson for a full round before getting cocky and wanting to stand. A wrestler can rip him apart. Only problem is that all the good middleweights are in Elite XC, Dream Fighting in Japan. So Anderson will beat Cote another can, then a can after him.

Georges has a chance at Silva now but.. its basically a WW fighting a LHW. Silva called out GSP... that pathetic. That like GSP calling out someone hes 4 inches taller than and 40 pounds heavier than. Like some featherweight who's 5'6, 140 pounds.. Silva should call out Chuck Lidell or Rampage, Forest who will wreslte him to the ground, Wanderlei Silva who can take a punch unlike the cans he fights...

but no.... he calls out the guy that is a lot smaller than him... big man anderson... big man...

As for BJ that guy does not deserve a title shot. Who the hell does he think he is? He loses in WW, drops back to LW avoids fighting anyone significant.. oither than sherk. Beating A featherweight pulver and a TUF fighter Stevenson does not mean you can beat Jon Fitch, out wrestle Kos, Diego Sanchez, Thiago Alves etc..

For some reason he thinks hes entittled to title shots after proving nothing in the last 4 years. He said "this is the NEW BJ PENN" did anyone see him in the octagon. The guy is fat as hell again. The sherk fight was when like 2 months ago.. down with BJ PENN! UFC knows theres $$$$ because BJ hasnt lost... because hes been fighting iffy fighters and so he seems invincible. I feel sorry for Georges kind of.. even thought he will take on anyone to prove hes the best. GSP fights the best of the best. Since 2004 every guy hes fought other than Serra has been a top 3 in the world fighter and then he got a title shot after UFC made him fight 5-6 top guys.

Bj penn does nothing and gets a title shot. Anderson Silva fights cans and is regarded as the best p4p ever in UFCs marketing tool. Anderson Silvas ppv numbers have always lacked. I think people know hes fighting cans and don buy into his p4p garbage. You have to fight more than 2 good guys to get p4p status. He said he wants to stick at middleweight and not LHW. Whhhhhyyyyyy there is no one in that division that is well rounded. Lutter is so lazy he couldnt even make weight. Cote was afraid of going to the ground last match... but i hope he upsets Anderson and just knocks him the hell out... ut it not going to happen..

hmm my Anderson Silva hatred has once again spewed..

I think i cant stand him because hes nowhere close to being p4p the best. Hes fought almost nobody good. Its all UFC hype. They try and get people to buy into it and feed him fighters that dont want to go to the ground.

GSP moving up to fight Silva is like Silva moving up to fight Lesnar....

I'd like to see both happen, but I'm just dreaming.

Any word on who Brock's next victim will be?

Not really, Silva moving up to fight Lesnar would be like GSP moving up to fight Machida.

hmm my Anderson Silva hatred has once again spewed..

I think i cant stand him because hes nowhere close to being p4p the best. Hes fought almost nobody good. Its all UFC hype. They try and get people to buy into it and feed him fighters that dont want to go to the ground.

I'll reply to this post instead of the last one to save everyone from scrolling, but...I completely agree. I would love to see Lidell/Forest/Jackson/Silva against...erm, Silva. That would be a whole new ball game.

Silva trying to cut down to 170 to fight GSP after "calling out" his camp would be amusing as all hell, though probably physically dangerous for Silva.

All I can do is trust in the UFC propaganda machine (ironic to say the least) in their hype for the upcoming TuF season where they boldly proclaim that the next big thing is here.

Maybe, just maybe they'll produce a 185'er tough and well rounded enough to take out the 205'er that currently holds the belt.

Oh, and don't get me started on the rich female dog that calls himself the LW champion. He's "champ" enough to try and revenge an embarrassing loss, but not champ enough to defend his title against a real LW threat like Florian?

Someone should get that kid an ice cream cone before he causes a scene for Daddy Dana.