The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

That is the prediction.

Vancouver, Western Canada facing record cold temperatures this winter

As Canadians wrap up what for most has been one of the warmest October weekends in recent memory, they can brace themselves for the coming winter with a long-term forecast calling for thick socks and thicker skins.

The forecast is for one of the coldest winters in the past 20 years for Western Canada, major snowstorms for Ontario and Quebec, and a drier than normal winter for Atlantic Canada, according to U.S.-based AccuWeather.com.

That's not to say that blasts of Arctic air won't chill Canadians east of Manitoba, but those bitter blasts will be short.

"You can be pretty confident that Western Canada will be pretty cold," said Brett Anderson, a senior meteorologist with AccuWeather.com.

Anderson said temperatures out West will be up to five degrees Celsius lower than normal, meaning temperatures will drop below zero in Vancouver and below about -20 C in Edmonton.

Vancouver will experience one of its coldest winters on record, Anderson said.

"The worst of the cold is going to be in Western Canada," Anderson said.

Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic provinces will see below average snowfall in December, but come January, things are going to change, Anderson said.

"Its going to be a slower start and then in January, February, it's going to be fairly active," Anderson said.

"That's when we're going see our significant snowfall events."

The reason for more snow and more cold? La Nina, a phenomenon that occurs when water temperatures across the central and eastern Pacific are below normal.

La Nina produces extreme cold across Western Canada during the winter while adding to snowfalls in Ontario and Quebec.

Water temperatures this year are pointing to a moderate strength La Nina, Anderson said, which help with the predictions.

This winter will see less snowfall in the Prairies, Anderson said, except in southwestern Alberta.

Because the Great Lakes are running warmer than normal, the areas around the lakes will have a greater amount of lake-effect snowfall, Anderson said.

http://www.canada.com/news/Vancouver+Western+Canada+facing+record+cold+temperatures+this+winter/5528542/story.html#ixzz1aWWQlU1A

These are probably the same people who called for a hot dry summer for western Canada. It could very well happen that it is cold and miserable, but I think they are just throwing darts at the weather dartboard. Too far away for an accurate assessment.

Not looking forward to being reminded how people down here drive in snow. Most can't even drive right in the rain. I mean, I know drivers everywhere suck, but a little snow and cold down here stirs panic like a pandemic in Madagascar.

Haha ya last year was supposed to be the "coldest winter" in recent memory as well and safe for a few cold snaps I think it was a pretty mild winter

They did say that this fall/winter will be a lot more stormy and I can already see that being the case - it's been very windy and already we've had a lot of days of heavy rain.

Sigh...guess it's time to bring up the winter coats. And I guess this means I'm gonna have to move my tennis matches to indoor courts. The weekend was beautiful on the outdoor courts. Cool, crisp air but nice and sunny. Best tennis conditions!

• 2 weeks later...

First snow of the season falling on the North Shore mountains and Whistler.

It is joy to some and headache for others, but the first snow of the season fell on the North Shore mountains this morning.

Sarah Lusk with Grouse Mountain says they got four centimetres of fresh powder since early this morning, and it is showing no signs of stopping.

"We are all very excited," said Lusk.

Grouse Mountain kicked off its skiing season on Nov. 20 last year.

"But with La Nina making another round, we are hoping that it could be sooner this year," said Lusk.

Mount Seymour experienced close to five centimeters of snow since about 8 a.m. today as well, and spokesperson Julie Mulligan says it's been coming down heavily and consistently.

"It is the very first snow, so we are all very excited. You can tell that temperatures have been dropping drastically, so to see snow today, everybody is really excited."

She says they are tentatively scheduled to kick off their skiing season on Nov. 26, but the mountain will open once the first 70 centimeters of snow cover the tracks.

At last report, Cypress Mountain was receiving close to two centimeters.

There were reports of snow in Whistler as well.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/First+snow+falls+North+Shore+mountains/5610707/story.html#ixzz1bvBsxfjf

<br />Is it suppose to snow alot this winter ??:D

I heard it's supposed to be a really cold winter, but I didn't hear anything about snow. Evan if the forcasters did predict it though, I probably wouldn't believe them. After they said that last year was supposed to be one of Vancouvers worst years for snow, and then it rained for 4 months straight, I lost quite a bit of faith in them.