The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

There are a few problems to that proposal...they are also suggesting running those boats from Ambleside to the wood pier at Jericho Beach and perhaps even Granville Island.

Are people really going to ride it? Comfort needs to be considered: i've been on one of those boats and they aren't very stable when they go quickly, and they are a bit cramped and old. Is it fast enough to compete with travel times with the car or even bus transit?

During rush hour congestion, probably.

If we want a serious harbour ferry system like Sydney and San Francisco, we will need to invest some serious capital into it (appealing ferry piers and new, high-speed boats) and re-route some of our buses so that they serve these ferry terminals.

If only Translink could get serious with SeaBus: why are the boats so small? (add another deck to it) And why are they so slow?

I suppose they could use bigger vessels if they were to cut down the frequency. As for why they're so slow, it probably has to do with wake and stability issues.

Hope this venture is a success and they get their ridership up, if for none other than to convince Translink that there is demand on the route and to replace it with a real transportation solution.

Gotta go on a minor Nanaimo transit rant here. There are NO buses that go to the Duke Point ferry terminal (which goes to tswassen sp?) Isn't that outrageous? No transit goes to a huge part of the town. How the hell are people supposed to get there if they don't have a car? Take a taxi? That would be well over 30 bucks.

Gotta go on a minor Nanaimo transit rant here. There are NO buses that go to the Duke Point ferry terminal (which goes to tswassen sp?) Isn't that outrageous? No transit goes to a huge part of the town. How the hell are people supposed to get there if they don't have a car? Take a taxi? That would be well over 30 bucks.

That is precisely why I never tried to venture to Nanaimo via the ferry, because I knew that there wouldn't be a transit option (besides driving) at the other end.

(I think Duke Point goes to Horseshoe Bay, mostly? Or it might be Tsawwassen... or both...)

Edited by BuckyHermit

That is precisely why I never tried to venture to Nanaimo via the ferry, because I knew that there wouldn't be a transit option (besides driving) at the other end.

(I think Duke Point goes to Horseshoe Bay, mostly? Or it might be Tsawwassen... or both...)

Only Tsawwassen. Departure Bay (also in Nanaimo) goes to Horseshoe Bay.

Nanaimo transit is the worst transit i've ever experienced. Even worse than my experiences in Delhi India, now that's saying something considering people sit on the roofs on buses there!

Only Tsawwassen. Departure Bay (also in Nanaimo) goes to Horseshoe Bay.

Nanaimo transit is the worst transit i've ever experienced. Even worse than my experiences in Delhi India, now that's saying something considering people sit on the roofs on buses there!

I want to see the Indians in Surrey do that.

Driver: "Please move to the back of the bus! Hmm. No more room? Alright, please move to the TOP of the bus!"

I want to see the Indians in Surrey do that.

Driver: "Please move to the back of the bus! Hmm. No more room? Alright, please move to the TOP of the bus!"

Now that would be the site. Could you imagine? I would move to Surrey just to witness that everyday. Surrey Jacks would literally feel on top of the world.

I was at the Brighouse skytrain station this afternoon. (around 3pm)

I noticed that a Transit Police was writing a ticket to a homeless lady.

Later, she was on the train.

She told people that she got a $173 fine ticket.

Please get the fare gates done as soon as possible!!!

I don't want to see any more homeless people at any sky train station.

West Vancouver approves ferry service

The District of West Vancouver approved a ferry service Monday night that will run from Ambleside Pier to downtown Vancouver.

The 67-seat vessel, operated by Coastal Link Ferries, will take passengers across in 10 minutes. It'll cost $4 for a one-way trip and $7 for a round trip.

The council approved a six-month trial that could begin as early as next month.

"It has been tried in the past but not on this scale," said owner Ihab Shaker. "Other people have tried it with much smaller vessels which were not economical to operate, or way bigger vessels, which again were not the right size at the time. I believe we have the right combination."

Coastal Ferries already runs a passenger ferry from Bowen Island to Vancouver.

In an interview Monday, Councillor Trish Panz told ctvbc.ca that the ferry service made sense.

"Certainly, when we're looking at the Olympics and asking people to consider other modes of transportation," Panz said. "I've personally got a lot of positive feedback from it."

Shaker says the last time West Vancouver had a regular ferry service to downtown Vancouver was 1958 -- 20 years after the construction of the Lions Gate Bridge.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C...ishColumbiaHome

The District of West Vancouver approved a ferry service Monday night that will run from Ambleside Pier to downtown Vancouver.

The 67-seat vessel, operated by Coastal Link Ferries, will take passengers across in 10 minutes. It'll cost $4 for a one-way trip and $7 for a round trip.

"It has been tried in the past but not on this scale," said owner Ihab Shaker. "Other people have tried it with much smaller vessels which were not economical to operate, or way bigger vessels, which again were not the right size at the time. I believe we have the right combination."

In an interview Monday, Councillor Trish Panz told ctvbc.ca that the ferry service made sense.

"Certainly, when we're looking at the Olympics and asking people to consider other modes of transportation," Panz said. "I've personally got a lot of positive feedback from it."

Shaker says the last time West Vancouver had a regular ferry service to downtown Vancouver was 1958 -- 20 years after the construction of the Lions Gate Bridge.

Best of luck to them, I wonder what boat they will use? The one that runs to Vancouver island hauls, it does 8 knots just idling. ... It creates some pretty significant wake. That may be a problem.

I have a friend from West Vancouver who would love this. I'd love it too, since it provides a good alternative to his place when the Lions Gate Bridge is being a b*tch.

Way to selectively read. The issue was unexpected. The engineers did not expect the clearance for the new SeaBus to be minimal.

No one checked the size of the boats when they built the terminal? No one checked the size of the terminal when they ordered to boats? Either way, why wasn't it expect?!?

I was at the Brighouse skytrain station this afternoon. (around 3pm)

I noticed that a Transit Police was writing a ticket to a homeless lady.

Later, she was on the train.

She told people that she got a $173 fine ticket.

Please get the fare gates done as soon as possible!!!

I don't want to see any more homeless people at any sky train station.

Good luck with that. Said lady would probably have just panhandled her way on, looked for a discarded transfter, etc.