The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

It seems like Translink has killed the idea of the airport add fare for the Canada Line. They have lowered it to making Sea Island a three-zone fare instead, which is $5.00. Had they sticked with the add fare, it would be $6.25.

In the picture below, you can really see how YVR is envisioning Templeton Station to become a drop off/pick up zone for passengers:

3990838579_d99e1fa822_b.jpg

Whoever made that cartoon forgot to figure out how you get out of that lot! lol.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...2304842840.html

The traditional solution to traffic congestion is to create additional road capacity. But projects like those almost always end up making the original problem worse because they generate what transportation planners call "induced traffic": every mile of new, open roadway encourages existing users to make more car trips, lures drivers away from other routes and tempts transit riders to return to their automobiles, with the eventual result that the new roads become at least as clogged as the old roads.

If they ever end up raising fares to do their new spending plan, I was thinking of a way to make it fairer. What I was thinking that there should be no more one zone fairs, but a simple 3.00 dollar two zone fare, and 6.00 dollar three zone fare. That way, sure you pay more, but you also have a fairer system and your basic fare takes you a lot further. The way it is now it's pretty stupid that it costs more for example to go from east van to west burnaby than to UBC.

Or, if you have smart cards, you can charge by distance like they do over here -- a flat rate for the first 10 km, then a small surcharge for every 5 km after that.

Or, if you have smart cards, you can charge by distance like they do over here -- a flat rate for the first 10 km, then a small surcharge for every 5 km after that.

Sure. My main point was that if they are going to raise rates they should at least try to make the system a little fairer, to be able to get more with a basic fare. It would also not require the installation of who knows how many smart card readers. That could be a goal, but the economics of the situation should be studied when money is apparently in short supply.

frack YEAH!!!!!!!

I really wish I could see it come in.

I briefly watched the new Seabus come in while I ran from the BCIT Marine campus to Lonsdale Quay to catch a bus on Friday. One thing that struck me was how high it was sitting in the water when compared to the Otter and Beaver. I was wondering if this was just due to some test they were doing with ballast durig sea trials or if the boat really will have that much freeboard when in service. I've tried to get a look at it in its berth here in North Van, but it is difficult to tell how she is lying in the water given the viewing angles available. Regardless, I have been able to see crew working away on the bridge presumably getting familiar with the ship's systems.