The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

http://www.vancouversun.com/Life/Transit+p...7276/story.html

BC Transit plan to search bus riders 'illegal,' civil liberties association says

VICTORIA — The B.C. Civil Liberties Association is condemning plans by BC Transit to search passengers for alcohol during Canada Day celebrations in Victoria.

BCCLA president Rob Holmes branded any such searches “illegal” and said persons who were subjected to such searches should consider launching a class-action lawsuit.

BC Transit provides transit services in urban centres other than Metro Vancouver.

TransLink, which provides transit in Metro, has no plans to search passengers on Canada Day, spokesman Ken Hardie said Friday.

Holmes said BC Transit has announced a policy of not allowing alcohol on transit vehicles during Canada Day and passengers will be asked to demonstrate compliance.

“The spectacle of transit employees patting down bus riders and pawing through their purses, bags, and satchels is disturbing. People are entitled to respect for their persons and effects,” Holmes said.

People who feel compelled to submit to a search, even if they consent to such a search in order to board a bus, may argue that they have been subjected to unlawful detention and search, he said.

Earlier this week, BC Transit president and CEO Michael Achadinah said passengers would not be allowed to bring alcohol on board buses during July 1.

He said the policy was prompted by past celebrations when excessive alcohol consumption led to assaults, injuries and vandalism on buses.

Achadinah said customers would be asked to demonstrate compliance by transit staff or local police.

I'm going to have to agree with the civil liberties association on this one. Carrying closed alcohol bottles in public is not illegal. What if you just want to bring some beer to your friend's Canada Day BBQ? So you can't take the bus now? Way to encourage people to drive rather than take the bus when they're planning to drink. Smart thinking right there.

Well, the article says they have no plans to search passengers. So you just have to hide it well I guess. (That's exactly what I plan to do if I end up going to a Canada Day BBQ, lol.)

*edit* Oh, I fail at reading comprehension. The quote was from Translink. They will be searching people in Victoria. That sucks.

Edited by cj_coolcat

nice camera!

A few friends of mine tagged along, along our way to see Transformers....they were impressed with the entrance, concourse, but once they got to the platform they were shocked at its small size.

The design wasn't that bad, and the platform was just as wide as most of our existing SkyTrain stations. Only the length of the platform is an issue, and perhaps the lack of clear signage.

The seats were atrocious...i couldn't help but laugh.

IMG_0994.jpg

C-Line%20Bus%20Route%202.jpg

If the Canada Line malfunctions, how will people get to the airport on time? They should keep the 424 bus as an alternative route to the airport.

I've taken public transit in Hong Kong. There are 20 buses that go to the airport plus one MTR station.

^ well, as per usual, whenever the train fails on SkyTrain they shuttle passengers between the failed stations/sections using buses. Keep in mind that Hong Kong's airport sees over 90-million passengers a year, compared to YVR's 18-million. And well, it's Hong Kong....you'd have to be a filthy millionaire over there to have your own car.

Edited by nitronuts