The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

The design wasn't that bad, and the platform was just as wide as most of our existing SkyTrain stations. Only the length of the platform is an issue, and perhaps the lack of clear signage.

The seats were atrocious...i couldn't help but laugh.

IMG_0994.jpg

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Looks like a Lego chair. :lol:

^ well, as per usual, whenever the train fails on SkyTrain they shuttle passengers between the failed stations/sections using buses. Keep in mind that Hong Kong's airport sees over 90-million passengers a year, compared to YVR's 18-million. And well, it's Hong Kong....you'd have to be a filthy millionaire over there to have your own car.

We're talking Hong Kong dollars though, so that's not saying too much. :lol:

^ it actually wasn't THAT bad, apart from the terrible signage.

1. There will be a final open house on July 25th of the Vancouver City Centre station.

2. Each station with a Jugo Juice has public washrooms, though they are locked. One must ask for a key from the juice stand or a station attendant. The Transit Police are really anxious about the washrooms but Vancouver's bylaws require them because I guess Jugo Juice technically counts as a restaurant.

3. The ad revenue for the Canada Line goes to Translink and not ProTrans.

4. While Serco is no longer a permanent partner in ProTrans, most of the senior people getting the Canada Line up and running are from Serco's Docklands LRT operation.

5. The C-unit cars that will evenutally be added to extend the trains will have a passenger capacity of approximately 100 people, thereby increasing each C-Line train to about 500 passengers. (for what it's worth that is about what a a very full 747 jumbo jet can carry)

6. The C-Line will definately be open before Labour Day. When they would not say. My money is on the BC Day long weekend.

7. The airport premium will be $2.50 and that must be paid by all people travelling to the airport. The add-fare for the YVR premium must be paid at a Canada Line Station. The option will not exist in rest of the SkyTrain system's ticket vending machines.

8. Complaints about the C-Line go to Translink. There will not be a second bureaucracy for the public to navigate.

9. There are peformance bonuses and penalties for ProTrans that will affect their remuneration. A 400 page document between Translink and ProTrans lays out all the metrics for level of service, on-time service, passenger comfort, cleanliness, safety, etc.

10. There will be a much greater number of attendants on the C-Line and in its station than we are used to on SkyTrain. It was hinted that there will be performance bonuses for staff when the company meets its performance targets.

Will there still be buses that go to Langara now that Canada Line is open? I'm thinking it will be faster to bus from Metrotown than take the skytrain all the way downtown then switch to the Canada Line.

Will there still be buses that go to Langara now that Canada Line is open? I'm thinking it will be faster to bus from Metrotown than take the skytrain all the way downtown then switch to the Canada Line.

That question is so moronic I'm not even going to dignify it with a response.

edit: oh what the hell, logic would tell you that no - the 49 will not be affected. For one thing, the Canada Line serves the north-south corridor between downtown, Vancouver, YVR, and Richmond (and along with that, the south of Fraser bus commuters). The 49 on the other hand serves the east-west corridor between Metrotown/Burnaby, Vancouver, and UBC. You might as well ask if they'll cancel all bus service in the region once the Canada Line opens.

^ it actually wasn't THAT bad, apart from the terrible signage.

1. There will be a final open house on July 25th of the Vancouver City Centre station.

2. Each station with a Jugo Juice has public washrooms, though they are locked. One must ask for a key from the juice stand or a station attendant. The Transit Police are really anxious about the washrooms but Vancouver's bylaws require them because I guess Jugo Juice technically counts as a restaurant.

3. The ad revenue for the Canada Line goes to Translink and not ProTrans.

4. While Serco is no longer a permanent partner in ProTrans, most of the senior people getting the Canada Line up and running are from Serco's Docklands LRT operation.

5. The C-unit cars that will evenutally be added to extend the trains will have a passenger capacity of approximately 100 people, thereby increasing each C-Line train to about 500 passengers. (for what it's worth that is about what a a very full 747 jumbo jet can carry)

6. The C-Line will definately be open before Labour Day. When they would not say. My money is on the BC Day long weekend.

7. The airport premium will be $2.50 and that must be paid by all people travelling to the airport. The add-fare for the YVR premium must be paid at a Canada Line Station. The option will not exist in rest of the SkyTrain system's ticket vending machines.

8. Complaints about the C-Line go to Translink. There will not be a second bureaucracy for the public to navigate.

9. There are peformance bonuses and penalties for ProTrans that will affect their remuneration. A 400 page document between Translink and ProTrans lays out all the metrics for level of service, on-time service, passenger comfort, cleanliness, safety, etc.

10. There will be a much greater number of attendants on the C-Line and in its station than we are used to on SkyTrain. It was hinted that there will be performance bonuses for staff when the company meets its performance targets.

What if I have a monthly bus pass? Do I still need to pay the $2.50?

That question is so moronic I'm not even going to dignify it with a response.

edit: oh what the hell, logic would tell you that no - the 49 will not be affected. For one thing, the Canada Line serves the north-south corridor between downtown, Vancouver, YVR, and Richmond (and along with that, the south of Fraser bus commuters). The 49 on the other hand serves the east-west corridor between Metrotown/Burnaby, Vancouver, and UBC. You might as well ask if they'll cancel all bus service in the region once the Canada Line opens.

Hey I don't take the bus, or any buses pretty much ever. And I hadn't done research on how to get there yet. But if it took the same amount of time for the bus to go point A to point B as Skytrain, and Skytrain obviously being much cheaper to operate...

Although I guess people still need to use those stops in between. Ok yeah it was a dumb post. I think my theory was that nobody needed the stops in between. Woops.

^ the difference is those airport lines are express/high-speed lines to the city centre, so a premium is justified. The Canada Line is just any other metro train....for example, four trains go to London's Heathrow and there isn't a premium for the underground stations there.

It'll cost you an extra $2.50 to take the Canada Line from YVR to outside of Sea Island, but it'll be a regular fare if you go into Sea Island/YVR. Retarded? Yes.

And of course, travel within the three Sea Island stations is free.

I have heard time and time again how in Europe and Asia, airports are treated as if they are part of the transporatation system whereas here in North America they're treated as tourist cash grabs.

Edited by nitronuts