The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

It should work out if they strictly force all overflow traffic that way, instead of taking a half assed approach to it.

Don't compromise both the environment and aviation safety for the convenience of the Sea Island location.

To ensure Mirabel Airport's survival, all international flights for Montréal were banned from Dorval Airport from 1975 to 1997. However, public pressure in support of Dorval prevented its planned closure, yet Dorval's continued existence made Mirabel comparatively expensive and unattractive to airlines and travelers alike. Dorval was only 20 minutes away from the city core while it took 50 minutes to get to Mirabel in ideal traffic conditions. In the end, Dorval became Montreal's main airport while Mirabel was reduced to flights for cargo, film studios, and development space for Bombardier.

Abbotsford is simply way too far from the core of the region's population...and from Downtown. It's bound to be a disaster. And having an airport near your downtown is always a major attraction.

Edited by nitronuts

To ensure Mirabel Airport's survival, all international flights for Montréal were banned from Dorval Airport from 1975 to 1997. However, public pressure in support of Dorval prevented its planned closure, yet Dorval's continued existence made Mirabel comparatively expensive and unattractive to airlines and travelers alike. Dorval was only 20 minutes away from the city core while it took 50 minutes to get to Mirabel in ideal traffic conditions. In the end, Dorval became Montreal's main airport while Mirabel was reduced to flights for cargo, film studios, and development space for Bombardier.

Abbotsford is simply way too far from the core of the region's population...and from Downtown. It's bound to be a disaster. And having an airport near your downtown is always a major attraction.

Sounds to me the difference here is that Dorval/Trudeau still had room for more traffic. We're talking about a situation here where YVR is maxed out, right?

Sounds to me the difference here is that Dorval/Trudeau still had room for more traffic. We're talking about a situation here where YVR is maxed out, right?

Maxed out is a different issue. I thought you were suggesting to abandon Sea Island entirely.

YVR probably won't max. out in any of our lifetimes, and although it does seem cramp it does have plenty of capacity. Note that few metropolitan cities around the world have more than one international airport, Vancouver would need to develop a much higher population (and population density) to support two major international airports.

YVR currently serves 18-million people a year....with terminal and runway expansions, it could certainly reach 40 to 50-million before we would have to think about a secondary airport. And our region would need 5-6 million people to have 40-50 million pass through the gate of YVR every year.

How about without the extra runway out to sea?

A fourth runway would be one of the last runways YVR would be able to build, without completely reconfiguring Sea Island to use the island's space as efficiently as possible for more runways. The fourth runway out to sea would mean YVR would be able to handle 450,000 more flights annually. And a shorter fifth runway on the southern portion of the island would also increase the airport's flight numbers by 200,000 annually.

You could build an Abbottsford International Airport. The problem is, there isn't enough demand for two major airports in this region. Abbottsford will likely remain as a regional airport. In addition, it's up to the airlines: why would they want to use Abby instead of YVR?

I think you're rather making a mountain of a molehill out of the YVR "space problem", it's hardly an issue.

A few things I've heard of, that should be 95% accurate:

1) the Canada Line will begin service on Monday, August 17th

2) there will be no feeder bus lines to the Canada Line until September....the change in the region's bus routes won't occur until school starts (the 98 B-Line and commuter buses on Granville will remain until September). InTransitBC only decided on the August 17th opening date this past week, certainly not giving Translink enough time to prepare.

3) there are fears there may not be enough buses to transport people around during the Olympics. There was talk of borrowing buses from Seattle. However there was a problem as to who would drive them. Seattle suggested their drivers, but the union here said no way!

A few things I've heard of, that should be 95% accurate:

1) the Canada Line will begin service on Monday, August 17th

2) there will be no feeder bus lines to the Canada Line until September....the change in the region's bus routes won't occur until school starts (the 98 B-Line and commuter buses on Granville will remain until September). InTransitBC only decided on the August 17th opening date this past week, certainly not giving Translink enough time to prepare.

3) there are fears there may not be enough buses to transport people around during the Olympics. There was talk of borrowing buses from Seattle. However there was a problem as to who would drive them. Seattle suggested their drivers, but the union here said no way!

Considering there is not enough buses now I would not be surprised when it comes to the Olympics. Translink had how many years to figure this crap out? Wow.

Considering there is not enough buses now I would not be surprised when it comes to the Olympics. Translink had how many years to figure this crap out? Wow.

And it certainly doesn't help either when Vancouver School Board decided not to move spring break up a week for their own political motives.

They'll also have 30 spare articulated buses to work with the 98 B-Line being shut down....perhaps that's why they're not using those buses for a new B-Line route until after the Games.

Edited by nitronuts

A fourth runway would be one of the last runways YVR would be able to build, without completely reconfiguring Sea Island to use the island's space as efficiently as possible for more runways. The fourth runway out to sea would mean YVR would be able to handle 450,000 more flights annually. And a shorter fifth runway on the southern portion of the island would also increase the airport's flight numbers by 200,000 annually.

You could build an Abbottsford International Airport. The problem is, there isn't enough demand for two major airports in this region. Abbottsford will likely remain as a regional airport. In addition, it's up to the airlines: why would they want to use Abby instead of YVR?

I think you're rather making a mountain of a molehill out of the YVR "space problem", it's hardly an issue.

The shore off of Sea Island is an environmentally sensitive wetland, right? I imagine attempting to infill it will be met with much opposition and resistance.

And it certainly doesn't help either when Vancouver School Board decided not to move spring break up a week for their own political motives.

They'll also have 30 spare articulated buses to work with the 98 B-Line being shut down....perhaps that's why they're not using those buses for a new B-Line route until after the Games.

UBC is closed during the Olympics too, no? That should free up a lot of buses.

So what is their suggested alternative?

How does bringing in some relief drivers over a two week period under very special circumstances threaten their livelihoods anyways? I figured rushing their work visa applications would be a greater hurdle.

The shore off of Sea Island is an environmentally sensitive wetland, right? I imagine attempting to infill it will be met with much opposition and resistance.

Pretty much.

Much like the so called toll to Grant McConachie (laugh) or a toll on the Aurthur Laing (last resort) there are things that can be done to improve traffic before something that drastic happens. The north runway is just over a decade old, I don't think runways are at capacity quite yet.

Of course, if it really becamen necesary, you could build it like a giant bridge on peirs out to the ocean for the parts that need to be out there. It would be expensive but it would probably pass enviro review since it would be so much less of an impact.

Edited by ronthecivil

Well, translink could just give them a wink wink nudge nudge and they could operate privately on their own. You can bet companies like greyhound will be here trying to fill in any gaps that are missing. I could see for example an Abbottsford to the end of the skytrain and a downtown to Whistler service being much much more econimically feasible and good reason to increase service.

The union can't do anything about that. All translink has to do is publisise what the olympic routes and schedules will be, and enterprising people will fill in the rest.

We've discussed that before....it's bound to be a failure. I'll even nickname it Mirabel II!

True, but if it's allowed to grow naturally, as it's doing, and eventually transit service is expanded to out there, then it could at least handle some of the traffic. They have enough people to support and AHL franchise apparently. And I think it would be closer to Surrey and Langley for sure than YVR, regions of high growth.

Unless you have a crazy Fed scheme in place instead of good business practice there is no danger of it being Mirable II.