The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Summer as in overall ideal cycling conditions. We had a few days of rain the week before they converted the bridge to bike lanes. My whole point was to compare summer vs. winter cycling numbers. Come winter, with cold, rain, fog, and snow few would want to ride their bike.

Well sure, naturally there will be fewer cyclists. There are fewer cars on the road during the summer so are you suggesting we close more lanes to car traffic and convert them to bike lanes in the summer? ;)

Well sure, naturally there will be fewer cyclists. There are fewer cars on the road during the summer so are you suggesting we close more lanes to car traffic and convert them to bike lanes in the summer? ;)

Are you fracking with us, or do you really not get it?

The whole trial cost us $1.5-million....surely, money could be spent more efficiently rather than wasting money to add temporary bike lanes for just a few weeks every summer.

There's no comparison with roads. Roads are the lifeblood of any city in the world. The point is: cycling in Vancouver is a seasonal thing. In winter, cyclists are almost non-existent. Cars and buses will always be around, all seasons.

Edited by nitronuts

The whole trial cost us $1.5-million....surely, money could be spent more efficiently every summer than simply adding temporary bike lanes.

There's no comparison with roads. Roads are the lifeblood of any city in the world.

I suggest you check out the link I provided in the urban planning thread :)

And I suggest you not use the 'money being spent efficiently' angle when arguing for automobiles...

I suggest you check out the link I provided in the urban planning thread :)

And I suggest you not use the 'money being spent efficiently' angle when arguing for automobiles...

Terrible examples of car-free "cities" when we're a region of 2.3-million.

Sark Island, United Kingdom | Pop: 560

Mackinac Island, Mich., United States | Pop: 600

The Medina of Fes-al-Bali, Morocco | Pop: 156,000

Hydra, Saronic Islands, Greece | Pop: 3,000

La Cumbrecita, Argentina | Pop: 345

Lamu Island, Kenya | Pop: 2,000-plus

Venice, Italy | Pop: 70,000

Buses use the same roads that cars do. Ideally, I'd have two lanes of the Burrard Street Bridge turned into HOV lanes.

Buses use the same roads that cars do. Ideally, I'd have two lanes of the Burrard Street Bridge turned into HOV lanes.

You know, if we start digging up Richmond, I bet we can make that a car-free zone too

I was mostly joking hence the winky face. I know they are able to do that due to size...

The point is it hasn't been the chaos everyone predicted. We'll see what it's like in September, but it seems to me whenever everyone predicts chaos (Burrard, critical mass), nothing happens.

Perhaps the improved busses and Canada line will take some pressure off the other bridges which in turn spreads the potential extra pressure on Burrard off to them and everyone lives happily ever after.

^ lol a wink usually infers to being smug or self-righteous. You didn't put a wink, rather a smiley.

There was a lot of media attention with the Burrard Street Bridge closure. It simply scared everyone away. Same goes for the ridiculous Critical Mass protest, people simply avoided downtown altogether.

Some info on opening day from Jhen at Buzzer Blog:

1pm - 9pm is the free ride period for the public. Before 1pm, Canada Line is *not* in official service, although trains will be rolling around — various dignitaries will be riding it to the opening ceremony, which, to my knowledge, is not actually a public event.

So the public can’t get on the Canada Line until 1pm, basically! But after that you have a 8h window to ride for free. Service closes down at 9pm, and then opens the next morning at regular Canada Line hours, for revenue service.

And of course, bus route changes and cancellations start on September 7.

Seattle's LINK light rail system opened in mid-July, ridership has been somewhat of a disaster considering this is a $3-billion, 22.5-km line:

Ouch.

Seattle light rail averages about 12,000 daily boardings during first week

3769118255_19f628d7a7.jpg

(Sound Transit Link getting an average of 12,000 riders a day.)

Posted by Scott Gutierrez at July 30, 2009 12:33 p.m.

The Seattle Post Intelligencer

AJM STUDIOS.NET Northwest Development News Center

SEATTLE - - Sound Transit's Central Link Light rail averaged an estimated 12,000 riders boardings each weekday during it's first week of service, Sound Transit reported Thursday.

Another 16,900 boardings were recorded on the light rail last Saturday. About 15,100 were counted on the light rail Sunday, the agency reported.

The 14-mile line between Westlake Center and Tukwila opened on July 18.

Sound Transit predicts that light rail will average about 21,000 riders on weekdays by the end of 2009. Daily ridership is expected to jump above 26,000 after a 1.3-mile segment between Tukwila and Sea-Tac International Airport opens in December.

An average of 1,300 riders each day took connector buses between the Tukwila light rail station and Sea-Tac during the first week of service.

"We're encouraged by the large numbers of people who boarded light rail on opening weekend and have started using it every day," said Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels, who serves as chairman of Sound Transit's board.

A 14-mile (22.5-km) line only gets 12,000 weekday boardings. That's just embarrassing. Even the future ridership projections are quite low for all the money spent to build it, to operate it, and for a line that is 22.5-kms long.

That's lower than the ridership of most Vancouver bus routes. :D

Statistics from 2007

ridership.png

Statistics from 2007

#	Route	Boardings

==	=====	=========

1	 99	44,000

2	 20	30,500

3	  9	28,500

4	 98	27,500

5	 41	27,000

6	  3	22,000

7	 22	21,500

8	  8	21,500

9	 17	20,500

10	 16	19,000

11	 25	18,500

12	135	16,500

13	106	15,500

14	 49	15,200

15	 10	13,800

16	 19	13,800

17	  7	12,300

18	410	11,000

19	  5	10,500

20	130	10,400

21	 97	10,200

22	145	10,200

23	 15	 9,800

Statistics from 2002

vanroutes.png

Edited by nitronuts

Yay August 17th

I can't wait, its gonna be AWESOME.

After all these years of construction.

After all these businesses going down on Cambie.

I can't wait to take the empty 98 B-Line to work.

...for 22 days. :lol:

Seattle's LINK light rail system opened in mid-July, ridership has been somewhat of a disaster considering this is a $3-billion, 22.5-km line:

Ouch.

Seattle light rail averages about 12,000 daily boardings during first week

3769118255_19f628d7a7.jpg

(Sound Transit Link getting an average of 12,000 riders a day.)

Posted by Scott Gutierrez at July 30, 2009 12:33 p.m.

The Seattle Post Intelligencer

AJM STUDIOS.NET Northwest Development News Center

SEATTLE - - Sound Transit's Central Link Light rail averaged an estimated 12,000 riders boardings each weekday during it's first week of service, Sound Transit reported Thursday.

Another 16,900 boardings were recorded on the light rail last Saturday. About 15,100 were counted on the light rail Sunday, the agency reported.

The 14-mile line between Westlake Center and Tukwila opened on July 18.

Sound Transit predicts that light rail will average about 21,000 riders on weekdays by the end of 2009. Daily ridership is expected to jump above 26,000 after a 1.3-mile segment between Tukwila and Sea-Tac International Airport opens in December.

An average of 1,300 riders each day took connector buses between the Tukwila light rail station and Sea-Tac during the first week of service.

"We're encouraged by the large numbers of people who boarded light rail on opening weekend and have started using it every day," said Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels, who serves as chairman of Sound Transit's board.

A 14-mile (22.5-km) line only gets 12,000 weekday boardings. That's just embarrassing. Even the future ridership projections are quite low for all the money spent to build it, to operate it, and for a line that is 22.5-kms long.

That's lower than the ridership of most Vancouver bus routes. :D

A rather odd choice of route has been chosen for it. It runs to mainly areas of low density, and grazes past the biggest shopping mall in the region without actually stopping at it.

They just had to rush into the rail transit to the airport league of cities, without considering more practical routes to serve the needs of the local populace.

Edited by Buggernut

^ so, it would've been equivalent to building the Canada Line along Arbutus or building the Canada Line down Cambie as a street level LRT line that crosses traffic intersections and there's no station at Oakridge?