The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Lets just say that Richmond isn't very pedestrian friendly, and as a result it really does hinder the whole bus ridership thing.

With all that said, I'm not saying Richmond shouldn't get more bus service. It definitely needs and deserves a lot more. But the city, like Surrey and other suburbs, isn't very well planned for transit but rather for the automobile.

As for cul de sacs, they aren't pedestrian friendly. Most of Richmond's side street network is like a maze. It has been proven that the most pedestrian friendly street network is the grid system, like Vancouver's.

I have no idea where you get that idea... Even cul-de-sacs often have a path that connects you to a road behind the cul-de-sacs' houses, so it's possible to cut through a "Richmond block" diagonally.

I have no idea where you get that idea... Even cul-de-sacs often have a path that connects you to a road behind the cul-de-sacs' houses, so it's possible to cut through a "Richmond block" diagonally.

Sounds more like a maze.

Whichever way you put it, the grid system is the most pedestrian friendly system.

Anyhow, I have highly reliable sources that construction for the Evergreen Line will start next summer!

Sounds more like a maze.

Whichever way you put it, the grid system is the most pedestrian friendly system.

Anyhow, I have highly reliable sources that construction for the Evergreen Line will start next summer!

At least you're not one of those people who say Surrey's easier to navigate than Richmond...

At least you're not one of those people who say Surrey's easier to navigate than Richmond...

I would say Richmond is one of the better ones in the region, definitely better than Surrey. It's more or less tied with Burnaby.

transit%20linedec2408.jpg

Line up for the Expo Line SkyTrain at Broadway Station

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - One look at the traffic cameras on our website will confirm that heavy snow is making a mess of the roads, impacting transit on Christmas Eve. Here's the latest update from TransLink (as of 3 PM):

SKYTRAIN - is operating on its Snow Plan, which means longer trains, each attended by a SkyTrain Attendant. The most recent crisis -- a tree, falling into the guideway between Nanaimo and 29th Ave Stations -- has been dealt with: the tree has been chopped up and removed. We can expect weather-related service delays throughout the afternoon and evening, but trains are moving. The Millennium Line is running "segregated" from the Expo Line, which means trains are running VCC-Clark to Columbia, then turning around; this improves service on both lines.

ON THE BUSES - There are spot delays in places: some routes are not going the full distance, such as the #20, terminating at 54th Ave. loop and not going to Harrison Loop because the hill is too treacherous. The #16 is not travelling on Renfrew at all, because of the monster hills on the route towards 29th Ave. Station.

Buses are losing traction on 10th Ave. between Alma and Blanca (UBC). 40' buses are being used instead of the 60' articulated buses until city crews can get the road plowed and/or sanded.

Most North Vancouver routes are on their regular routes now, except for the 210, which is omitting anything north of Dempsey

West Vancouver Blue Bus is on Snow Route throughout. The #257 Horseshoe Bay Express is running along Marine Drive to Horseshoe Bay and is NOT GOING TO THE FERRY TERMINAL but is turning around at Marine Drive and Nelson.

Service to and from Vancouver is off-schedule, but is running.

The #253 Caulfeild is terminated.

Buses going to SFU are only going as far as Production Way Station or Hastings and Duthie, and shuttles are bridging the gap to and from campus.

Bowen Island Community Shuttle is cancelled due to road conditions

WEST COAST EXPRESS will run this afternoon. It's on Christmas Eve schedule, leaving Waterfront Station at 1pm, 3pm, 4:20pm, 5:30pm, 6:20pm, with TrainBuses at 7 & 8pm

Please remember to dress for the weather and expect long waits at bus stops and on SkyTrain platforms.

Today afternoon at Granville Station, the platform for the skytrain heading eastbound is jam packed. There were hundreds if not thousands. Instead of waiting hours to catch a ride, I took the skytrain heading westbound to Waterfront, then from Waterfront, I head eastbound. I'm smarter than the average person.

Today afternoon at Granville Station, the platform for the skytrain heading eastbound is jam packed. There were hundreds if not thousands. Instead of waiting hours to catch a ride, I took the skytrain heading westbound to Waterfront, then from Waterfront, I head eastbound. I'm smarter than the average person.

No, you're just less stupider :P

Buddy I doubt there were "thousands".

A lot of people do that.. :huh: haha

but congrats on beating the crowds

Now you know my strategy for 491 southbound in the evening...

8,000 people were stuck waiting at Metrotown Station on Boxing Day....utterly amazing.

Anyhow, the 48 new additional Mark II cars currently being manufactured and to be delivered 2009/2010 have a different interior configuration designed for improved passenger circulation, which may yield a slightly higher average passenger capacity. The current seating configuration in the Mark II's is terrible for passenger circulation, and there are not enough bars/poles to hold on to for the available standing space - it's out of proportion. Personally, I would love to have subway side seating (no more row seats) and a ton of bars for optimum usage of space.