The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Congrats to Li Na on her retirement from pro tennis. She will be missed. I really liked her style of play, and of course, her personality was really great too. But she did great things for Chinese tennis so she should be incredibly proud

Wimbledon final rematch in Wuhan - Kvitova vs Genie. Genie disposed of Wozniacki in pretty simple fashion in the semis.

Genie seems to have a real tough time with lefties.

Milos is not in the same league as Nishikori. Nish is a far more well rounded player.

Despite their Head to Head, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Nishikori is clearly better but not by leaps and bounds. Besides their first ever match in Tokyo in 2012 (and even that did go 3 sets), every match they've played since then has basically come down to who played the big points better.

Madrid: Nishikori def. Raonic 7-6(5), 7-6(5)

Wimbledon: Raonic def. Nishikori 4-6, 6-1, 7-6(4), 6-3

US Open: Nishikori def. Raonic 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-7(6), 7-5, 6-4

Tokyo 2014: Nishikori def. Raonic 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4

When it comes to how much they threaten the Big 4 (really more like Big 3), then I'd agree that Nishikori is clearly a tier above Raonic.

• 3 weeks later...

Done!! A Canadian in both the WTA and ATP Finals! Pretty impressive. Congrats Milos!

It's just too bad that PospiSock couldn't qualify on the doubles side. If they'd only played a few more tournaments together. For the whole asian swing they were playing different tourneys. Pospisil even won doubles title with Zimonjic, so he was on his doubles game. Oh well, next year for them.

The Nishikori-Ferrer match was maddening to live score. There were as many breaks of serve as holds of serve in the second set. Ferrer had a 2:1 unforced error to winner ratio, and Nishikori had a 3:2 unforced error to winner ratio. Honestly they both played terrible.

Raonic has a great chance to reach his second career Masters 1000 Final here. Berdych is a much easier SF opponent than Djokovic. A Raonic-Djokovic or Raonic-Nishikori Final would be outstanding.

Raonic-Djokovic is at 3 am tomorrow. Wake up, stay up, or PVR?

Yikes. The "fall back" complicates things a bit because the time officially changes at 2am. I have to work tomorrow so probably will monitor twitter for updates and if, by some miracle, it looks like Milos is going to pull of the upset, I'll run downstairs and tune in!