The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

Fun fact:

The earthquake moved Japan 8 feet closer to Vancouver.

Are you sure? Japan is over a subduction zone, so the tectonic plate would be pushing it toward the mainland. Unless it was snapping back after being under pressure or something.

edit: Nevermind. CalTech says it moved east too.

Edited by Truculence

I understand the need to avoid panick but the government and everyone involved need to reveal everything about the nuclear situation. All these conflicting reports are not helping anyone. As someone said before, its troubling when you get conflicting reports from reputable sources like Reuters, BBC, CNN etc and then you've got the 'other' sources that spit out nonsense which gets continually RT or posted etc.

Edited by P.OneOh

I understand the need to avoid panick but the government and everyone involved need to reveal everything about the nuclear situation. All these conflicting reports are not helping anyone. As someone said before, its troubling when you get conflicting reports from reputable sources like Reuters, BBC, CNN etc and then you've got the 'other' sources that spit out nonsense which gets continually RT or posted etc.

It's better to have too much info than too little. The Soviets refused to tell the world about Chernobyl until it was too late.

More on the higher radioactivity level at the nuclear plant. The Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco) has informed the government of an "emergency situation" but this does not mean an immediate threat to human health, the company adds. A similar rise in radiation levels occurred after the company released radioactive steam from another reactor to let go of pressure. On that occasion too, the company was obliged to inform the government of an "emergency situation".

-BBC live feed

Edited by Sacha Michel

The earthquake-cum-tsunami packed such fury that it has moved Japan's main island, Honshu, by about 8 feet. It's also caused the Earth's axis to wobble by about 4 inches – something that experts say will lead to the shortening of the day by 1.6 microseconds, or just over a millionth of a second.

These very tiny changes happen because of changes in the speed of rotation of the Earth as surface mass gets shifted around in earthquakes, says Patrick Dasgupta, professor of astrophysics in Delhi University.

As portions of the Earth's surface shift, there is a bit of an extra wobble in the planet's rotation around its axis. This causes an increase in the speed of spinning, resulting in shortening of the day, said Dasgupta. This, however, will have no impact on life on Earth, he added.

The 2004 Asian tsunami had clipped the Earth's day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted its axis by about 3 inches. The Chilean quake of 2010 too shortened the day by 1.26 microseconds and changed the axis by 3 inches.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Earths-axis-wobbles-your-days-shorter/articleshow/7689494.cms

The earthquake-cum-tsunami packed such fury that it has moved Japan's main island, Honshu, by about 8 feet. It's also caused the Earth's axis to wobble by about 4 inches – something that experts say will lead to the shortening of the day by 1.6 microseconds, or just over a millionth of a second.

These very tiny changes happen because of changes in the speed of rotation of the Earth as surface mass gets shifted around in earthquakes, says Patrick Dasgupta, professor of astrophysics in Delhi University.

As portions of the Earth's surface shift, there is a bit of an extra wobble in the planet's rotation around its axis. This causes an increase in the speed of spinning, resulting in shortening of the day, said Dasgupta. This, however, will have no impact on life on Earth, he added.

The 2004 Asian tsunami had clipped the Earth's day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted its axis by about 3 inches. The Chilean quake of 2010 too shortened the day by 1.26 microseconds and changed the axis by 3 inches.

http://timesofindia....how/7689494.cms

Damnit. I want my millionth of a second back. The days are short enough as it is.

Just got home (parents' place) and been watching NHK at the moment.

The government just had a statement regarding the nuclear power plants.

Looks like they're using sea water and a pump to cool the reactors.

9 people so far has the possibility of being exposed to radiation but it seems like it's still not an amount to be overly worried about.

114 people (mostly elderly and sick/disabled) are still left behind.

People in the 10km radius have been evacuated since morning. People in the 3km radius have been evacuated already.

Sorry if this isn't 'new' news to people.

Coming from you....I'll wear it as a badge of honour.

By the way.....there's that little ignore option you have, to relieve yourself of any of my annoyances. Use it or shut it.

Ahahaa. :) shine on you crazy diamond.

K, advised ignore button pressed, the only advice I'll ever take from such a self righteous digital person. You and Dazzle may be the same person, I wonder about that.

Edited by -CoHo-
  • Upvote 3

Just got home (parents' place) and been watching NHK at the moment.

The government just had a statement regarding the nuclear power plants.

Looks like they're using sea water and a pump to cool the reactors.

9 people so far has the possibility of being exposed to radiation but it seems like it's still not an amount to be overly worried about.

114 people (mostly elderly and sick/disabled) are still left behind.

People in the 10km radius have been evacuated since morning. People in the 3km radius have been evacuated already.

Sorry if this isn't 'new' news to people.

That's kind of awful. I know it's only because it can't be helped, but I don't think I could leave my grandma behind should this happen here.